Can exotics and amateur racing substitute for golf? | FerrariChat

Can exotics and amateur racing substitute for golf?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ryalex, Apr 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Going through a business program and now law school, I can't count the number of times I've heard, "Well, you'd better learn to play golf!" My old boss made it a habit of asking me every other week if I did, and then never invite me (obviously because I admitted to not knowing how).

I'm not really interested in golf, for better or worse.

However, I keep hoping that my penchant for cars will suffice in earning my "cool and interesting" stripes in the business world. Maybe those activities could replace golfing.

Is this possible, or should I just break down and take up golf?

2. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    Golf is no more than a good walk spoiled.

3. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    heh

Playing with balls < Racing with balls

4. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    A lot of those rich guys at the top of law firms/banks are racers! Although a lot more aren't (but it makes sense, as it takes a ton of money to race). I plan on being able to do both if possible. I enjoy golf just enough to make me keep playing. I should have stuck with it and maybe it could have gotten me into college, but I decided to screw around and quit after my freshman year. Would have been fun too since my team has made it to state the last 3 years.

My brother is picking up the golf for my family. He is doing pretty well for being a freshman with a birthday in august (essentially one year younger than everyone else). You should see his trophy collection.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Actually in the corporate world Golf is the main game, if not the only game that many play. Thus many corporate functions are organised around a golf game.

And as you probably know already it is not what you know but WHO you know that counts and when that invite comes to play that game of golf ... and you CAN'T, then you will be missing 4 hours of networking with somebody that might change your future.

Even if they are into motorsport ... it is very unlikely that you will be able to talk to them at a race meeting, as driving requires concentration and they probably don't want a Co driver ;).

If you do not know golf is about hitting a little white ball ... and then huge slow walks in between ... LOTS of chatting and business talk goes on in this part!@!

That is what they are talking about ... ;) and while you are NOT there your co-workers are sucking up to your boss and building that important relationship.

Pete

6. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Crappity. To the driving range for me, I guess.

7. Bad Chariot

Bad Chariot Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Reading, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Don't get too good at golf for your boss will start asking you questions like "Geesh you are getting really good at golf...you must not be working too hard!" :)

8. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    For some stupid reason, golf is a 'corporate game'. It's a good thing if you play fairly well and receive invites to country clubs. There you CAN network a bit higher up in your own food chain if you choose. A round of golf does help to build relationships with people that you work with and a bit more respect can be garnered by the people that invite you.

I play (and entertain) ONLY with people I like. I know a lot of real jerks that have decent memberships (and invite me out). I do not play golf with them. I hang with people I like. If they want to play golf with me, all the better. If I make a few contacts along the way, thats just a benny.

9. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Funny I'm not interested in golf as I love going to mini-putt on a date night and have enjoyed buying a bucket at the driving range - but the whole 3-5 hour commitment is what turns me off. Same reason I don't like outdoor cricket, baseball, chess, or games like Risk and even Monopoly... all the waiting around. I have patience in many areas, but when I'm down for entertainment/sport I need more stimulus.

Maybe with a good set of friends to go with it would be more bearable.

10. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I've been known to race plenty of golf carts. fwiw-

Both trackdays, karting etc... and golf are individual sports for me, and 'networking' is the last thing on my mind when doing either one. Would I give up one for the other? No way, I get just as much enjoyment out of each, and will only join in with others that view them as such.

Craig

11. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Up for a game of Project Gotham 2?

12. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I would, but no broadband = no Xbox live :-(. I'm a dial-up using peasant right now.

13. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    Definately invest $500 and take a series of lessons you dont have to be good, just to the point where you dont embarass yourself

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  15. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    HAHAHA!

I think golf became main stream in business world entertainment, because you do get to know that person after 18 holes. It is emotional game! Do you go for accuracy or distance? How do you strategically attack a hole? Do you have tendency to short-putt all the time? What is your learning ability from the prior experience? etc.

Motorsports, as PSK mentioned, you are on your own. You don't have to think of other 3 players for each play, interrupted your play by looking for others' ball!

I used to say golf was old people's sports, but young people can learn a lot (just like any sports)

I am totally for most sports as it reveals part of yourself & help building your character.

It's so true what Bad Chariot posted. I know a guy who lost a job after becoming a single HC player. He was putting too much time practicing everyday! His right hand was totally different color from his left hand!

Golf also is political game, too. I used to see many politicians on clubhouse.

16. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    RACING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because basketball, soccer, football and baseball

ONLY REQUIRE ONE BALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saw this on the back of a real fast rally car !!!!

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

17. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Well, yesterday I went to the driving range for the first time in 4 years... surprisingly I had such a fun time (despite a killer hook) that afterwards I went to the local golf store and bought a glove and a new [cheap] driver. If I can get good enough at basic hitting (and then putting) I'll start plunking down $ to actually play.

18. udalmia

udalmia Guest

If you ever need lessons, contact Senator Hubert Tsai

19. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I'd rather you hit me with a hammer than make me play golf.

20. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I'd say no... and here's why:

My dad has been playing golf all of his life. He's a year or so from retirement at the moment and still plays one helluva game, even with a peg-leg. With his experience in playing with other people that he will potentially do business with/hire on to his staff, he finds that golf is a game away from the office that tells a lot about someone's behaviour in the office. He says that some people are consistent, some people are horrible, and some people just go out there and hit the ball constantly making the best out of what they can. But it has nothing to do with how good the person is, it is how they react to each move. Someone that has a bad day at golf and has a crappy attitude about it, that's not someone you want to work with, is it? Someone that is a good sport at it, even on a bad day, that person would have more potential.

Now I play on occassion, but haven't in a few years. I'm not that great, but love going out without keeping score to have a great time on the course. Far different than racing and I do agree - on a racecourse, or in the paddock, there's not too many opportunities to discuss business unless it was a focus group at the Motorsport Ranch. Even then... least likely business > fun.

21. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Great thread.

As someone who does both, IMO motorsport does not make a great place for networking. It does, however, make a great place for entertaining. I've 'entertained' a ton of clients at the track. Lately, my 'reputation' has been preceeding me and makes a great way to break the ice at a boardroom table. Almost everybody's got a story to tell about their car or their husband/son/cousin/friend would love to get out to the track.

So, yes, an interest and involvement in motorsport is definitely a good thing in business.

Still, you had better take up golf. There are more people interested in playing a round of golf with you than there are people interested in going for a drive in an interesting car with you.

Cheers.

22. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    I'm not sure if I agree with that analogy 100%... When I was a worse golfer, I did not know how to correct my game and got frustrated and aggravated... Now that I've played a lot more, and have experience, I figure out what I'm doing wrong, or fix little things that go a long way and even a bad day isn't so horrible... I also utilize my time more efficiently when I practice,,, I do not waste my time on practice ranges with mats anymore, and always follow a routine I impliment on the course, instead of just smacking balls around at a range..

23. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  24. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Well, I couldn't wait to break in the new driver I got this morning, so I stopped by the local range... here's my club after 1 bucket!

I had a few good hits, but I was obviously swinging a little too high on several and dented the bottom (also a tear in the metal in the bottom left). Learning pains! I was just thankful I didn't splurge and pay more for a club.

BTW, what's considered a 'good' driving distance? I've heard pros hit something like 300+, but what are the amateurs hitting??

25. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams