Can I ceramic coat my exhaust pipes and muffler at home? | FerrariChat

Can I ceramic coat my exhaust pipes and muffler at home?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by KENCO, Mar 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Or do I have to send the parts out? Is it like chroming, were you need specialized equipment?

2. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    Well, it doesn't exactly come in a spray can.
    You could do it at home, but it would be quite an impressive garage setup.

3. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Care to elaborate?

I was thinking of welding up an exhaust system and coating it. Or is there any aluminized spray that works?

4. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    It's not ceramic powder coating, but Eastwood does sell a couple of 1300F rated ceramic header coatings for home application IF you've got an oven that can hold the header & heat it to 500F(My converted home powdercoating oven won't take a 308 header.):

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=18808&itemType=PRODUCT

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=18809&itemType=PRODUCT

Eastwood also has 1300F rated high silicone hi-temp powder coattings, again, need 500F to cure:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=850&itemType=CATEGORY&iMainCat=844&iSubCat=850

I don't think I'd use them on a classic/vintage car's header that I really wanted to last. I doubt that it's anywhere as heavy a ceramic coating as Jet Hot can apply, & probably would be very hard to ensure you've got full coverage inside the header which Jet Hot claims to do. Also, Jet Hot & others have optional high temp versions of their coatings rated to around 2,000F.

I'believe that one of the major powder coating vendors has a similar ceramic powder product, but again, the large oven is critical.

6. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    This is good. Have you ever tried these?

7. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    On my old Testarossa, the exhaust pipes and muffler are stainless steel. So I simply cleaned them up with scotch-brite pads, wiped them down with solvent, and sprayed them with high temp ceramic containing paint like the Eastwood stuff that KENCO mentioned. It looked nice and lasted for 3 years until I sold the car....from the pics I've seen of the car since, the pipes and muffler still look quite good.

8. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Not quite! Its called Boron nitride spray and it is made by GE Advanced Ceramics. This is a high purity coating and it comes in a spray can and I sprayed the stainless steel headers on my Boxster S 20,000 miles ago and its still there. You can even use it on piston tops. Not cheap though, about forty bucks a can and is probably the best thing you can put on before wrapping headers.

9. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    going on 4 years now i did my headers and i use a ceramic coating call cermakrome the headers will need to be sandblast and spray at a room with low moisture and put in oven right a way or it will take on moisture and the out come will be not be good.
    i made a extention on my oven and bake it at 500 F for 1 hour. after parts cool buf/polich with coarce steel wool and then fine steel wool for higher luster. this product is great the bad think is that is not available at autoparts stores i got my from summit.

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The most important part of ceramic coating is the inside of the header tubes...how can you do that at home...

11. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    I think I will use the standard high temp spray coating in a can, available at any auto parts store.

I am making a prototype exhaust for my Diablo out of steel, if it comes out decent I will move on to stainless. I am just tired of the high prices for exhaust systems. So I said to myself "I could probably build one of those for about 3 grand less" so I am.

I paid $4,500 on my exhaust for my TR. The Diablo is easy to get at the exhaust so it makes the perfect candidate.

12. bendix

bendix Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    you could do a home spray job but I eventually decided in the end to let a professional company do it. www.zircotec.com This was much easier plus they can sort out any problems that could arise

13. Paul V

Paul V Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    Shropshire (UK)
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This is where i had my 348 manifolds but the cost is high £730 for the pair to be done ! they should be back next week so will see if its money well spent

14. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If you are serious about reducing under-hood temperatures, the best coating for headers/exhaust manifolds is the Swaintech coating. It is not very attractive, but is highly resilient and can be painted with any high temperature paint.

LINK: http://www.swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=10323

15. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Regardless what JetHot or anyone else claims I am very sceptical of any claims about inside coatings. Properly preparing the surface inside a narrow tube around several bends and blind intersections, seems virtually impossible (and of course virtually impossible for you to prove otherwise). Sandblasting the outside is a fussy time-consuming chore even when you have full access to all sides. Coating the inside isn't a problem but it will probably be on top of the rust and dirt.

Of course I'm willing to be convinced otherwise but I'd have to see it with my own eyes.

16. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Once you get it done in steel, just coat it and call it good. I've never had much success with the aerosol VHT paints on headers but i did an exhaust manifold on my MGB with the POR15 high temperature paint last year and it's still a shiny silver after one season of use.

17. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    That's because the Lucas electrics won't let it run.....

18. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #18 2NA, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    At $40/ per spray can for the home application plus the hassle of a DIY oven, why not send them out to be professionally done? Mine only cost $200 for both headers, I chose the satin gray-ice color and they came out beautifully.
    http://www.performancecoatings.com/

20. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    #20 fastradio, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not very attractive? How so?
    Swain Technologies did my Boxer headers seven years ago...They look great and have held up perfectly!

David
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    So which color is technically best under the hood? Regarding heat radiation, black radiates the most heat, silver or chrome color retains the most heat, white is a mix between the two, and grey would fall between white and black ; better than white, but not as good as black.

Aircraft and motorcycles seem to be consistent in using flat black or grey for engines and flat black exhaust, in fact I cannot recall seeing any other color used on aircraft exhaust but flat black. Wrapping headers with asbestos tape or other materials does lower engine compartment temps, but totally cooks the headers and mufflers and shortens their life in the process.

My uncle put a set of wrapped headers on his 454 motorhome and they didnt last 12 months. A replacement set of the same headers but left with OEM black paint lasted over 6 years. I would be interested in any reports how white paint performs.

22. hacker-pschorr

hacker-pschorr Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Land of Lambeau
    SwanTech does not "paint" the headers white:

http://www.swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=10969

From the link:

23. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Seven years, but how many miles is that David?

Thanks,
    Dave

24. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    About 9,000 KM....

25. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ