Can I sit in your car? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Can I sit in your car?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Viperjoe, May 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I had paint correction on my 360 recently. As a bonus I took him out in the car and let him drive. Much younger than me and he probably drove it better.
    :D I do enjoy seeing people enjoying my car. Helps me justify my good fortune in life.

tomc likes this.
  2. Geflackt

Geflackt Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2015
    Eastern PA.
    A few years at a local car show, I had parked my pre-war race car behind a fairly new Aston V8V. The owner of the Aston was guarding the car like a hawk and even though he had the doors open, he'd still chase people away if they stuck their head in - why bring it to a show!? He was also really hung up on values and coaxed a number out of me on my car(significantly more than his Aston - he was not amused). As I decided I had enough of talking to him, a family with 2 kids were checking out my car. I said to the Aston owner "watch this..." and went over to ask if the kids wanted to sit in my car. My car doesn't have doors, so the parents had to lift the kids over, have them stand on the patina leather seats, and slide into the driver and passenger sections. The look on the Aston owner's face and the smiles on the parents/kids have stuck with me permanently. One of my best car show experiences.

During our vintage races, we sometimes have "charity drives" where spectators contribute to the charity, then we take them for a drive up the hillclimb or around the track. My car is very tight, so we have to hand-pick who can fit in. At the Pittsburgh Grand Prix, they tried to stick a very large lady with me - she got half-way in and they thankfully pulled her out, but that was after she hit all the switches on the dash, stalling the car and almost setting off the fire extinguisher! I usually ask - "do you want a leisurely drive or do you want to scream?" Most of the time the answer is a scream!

Beyond the "can I sit in your car" is when you let someone else drive with funny outcomes. For the charity drive at the Hershey Hillclimb a few years ago, a "celebrity" didn't have a car ready as he was still restoring it. Figuring he was a better draw for the charity, I let him have my car to take people up the hill. He had a nice line of people and spent 45 minutes taking people up the hill. The news picked it up with him driving, and captioned it as "___ in his race car and a guest rider". Well, I started getting calls that week from surprised friends thinking I sold my car!

The best way at shows to handle people wanting to sit in the car is to treat it as an experience for them. Give them simple instructions, check their pockets, and explain why you go through the procedure - it's not a typical car. Don't treat them like idiots(unless they really are, then just keep the car locked if you can). Occasionally after explaining the procedure, they've thought enough about it that they make the call not to sit but to just look. They appreciate the opportunity either way!

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #153 wax, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Would you recognize him if you saw him again?

Hot weather means people leave windows rolled down. A little Steer [as does Orangutan] Manure goes a long way, as does an opened, accidentally dropped can of tuna. It would be a darn shame if either were put into his car by some unseen ne'er-do-well.

Or, he could have a case of "mistaken identity."

What if he's armed and dangerous?

Just terrible!

"I am weak-ish on snatch" ~ joker57676

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I agree: when we were down at the Finali in Daytona there was this family Mom, dad and toddler and 4-5 year old. the mother picks up the toddler and put him in the 94 412 F-1 car that was on display - dad was taking a photo... I was not sure if they owned the car or not so was not going to say anything, but watched... then the 4 yr old starts to bang on the side pods - really hard.. .the mother oblivious - dad not saying anything, so I said - wow, this your car? i'd never let the kids beat on it - she says - Oh no we're just taking a picture... I then said that I think you need to stop as I'll get security this is not the way you act at a car show - and especially one worth a couple Million .. just then the mechanics came over and started to chase them away. He had been over at another car they had on show... I caught it all on Face book live at the time... its disgusting how careless people are with others posessions.

5. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    2 different types of folks here. The ones that ask, I accommodate unless in a hurry. The other is the ones that just help themselves, which is why I lock the doors at events.
    As an aside, I was at event with the owner of this GTO, and he had a line, I mean a line, of folks ranging from kids to adults over the age of 60 and the door was open and he just let the herds have a seat, get a pic, and then NEXT!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    if it is a kid I will offer to let them sit in it .. never had a problem.. if it is a young adult I will let them if they seem like a car guy you know knowledgeable
    and respectful... I have given many people rides in one.. I can remember having my F12 at a car dealer and young kid maybe 12 with his mother were looking at the car she said how the boy was in love with cars and loved Ferraris she pulled over cause he saw it in the parking lot.. I asked the mother and gave the boy a ride around the parking lot for a few minutes let him sit in the drivers seat etc... I suspect he will remember that for a long time and I have done that MANY times... I feel fortunate to own these cars and don't mind sharing if a person seems interested ..

papou, JAM1, Rifledriver and 6 others like this.
  7. Dolcevita

Dolcevita Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Lots of kids in my car in the past week. Lately, always a dad who comes over for a look with the kids in tow. They ask if it is ok to take a picture and I ask them if they want to sit in it for the photo. Makes their day.

Today an old friend was with me as we headed back to the car at a strip mall parking lot. A dad was beside the car checking it out with his son. Of course i answered the usual questions before volunteering a photo in the car. It was quite the experience for my friend. He couldn't wait to tell his Corvette owning brother about it.

LARRYH and Dave rocks like this.
  8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I've never had anyone ask to sit in any of my cars. I usually offer to let kids check the car out and/or sit behind the wheel if they are clearly into cars or love Ferraris.

I did once come out of the gas station on a saturday night to find a pretty sexy young gal sitting in my 360. She had just let herself in and was having a fun time behind the wheel - I was pretty amused actually and said "you look good in there; maybe you should get one".

I've had a few people want to drive the 458, but I usually tell them they can only drive it naked. That tends to shut them down pretty fast...

Ray

TheDiffuser, stavura and Dave rocks like this.
  9. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I just got back from a trip to visit my parents in Vermont, and got the opportunity to drive their 355 Spider with my wife in the passenger seat for the first time.

We had some morning errands to run, including a trip to Wal*Mart for a package of boxers for me - I had packed everything but that. :rolleyes:

The bright red convertible Ferrari definitely attracted a TON of attention at the front of the store, including one young guy who chased us across the parking lot in his lifted white Ram to the middle-of-nowhere spot that I chose to park.

"HOLY S**T!!! IS THAT A FERRARI?!?!?" He couldn't keep his jaw closed - a Ferrari sighting in Vermont is a rare event, doubly so at Wally World. He was over the moon with excitement - as I would have been had I been in his shoes.

He snapped a bunch of pictures and I showed him the car for a couple of minutes. After poking his head in the interior, he sheepishly asked if he could sit in it, and after checking him out for loose keys and failing jeans rivets, I obliged.

The grin on his face, plus the photo I snapped of him in the driver's seat likely made his month, and cost me nothing. As I noted to my wife on the drive home - saying 'no' wasn't something I was going to do unless he was covered in dirt or a jerk about it.

*** Side note: A $16.88 20" box fan will NOT fit in the frunk of a 355 when the tool box is on board.:p

10. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hey, it would have fit in his Ram, and I'm sure he would have loved to follow you home!

11. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    When I’m near the car I leave it wide open and encourage kids to sit in it. I tell them the only things they can’t touch are the turn signals and wiper stalk. If I’m wandering around I lock it. So far so good.

12. gf1red

gf1red Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Staten Island N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    About 15 years ago there was a Ferrari car show in Central Park. Me and my 4 year old son were looking at an Enzo and the owner was sitting in it and notice my son and called him over an asked him if he liked Ferraris. Of course he said yes. The owner said "good answer hop in." He ask my son his name and said OK when I tell you press the red button. I couldn't believe it, he made my son start the car. My son still remembers that day. At that moment I said to myself if I ever get a Ferrari I would never refuse a kid if we wanted to sit in it. Well 12 years of ownership later a kid as never been refused.

13. eurocarguy101

eurocarguy101 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2015
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jefferson Wheeler
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I get quite a few questions about the car every time I take it out. I saw many responses in this thread about letting people sit in the car if they express an interest in it and I do the exact same thing. I even created an Instagram account about this exact thing because, for me, these cars are about the stories and bringing people together. For me, it’s not a “hey, look at me” Seeing people light up when they see the car and how it sparks something within them is something I love to see. I remember being the young kid going to shows ogling over these cars and I hope sharing it with others at shows helps spark something in our youth and others for many years.

Though, I am a little discerning about who I let sit in the car like do they have anything sharp in their pockets or on their clothes or are they clean.

My instagram is Strangers_In_My_Ferrari

IG: Strangers_In_My_Ferrari

Dolcevita likes this.
  14. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I've let kids sit in my Ferraris at car shows - they don't ask, I offer - but no adults.

15. Steen Jensen

Steen Jensen Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
    Here's my story. I can still hardly believe it myself.

As a Canadian I spend a fair bit of time in Socal to escape the brutal Calgary winters. I have a habit of going to Malibu County Mart on weekends to see what interesting cars are there. There is a hand car wash in the corner of the parking lot. Always a few nice cars there.
    On this particular Sunday a few years ago , there was a beautiful Argento 575 being dried off as the owner looked on from a picnic table. I struck up a conversation with him and complimented his taste as I have a Argento 575 manual. I mentioned that I had never driven the paddle shift version of the 575. He slid me the keys across the picnic table and said , "take her for a ride". I was flabbergasted. I said , "I just met you" and he replied , "you're Canadian , I trust you".
    I thanked him for his kind offer and declined telling him I just wouldn't feel right taking his car , especially when I had never driven one with flappy paddles.
    Questioned that decision ever since...

eurocarguy101 likes this.
  16. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    I try and make light of the situation, my answer to the question is, "I plan to ask my Ferrari to marry me"....I don't want anyone inside my wife......:rolleyes:

G. Pepper likes this.
  17. Dolcevita

Dolcevita Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Craig
    What a great idea. I started following you on Instagram.

eurocarguy101 likes this.
  18. Steen Jensen

Mar 29, 2009
    I shall add this to my post above.

I fly for a living and as a result one ends up cooped up with another pilot for hours on end. Conversations will cover many topics and invariably lead to cars on my cue. I've found that a surprising proportion of pilot's look at cars as appliances. Don't know cars and don't care. Couldn't do an oil change if their life depended on it. Generational thing I'm guessing. So...the subject changes...
    For those who are car guys and show real interest I have invited them over to drive the 575. I literally had to buy one before I had the chance to drive a 6 speed Ferrari V-12 so I take some satisfaction from giving those who are passionate the opportunity. When one thinks about it , it's not as special or exclusive as the "walking on the moon club" but how many people drive a V-12 Ferrari in their lifetime. The reactions are always quite positive and I'm pretty sure it's something they will never forget...

19. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    My dad was like that. A pilot in WW II, Korea, and Vietnam. Retired a LTC Command Pilot. Always had a VW Beetle. First a '58, and later a '69. Not impressed with cars at all. Most of his buds were the same.

20. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    good thread revival

I do let interested strangers sit in mine , though I do take a lot in consideration.
    A goofy teen or grown man won't pass but humble folks or excited kids I most definitely I allow .

Viperjoe and eurocarguy101 like this.
  21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    But ironically, my first job out of college was training astronauts and most loved cars.

Boomhauer and G. Pepper like this.
  22. Steen Jensen

Mar 29, 2009
    Shark01 and G. Pepper like this.
  23. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Same here. Costs me nothing to give a lifetime memory to a child and possibly change their life forever.

rampante550, Crom, papou and 2 others like this.
  24. thx enzo

thx enzo Karting

Aug 11, 2021
    Hartland, WI
    Full Name:
    Stevenp
    Best one I’ve had with my F12 was at a small car show. A father was telling his 13ish son, “this is why I tell you to do good in school, save your money and maybe someday you can get one of these.” Loved the message, as opposed to, some wealthy azz has this car, and told him so. Asked the son if he would like to sit in it, and of course he said yes. Then the dad looked at me and said, “can I sit in it too.”

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I was washing a car in the driveway, don’t remember which one, with the garage open so that the other three were in full view. Car pulled up in the neighbor’s driveway, friend coming over to visit. Dad and his teenage son got out. Dad pointed to my garage, turned to his son and said “See? That’s why you’re staying in school!”

alum04org and turbo-joe like this.