Can someone explain this Maserati reference by Jay Leno to the Mistral | FerrariChat

Can someone explain this Maserati reference by Jay Leno to the Mistral

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by staatsof, Jul 27, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    He has a couple of vintage Maserati's so I don't think it's a case of tala ignorance but WTH? I advanced to the spot where he talks about the coach makers of the day. It's an otherwise OK one of his videos. I do like this car.

Time advance is get clipped off so go to the 25 minute mark.

Perhaps he's thinking of another model of Maserati?

2. FastFreddie

FastFreddie Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    The Mistral was designed by Pietro Frua as was the first Monteverdis.

3. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  4. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Leno while being a true “car guy” is often wrong about things he proclaims on his show. Very few will says he wrong, he’s Jay Leno

MK1044 likes this.
  5. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    He was probably referencing to the earlier body made by Frua which does have similarities to the Mistral. Fissore made bodies later and since Jay wanted a stick shift he may have gone from owning an earlier automatic car to owning a later stick shift car with the different body manufacturer.

6. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    "Italian Cars" is correct. Jay has a lot of car activity on his plate and every so often gets things wrong. He is correct in that Monteverdi's are truly great cars to own and drive. He totally missed it when he described the drivetrain as all Chrysler. The rear suspension is de dion, that is very similar to the Iso design, but just enough different that parts do not interchange. The rear axle is Salisbury limited-slip from England. There are no Chrysler parts anywhere to the rear of the transmission.

Nuvolari, thecarnut and Nembo1777 like this.
  7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Frua does not get enough respect IMO. The Monteverdi 375 with the quad headlights is an elegant car--better than the comparable Ferrari and Lamborghini offerings.

Nembo1777 and 3500 GT like this.
  8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I was watching another documentary on Bugatti and mostly about the revival in the late 80's and early 90's and how all of that fell apart and somehow they mentioned the Pantera and attributed it's design to Gandini and not Tjaarda. Then they mentioned Tjaarda for some other reason. I think people just make mistakes no matter who they are. There are no common stampings between the Mistral and this car, design elements yes. I think they were discussing so many automotive stylists because they had such a difficult time settling on a body design ... never really did IMHO as what resulted was horrible inside and out. Too many cooks in the kitchen?

71Satisfaction likes this.
  9. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    As we know Tom (Tjaarda) designed the original Pantera thru it modifications in the 80s. In the late 80s early 90s Gandini became DeTomaso’s favorite designer, updating the Pantera (90), the Biturbos, and designing the Chubasco.

tom opened his own studio in Torino in Frua’s old studio

10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    What they quickly showed was an original Pantera. Apparently almost everyone got a crack at the Bugatti body design. It's an interesting "documentary" ... I kind of like his pronunciation too ;)

One of the SF bay area Maserati club old timer's whom I knew pretty well because we both had connections to the Oakland A's, he went over to Italy and got a big tour of that new factory at it's peak and came back just glowing about what he'd seen. He's the one who always gave away umbrellas at Concourso Italiano to his favorite Maserati of the show. Erwin. I never got one though ... :( LOL.

11. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry