Can Koni shocks be rebuilt | FerrariChat

Can Koni shocks be rebuilt

Discussion in '308/328' started by 89 FERRI, Mar 9, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 89 FERRI

89 FERRI Guest

Jul 31, 2010
    Cold Spring Harbor ,
    Full Name:
    Elliot Siegel
    For my 1989 328GTS can my Koni shocks be rebuilt ? Any reccomendations and what is the approx. cost ? Thanks Elliot

2. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Call Koni and ask.

3. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Check the Koni website.

Run a search here. One of the guys here in the 3x8 section rebuilt his. They looked great.

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I advise against it. Replace them. Just my experience. I had a really unpleasant experience with having Konis rebuilt.

5. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #5 Crowndog, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
    Birdman, I called Koni last month and was given a quote for the rebuild and told that did not include parts or shipping. My question is that Koni now sells replacement shocks but say they are updated with dampers? Do you know what this means and your bad experience, was it because of "parts" added to the cost.

6. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I had a good experiencing rebuilding my Konis throug Carobu. They also made them height adjustable.

7. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    I had mine rebuilt with revised valving (approx 25% stiffer), I can't remember exactly who did the work but may have been QV in london. Also at the same time uprated springs and adjustable platforms.

I think the problem now is that it is actually as expensive to get the old one's rebuilt as buying new.

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I know you had a bad experience with Truechoice but I recently had Dino shocks re-built from Koni USA and the service was fantastic. Not only that they fully restore and re-paint the shocks back to 100% original and correct. In my case the Dino shocks were date stamped and I wanted to keep the car as original as possible. As for cost it was a little less than a new set of shocks. I would totally do it again and send anyone to Koni USA.

Here is a link to some photos: http://dino246blog.blogspot.com/search?q=koni

9. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Well, that's a good question. As I recall, the late 1988 and 1989 328s that had ABS have Bilstein shocks, not Konis. Both can be rebuilt successfully.

10. rkljr

rkljr Formula Junior

May 16, 2011
    South of Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Rebuild per shock is approximately $140 and parts are $20 to $50. The bottom line is about $200 per shock.

No experience good or bad to share yet.

11. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #11 Peter, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Ladybegood

Ladybegood Karting

Feb 17, 2012
    Derbyshire, GB
    Hi when you rebuilt your own , what parts did you have to replace? and how much were they, cheers

sturrisi likes this.
  13. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    IIRC, when I replaced mine, I checked into rebuilding and the cost of rebuilding was more than replacing them outright. It was $115 per shock new and $130 to rebuild. And the turn time wasn't quick either. I bought the new ones from TireRack and the bushings from PartsSource. If 100% originality is important then I guess rebuilding is attractive.

14. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Good work, Peter.

15. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Tire Rack now quotes $196.00 per shock w/o bushings:

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?autoMake=Ferrari&autoModel=308&autoYear=1985&autoModClar=

16. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    The shaft seals, the body top O-Ring and the bushings were the only items that needed to be replaced. The shaft seals were around $8 each (x3 req'd per shock), the O-Ring was around $2 and the bushings came with the suspension A-arm kit from Maseratisource (so separately?...).

Obviously, paint, oil, decals and other sundry items will be needed.

17. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    That's fine if they're still available. For 308 GT4's rear shocks can't be bought new because they're the dreaded NLA...

18. jrinehart

jrinehart Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2009
    Chambersburg, PA
    Full Name:
    John Rinehart
  19. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Where did you get your parts at?

20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    David,

I wish it was that simple...but it is not.
    I have been trying to figure that out for quite sometime, but the only positive answer I can provide is that SOME of the late '88 and '89 328, mainly GTB's it seems, do indeed have Bilsteins.
    Which cars, and why, still remains a mystery to me; there does not seem to be any logic (i.e, "all cars after C/N n° xxx" or "all cars for such or such markets").
    I have found Konis and Bilstein among the very last cars produced, at random it seems.
    I'm still flabbergasted on that topic; should somebody have knowledge of the logic, if any, I would be glad to know.

21. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
  22. hoverland

hoverland Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2010
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Harald Ø
    I may be the Italian logic;
    Whatever available and making sense to individuals involved -at that time :)

Just gotta love them :)
    Harald

23. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Yup, Truechoice=criminals. They soured me on having a shock "rebuilt." I would rebuild myself or buy new. Wouldn't trust those idiots to rebuild my kitchen sink. When I did my Mondial shocks after the experience with the 308 shocks/truechoice, I found brand new shocks not much more than re-building. Glad to hear that Koni USA could handle the job though.

24. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I did this about 18 months ago. My '89 had Konis and I could not find a replacement. I had them rebuilt and the result is great. Not certain, but I think it was $200 a corner. Also, got name from Koni.

25. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Funny, but true. There are no "absolutes" with Ferrari. Hmmm, what do we have remaining in inventory that we can use today? Please pass the vino!

john a barnes likes this.