Can getting a Ferrari too young mess you up? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Can getting a Ferrari too young mess you up?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ryalex, Apr 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Speaking of Microsoft Execs and Yachts, doesn't Paul Allen have the world's largest or the world's second largest yacht? On board helicopter or some such?

I got curious and went and searched it, his yacht, "Méduse" is #56 at 196'10". #1 is the "Savarona" at 408'0".

2. Please post more picture that looks amazing.

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Check out YACHTS under Off Topic for more amazing pics. Ive heard that Paul Allen is the 1st person to own 3 yachts over 300ft , at the same time :)
    He has 1 yacht that is 400ft w a 100ft submarine on board LOL

Sort of puts Ferraris in a new perspective. I bet those Yacht guys have some SERIOUS maintenance costs that make an F50 engine rebuild look tame LOL

4. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino

Darth550 has seen that yacht in person down in Brasil. He posted pics of it here:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10054&page=3

5. jbtrader23

jbtrader23 Karting

Apr 20, 2004
    Los Angeles, Ca
    I'm 25 (with a birthday coming up in a few weeks) and I'm seriously considering buying a Ferrari this year. Perhaps a 456 or 360. I've worked my tail off for the past 4-5 years, and I certainly feel that I've earned it. I was obsessed about the stock market and business in general. And after climbing past many hurdles, now I get a chance to relax some and enjoy what I've worked for.

As long as there is balance in someones life (work, relationships, contribution, hobbies, etc) then buying an exotic car shouldn't be detrimental to their well being. It's just an expensive toy. Just keep your focus on what's most important in life.

6. Devia

Devia Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Orange, CA
    Full Name:
    Julie Sczesny
    Hmm...well, I was given my first Matchbox car of a Ferrari at the tender age of 11...I proceeded to beat all my brother's Hotwheel cars on the tracks, with the speedometer they'd fly through.

I've been hooked ever since, lol!

Only person in my immediate family that has ever owned and driven Exotics...I think the guys in the family fear me, lol.

- Julie

7. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    If you can afford to park (pun intended) the cash in a car...then why not.

If someone gives you a Ferrari at a young age, good for you. I wouldn't turn it down.

When i bought my first one I deliberated for a while, in the end I made the right decision. And, no matter what happens, I'll have enjoyed it.

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Thank you everyone for the wonderful, positive responses on this thread. Just to give feedback - and prove that I've been able to take something from this, here's some selected quotes that really hit home:

9. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    This reminds me of a graduation speech I read given by Al Franken (even though I'm a confessed conservative, he's still hilarious), where he said:

Take, for example, bestselling author Anna Quindlen, who at a commencement address a while back said this: "If you win the rat race, you're still a rat." It's cute, cute, but if you think about it, it's really nothing more than an all-purpose excuse not to succeed. My version of that quote goes, "If you win the rat race, you will never have trouble feeding your family."

For some reason, commencement speakers, almost all of whom have been selected because of their notable achievements, love to warn about the fraudulence of success. This spring countless graduates of other universities have been told "It's lonely at the top." It's not. Believe me. It's much, much lonelier at the bottom.

Here's another soothing but useless bromide. "Every time one door closes, another door opens." That's not true. And very often when one door closes, another does open: A trap-door leading directly to that lonely place at the bottom.

And no doubt on some campus somewhere proud parents who never made more than twelve thousand dollars a year had to listen to Donald Trump tell them that failure is a better teacher than success.

Here's a line from late Massachusetts Senator Paul Tsongas that is often quoted at commencements. "No man on his deathbed ever said, 'I wish I had spent more time at the office.'" How does he know that? I'll bet someone on their deathbed said, "I wish I had spent more time at the office in my twenties and thirties, I would have had a much better life." gurgle--dead. I'm sure that happens. And it's quite possible that some former Enron or Arthur Anderson executive will use his last breath to say, "I wish I had spent more time at the office and less time in prison."

10. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    In another place and long time a ago, I used to give a lot of seminars for CPAs (75+ days a year). Well, at one, the sponsoring group had one of those "hippy dippy" motivational speakers give a lunch talk. Her whole thing was that CPAs needed to break out of their rut, smell the flowers, and all that rot. She had everybody take off one shoe, stand on chairs, rub each other's back, sing songs. I'm sure you get the picture.

Sadly, it wasn't going over very well, and the speaker was getting more and more frustrated. She ended up berating everybody because we just didn't get it. She started saying that we were all a bunch of anal Type A workaholics who were all going to die of a heart attack at a desk someday.

Finally, one old grey hair piped up and said, "Madam, do you supposed that it is possible that we enjoy what we do, which explains why we spend so much time at work?" The speaker was stunned. She couldn't believe it. How could anybody enjoy tax work? Impossible.....

12. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    1. Nothing is TOO wonderful, once you are used to it. Newness wears off no matter what and your eye will be cast elsewhere. This applies to "stuff" and can apply to people we marry or date. I have been fortunate enough to find my life mate in my wife...but feel lucky to have done so.

2. It's nice to go the the picnic...but don't miss the ride along the way. My BMW 2002 I had back in the day was a joy. As were the other cars I had.

3. A nice car may allow you more opportunities to meet potential mates. People like financial security. What motivates them in the final analysis you have to figure out. But like #1 above...nothing is too wonderful once you are used to it. The newness will wear off, then you know what the relationship is made of.

4. Watch what you pray for. Having "stuff" can rule you life. You have to care for the stuff. The best moments of my weekend were not in my F-car. It was reading the paper at Starbucks with my dog.

13. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    This is hilarious. Sometimes people think busting your ass at your job and being happy with your job, are mutually exclusive.

Anyway, my other pet peeve is when people ask/demand that I relax. I AM RELAXED DAMMIT...

14. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Oh, to the original poster: If after assessing your current and expected future financial responsibilites, you decide you can truly afford the financial consequences of owning a ferrari, get one. Life is too short.

15. smsmd

smsmd Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Steven Scates MD
    As a CPA, you get to meet a lot of people and see a lot of things. One thing that I have seen over the years is that many professionals never learn that, with a very few minor exceptions, you cannot earn your way to financial freedom if you don't control your personal overhead.

I know lawyers who are making 7 figure income who have a lower net worth than my 80-year old mother.
    Dr "I ain't got no stinkin overhead" Tax[/QUOTE]

It's interesting that when you go to the dealer, they are only interested in whether you will pay cash or what your income is, but as you allude to, net worth is much more important. Obviously, they correlate, but one can easily imagine scenarios that do not match well, ie, new job just out of school or lots of inherited assets and no job.

From the standpoint of financial planning, what is the highest percentage of net worth would you be comfortable tying up in an f-car? Qualitatively, I would want to be sure that I could lose the money and not have to re-do all the retirement/education plans, etc. It would need to be money I could technically do without if I had to, maybe 10% of net worth or something.

On the other hand, I did really want one for a long time...and you have to live along the way.

steve

Steve

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    If you buy well, your most expensive high-dollar car will be the first one you buy. After that, you can use your equity to leverage up.

As to how much? Personally, I believe in paying cash for toys, but others can and do disagree. Imagine that.

My advice is to come up with a toy budget and then buy the most fun car that you can find. For example, if your budget is $15k, you could find a 308GT4 or a nice 911sc. For $25k, you could buy a 308 or a Mini Cooper S. If you have the time to fiddle diddle with the car, go for the 308. If you don't have the time, buy the Mini. Go to the $35k mark and the Honda S2000 looks pretty good to me (Damn, I wish that I fit in one) or maybe a 328.

I have always looked at money as energy. The more money you have, the more different types of things that you can do. However, just because you don't have any money, doesn't mean that you can't have any fun. Like the song sez, "There's a whole lotta things that I have never done. But, I ain't never had too much fun." In fact, some of the most fun that I have ever had in life where those days when I didn't have a window nor a pot.

Good luck, DrTax

17. smsmd

smsmd Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Steven Scates MD
    Sounds like good advice. Over the weekend, I was at a FCA drive in Northern California and this issue came up from my passenger. He fears he is taking on debt/costs that are not truly needed, but he wants a car very much. I will share the opinion with him-seems a perfectly reasonable approach.

Thank you Dr Tax,

steve

18. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I got my first Ferrari when I was 19 (high school present from my parents), got married at 22 and bought my first house then divorced 6 months after, I kept the house and didn't loose a penny. Got marraied to another girl when I was 26 and she was 19 then 4 years after got divorced and didn't loose a penny again. Then at 28 bought my Testarossa with 8,000+miles and later another fiance, I'm still married (a year and 4 months now, but sold my TR last month and I am kicking myself every single second for it)) and at 33 she is 19, I drive now a 996 Twin Turbo but I am looking for another Ferrari to buy pretty soon because Ferraris were always there no matter what, it got me up when I was down and once you owned one theres is no turning back they are very addictive. I think it will not hurt you but help you a lot between marriages and a lot of other crap too, enjoy!

19. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    ???????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass

I think your car habit is the least of your problems.

22. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    lol

23. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    +
    =
    ???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

24. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    I acquired my first Ferrari--a Lusso--at the age of 17. I consider that, rather than messing me up, it set me up. I've had nothing but appreciation for fine automobiles ever since.

25. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I'm really interested to hear more about your history. I recall that you have met Enzo himself! And you also say that you owned 250 GTO #3987. I am extremely interested in your history with the marque!

Edit: this is your experience with Enzo: "Although I've visited the factory on a number of occasions, my most memorable encounter with Enzo Ferrari was at the practice for the 1970 Italian Grand Prix at Monza. While we stood in the paddock speaking about the 250GTO, Fangio joined us and listened with interest. For me, it was very interesting to meet with the man away from his manor, though well within his domain. Later that same day, Jochen Rindt tragically lost his life. Clay Regazzoni won the event that year."

I am very interested in your stories! When did you own the GTO?