Can I sit in your car? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Can I sit in your car?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Viperjoe, May 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Great story! Which Ferrari is in your sights?

And as usual, my wife is right again. :)

2. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'll chime in....If someone asks to sit in my car I let them, always.....for many it's a once in a lifetime experience and if monitored nothing can really happen (hopefully)....I remember when I took my dog to the vet in my 458 and a little boy who was there was looking at my car....As I was coming out he was very excited to see it and even more excited when I asked him if he wanted to sit in it....his smile was priceless.....

Also to the post above....I would have told you "if you work hard this won't be the last time you sit in one".....

3. Ermdtx

Ermdtx Rookie
    Miami 2018

Sep 22, 2015
    The joy and excitement brought to those less fortunate than us is rewarding. I give instructions on “the proper way” to seat yourself (read “my way) , I also ensure the pockets are empty and no rivets/adornment on the pants. I remember being in awe of such beautiful cars when I was a youngin’.

willrace and Dave rocks like this.
  4. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    That is a great line. The truth!

Sent from my SM-G930V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Irrespective of the owners inheritance he wasn't wrong. There are many owners on this forum who got their first Ferrari in the same manner as you are. Considering the number of people driving around in other sports cars and even pick-ups that cost must more than a used Ferrari, getting one is as much a matter of wanting one as is it saving for one.

legendd likes this.
  6. forshage

forshage Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 3, 2014
    Altadena, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl Forshage
    I tend to let kids sit in it, sometimes others. Everyone who gets out will sometime own one - raising the value of my car. Besides, it letsthem dream.

7. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

LOL!!!!!!!!:D

8. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

His username checks out too..... Amoroso = Lover

Obviously you have a love for driving..... and I love your attitude towards giving others an experience they would otherwise not be able to have. I too have spent a lot of time at the track on 2 wheels. Unfortunately with motorcycles, you can’t just throw a helmet on their head and tell them to hang on. Wish I could take my own family members for a fast lap at the track.... but I cannot..... not on 2wheels.

9. fuelie95

fuelie95 Rookie

Nov 14, 2008
    I have car seat covers and a steering wheel cover for my car. I'll let kids and some interested adults sit in my car but I make sure they have nothing in their back pockets and clean shoes. I want to give others a positive experience of sitting in their dream car.

I have told others that they can't sit in the car, mainly because I was leaving the area. During shows I leave my car closed and locked as I enjoy walking around, admiring other cars and talking with their owners. I never hang out by my own car.

10. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    I run into it all the time with customer cars on test drives and my own personal cars. If its not my car I tell them and just say sorry the owner would freak out, if its mine I try to be as nice as possible and let them take photos with the car or sit in it. When I moved into my neighborhood all the kids were asking if a Ferrari was a Lamborghini etc. Now they yell out the correct model numbers when they ride bikes past my house, little tifosi in training.

tomc, audi_328, Boomhauer and 3 others like this.
  11. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    It would only be appropriate to go with another midengine V8, I think a 458 spyder blue over tan is the way to go. I might consider a 488 spyder too but the turbo turns me off a little. My dad technically is already wrong as I've done a couple drives with those outfits that let you drive a ferrari on a track a couple times for a couple hundred bucks (Ive tried a 458 and 430). The 458 just seems right. I never wanted the fastest car on the road, just something that would give me that experience and nothing is quite like a ferrari. I can tell when there is one driving in my neighborhood just from the sound alone without seeing it. Thats something. I more recently worry about what the electric car movement is going to do to that. I think that change is right to happen for multiple reasons, and ferrari is planning on an all electric model. However, it will be a bitter sweet moment when future ferraris break records on fiorano without making a sound. I really want my first ferrari to be a gas engine with that sound, just so that I get that experience.

I have a counter on my phone that's reading 1071 days ,11 hours... and so on... as a tentative date after ive covered some student loans, have the house, and save a bit on the side before getting my car. For those of you that have a similar story, you'all can be inspiration for alot of young folks out there. If my dad saw someone in one of these cars his default thought was that they either inherited money, did something illegal, or were just plain lucky. That life was something I couldnt expect to have. Although the guy that gave me a ride was quite privileged and wasnt someone that I could relate to, that experience gave me something to work for. While im not sure if I would hand the keys to my car to a 17 year old guy like he did, Id like to be able to at least give them the same inspiration. I think if kids see that your lifestyle is attainable and hear how you did it, it can make a difference for someone early in their life that's grown up with a more limited perspective.

Your story just hit home for me. So thanks for sharing a little bit of your car :)

Nospinzone and ///Mike like this.
  12. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I’m very reluctant to let people sit in my cars due to interior wear. Unfortunately most people don’t know how to get into seats that have even a slightly aggressive bolster.

Below pic is a great example. This is a BRAND NEW 2018 AMG C63S I found at a Mercedes dealership. The bolsters already look demolished, yet the car has 50 miles on the odometer. Seat damage is a real thing!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    HA! I bought that prancing moose t-shirt when we were in Quebec last summer.

14. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I can afford a Ferrari, I can also afford to get the leather redone when needed. It’s just not an excuse. Let the kids enjoy the experience. The couple grand you spend to redo the leather will very likely be worth it.

Tricycle, Way2fast and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  15. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    That's your decision....... for your car(s).

Clay512TR, ///Mike and Viperjoe like this.
  16. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Ya it’s a little funny blaming seat wear on a dozen or so sittings by some kids that barely weigh 70lbs vs the frequent ingress/egress by a 200lb man...I don’t care how dainty he sits that fat ass down.

I can tell a respectful kid vs a rambunctious brat...one I’d let in, the other, I don’t have time for, or their inept parents that didn’t teach them how to behave.

17. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Nothing more fun then taking someone the fastest they have ever gone in an automobile. They will remember it for the rest of their life

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

18. Yellow Compass

Yellow Compass F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 23, 2015
    NYC Area
    Full Name:
    Yellow Compass Supercars
    Right on my brother Dom!!!!
    It's Only a piece of metal HELLOOO:)

19. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    I have never refused anyone who asked nicely to have a seat in my car. It is after all just a car.

Dave rocks likes this.
  20. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i guess it depends, but i have rarely refused anybody's request to sit in any of the cars. the exception being very large guys who want to get into the bbi or the f40 - they simply wont fit and shoehorning them in isnt a good idea for anybody.

when i was a kid, i was constantly around cool cars, and i was in an out of them all the time, and it gave me the bug.
    now, i almost always engage the kid who comes up to see the car, telling them about it etc, and then let them sit in it (checking for the usual stuff of course).
    we owe it to the next generation to get them excited about cars.

the previous owner of my f40 used it for children's charity rides on a regular basis which is why it has a fire suppression system in the passenger and engine compartments - would never pass classiche, but i am keeping it !

what i do not like, and wont tolerate, is people sitting on, leaning on, dropping their purses/keys/drinks on the car. i have had my cars in plenty of car shows and that drives me crazy. the bbi gets a dent if you just look at it wrong, so leaning etc is just not on.

21. Chadwick Ferrari

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chadwick
    I always say yes, especially to kids. Everyone so far has been respectful, and I just don’t worry about it.

The way I see it, I am just the custodian of the car and I think part of the value of ownership is to let other car enthusiasts enjoy it as well. Within reason, of course.

Bluebottle, Boomhauer and Dave rocks like this.
  22. F430abdo

F430abdo Karting

Mar 8, 2017
    SE Florida
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I look at it like this, I was once that dreaming kid and I remember the first time I put eyes on a Ferrari in person. I remember thinking “one day”. So if someone wants to sit in my seat and feel that for a moment, why deny them that. Besides I have the best leather Dyer and repair guy in the business, dude has redid 1-3 million dollar car’s interiors. Anyways, it’s just material, and a good deposit in the karma bank letting someone “respectfully” sit in the 488;-)

legendd, Dom and tomc like this.
  23. Yellow Compass

Yellow Compass F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 23, 2015
    NYC Area
    Full Name:
    Yellow Compass Supercars
    RIGHT ON!!!!!!

24. F430abdo

F430abdo Karting

Mar 8, 2017
    SE Florida
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    You are right it took me a few cars and realization of how the wear is rested and now I’m a pro I’m 225 but I can get into my F car without touching my bolster. Lol

25. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    I just had a request to sit in my 458 recently. The guy was a car nut. He had sat in Fezzas before. I thought about this forum and took my time considering his request (I like letting people sit in my cars).
    I did most things suggested here but forgot to see if he was wearing rings on his fingers.
    Funnily enough, I wasnt sure about him touching various buttons. Touching the steering wheel is almost obligatory IMO so no big deal.
    I took a photo of him in the car and he was stoked.
    I did show him how to get in/out without wearing the bolster.
    All in all, I'll do it again for respectful, nice people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk