Can of compressed air in the (front) trunk | FerrariChat

Can of compressed air in the (front) trunk

Discussion in '360/430' started by drcripp, Oct 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drcripp

drcripp Karting

Nov 1, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    David Crippen
    Yesterday, I was greeted by a rear tire about half inflated. Not knowing exactly how to proceed without a jack for my 360, I opened the trunk and found a box strapped to the firewall with a can of compressed air, and presumably some other liquid in it to seal a small leak. Instructions were to roll the car till the tire's air nozzle was at the top, then empty the contents of the can into the tire. I would then have enough pressure to drive somewhere to get it fixed (and the leak would seal).

I called my friend a mechanic and he told me NOT to use the air bottle, that the innards would damage the tire. To pump up the tire to 40 psi and I would probably have enough pressure to get from me to him. I did this and I did make it there where the tire was taken off to find a small nail in the peripheral tread. The tire was duly patched from the inside.

How many of you have had any experience with these pressure cans for flat tires? Mine appears to be original Ferrari equipment from 2001 so I'm wondering if it'w even functional. Should I get another one? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I had the unfortunate opportunity to try the can. It was the original can and plenty of foam came out, but unfortunately it did not seal the leak. The hole was too big.

3. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    Those cans of Flat Fix and the like are total crap! They might work in a few instances, but most of the time they won't. Also, the shop doing the repair will have to deal with the sealing slime that is all over the rim barrel. Extra $$$$ The original can may be so old, the sealant is shot.

I bought the OEM spare tire kit. Skinny wheel and tire, trunk mounting kit, jack/tools in a case with it's mounting bracket. I just have to remember to check the air pressure in the spare tire now and then.

The down side is if you have a passenger, they may have to stay at the road side while you take the flat tire/wheel to a shop for repair. There is no room for a full size tire in the car except in the passenger seat. I keep several large (55 gal) plastic bags to put the tire in to keep the inside of the car clean.

4. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I too have the can of Ferrari-fix a flat. Took it out and put a can of "new" slime for last resort type problem. Managed to impale a 5/16 or bigger bolt in the front tire which sounded like running over expansion joints in the highway....until the noise suddenly stopped. Going 60 or so, took an exit which put me at a gas station. Though about using the slime but the hole was too big. Luckily, the gas station had a plug kit which worked great or at least good enough to get me home.

My recommendation is get one of those small 12v compressors, replace the "Ferrari" fix-o-flat with a new version for that emergency that we all hope never comes. Secondly, get a plug kit and keep with the compressor for those times when you do find someone's missing bolt

Zcobra1 and dang2407 like this.
  5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    A good plug kit with fresh glue and use the brown leather plugs for permanent fix. Avoid new development/building sites and road shoulders.

6. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    and don't ride around after a hurricane has made landfall.....

7. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    We have two cars without a spare tire. I carry a 12v air compressor in each. Also carry a small repair kit consisting of several lengths of plugs, a reamer, a plug insertion tool and some cement.

http://www.blackjacktirerepair.com/kt-20sc

I have found that the plug makes a permanent repair, but if you are concerned, you could bring the tire into a shop to remove the plug and repair the tire from the inside. This combination has been a real life saver to me several times.

Steve

Zcobra1 likes this.
  8. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I want to add some info about using plugs to repair a tire. My wife’s car suffered another puncture, I plugged it and used the portable inflator to get home. This was the second plug in the tire so next day drove over to the tire retailer to inspect it. I got some education on tire repair. In our case, the tire needed to be replaced because of sidewall damage.

But some pointers on using a plug. Consider it temporary not permenant. An externally applied tire plug may not properly seal the puncture wound to prevent moisture from seepin into the belts of the tire. Over time, this could lead to corrosion of the steel belts. According to tire manufacturers, repairs should only be made after inspection of the wound from inside the tire. If deemed repairable, the wound is enlarged with a drill bit to make it smooth bore. The hole is then plugged with rubber that self vulcanizes to the tire and a patch is applied over the rubber plug from the inside. The use of string plug applied from the outside should be temporary only to get you home. Take the tire to a shop to have the tire inspected and repaired at your earliest opportunity.

Steve

9. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Wasn't aware of these kits and have invested in the compressor and plug kit above.

A lack of a spare does always have me slightly apprehensive when off the beaten track - so even if not a temporary fix it sounds a whole lot better than flagging down trucks......

10. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    All good advice. I suffered a flat 100 miles from home . It was a nightmare. A 12 hour affair to get home