Can getting a Ferrari too young mess you up? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Can getting a Ferrari too young mess you up?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ryalex, Apr 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    To original poster, my summary would be:- keep your feet on the ground and everything will be OK! Buy a Ferrari, Its only a car for pure driving fun, don't make it anything more than that, cause it shouldn't be.

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

You forgot to mention that she's also your cousin.

3. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    My love affair with cars and Italian cars in particular began when I saw a photograph of an ATS on the cover of a Road & Track magazine. Inside, there was a color spread of Carlyle Blackwell's red D-type Jaguar. Those two photograhs changed the course of my life. I owned 3987 from 1967-1970. I had seen it on the streets of Brentwood being driven by a previous owner and fell in love with the car. One day, it appeared in Sal di Natale's workshop for an engine rebuild and I bought it from its owner, who was a musical arranger for Sonny & Cher, as I recall. It was red and had orange 'Le Mans' lights on the roof. It also had a third gill cut into its flanks for better cooling.

That day in Monza, I had dropped by the pits to say hello to Franco Lini, Ferrari's F1 team manager, whom I had met previously in Los Angeles at a Ferrari Owners Club function. Although Ferrari did not attend races during those times, it was his habit to appear during practice for the Italian Grand Prix at Monza. I had already left the area of the Ferrari pits and was standing in the middle of the general paddock area behind the pits when I felt someone's attention on me. I looked to see a tallish man in a suit seeming to stare at me as though wanting to speak. Then I realized it was Ferrari--I hadn't expected to see him away from the pits--and , so, we talked. The topic was the my GTO and it put a smile on his face.

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    It's unfortunate you couldn't hold on to it longer ;-).

From Mike Sheehan's site:

Oh, you sold it to Alain de Candenet? I just bought his Victory By Design video where he talked about them...
    http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/Detail/3987GT.250GTO.htm

5. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    Yes, I sold it to Alain, who in turn sold it to Stuart Baumgard about a year later. Being a former GTO owner is like having been married to Marilyn Monroe--fabulous memories tempered by the pain of separation:)

6. Maverix

Maverix Karting

Apr 26, 2004
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    David Crompton
    I am 27, 28 in June. When I started full time work Jan 18th 1999, my one single ambition of my working life was to own my Ferrari by the time I was 28, essentially 5yrs after starting work. My deposit is down on my 208GTS Turbo, Im just waiting for a decent weekend to wander across to Italy and pick her up before June.

Owning an F-car has been the one conscious desire/need I have ever felt in my life, my one obsession.

Life is about many different things to many different ppl. To me it is about achieving your dreams....no matter what they are. Sooner or later life tries to force everyone of us away from our dreams, to compromise, to accept, to settle for less. My life is about fighting that, not compromising, doing things my way (granted usually the hard way) and beating Life.

Will having the F-car at 27/8 screw me over? No, it isnt a spoilt rich brat's silver spooned toy, it is blood sweat, tears and damned hard work to earn it.

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander

Ironically, as it becomes more imminent, I now fear that I'll get one, and it will only be so-so, and I will be disappointed that I built myself up to get one for so long. I hope not.

I recently drove a DB7 Volante (V12) for an evening: the first 2 hours were great, I couldn't get the grin off my face. By the end of the night, I was over it... I know a plush English GT cruiser is a different ride from a Ferrari, but I just don't want to have been psyched up for 7 years to get a Ferrari to have the dream die so quickly.