Can Someone Help Me Lose That Last Bit Of Bellyfat? | FerrariChat

Can Someone Help Me Lose That Last Bit Of Bellyfat?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by F355 Fan 82, Mar 2, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Ok long story short I've been on a great diet combined with an intense workout routine for the past year and I've gone from 5'11 205 to 173 lbs as of tonight, now I was always toned and athletic in high school so I know Im capable of a six pack because I had one 10 years ago.

I know I can't eat whataburger like I did back in school and have a six pack but right now my daily diet consists of a ton of egg whites with salsa(breakfast and dinner),chicken breast for lunch,green tea, avocado,almonds,tabbouli(lots of tomato,onion and parsley along with olive oil no cracked wheat) and 1-2 no carb protein shakes a day depending on how late I stay up.

So Im not eating anything with bad fats, yes avocado and olive oil are fattening but they're good fats, so anyways I was wondering where I need to go from here to shed that last bit of bellyfat. As far my cardio goes, I try and do about 20,000 steps on my pedometer daily in the form of walking at work, plus 1 hour and half of walking around the neighborhood plus jump roping 10 small 2 minute rounds....so I dont know how accurate the 20K steps are on the pedometer, but no complaints im losing weight.

I lift light weights too but nothing hardcore mostly just band training,pushups,planks, and other floor ab exercises. Any tips to get over this last hurdle would be really appreciated

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    What about beverages?

3. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Take a spin class twice a week or run. Get back to us in six weeks. Good luck.

4. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    #4 Zack, Mar 2, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
    You need to lose the fat and you also need to build the muscle up.
    Just tense your abs, back and buttock muscles as hard as you can and hold throughout the day. I do it while driving, and also to relax my body before going to sleep.

Also:
    Crunches with twists.
    Lie on your back, raise your legs up at 30 degrees, then crunch up and twist while making a bicycling motion with your feet.
    If you can do hanging exercises and then pull your legs up in front of you to an L position and hold, that will help.
    Some of the exercises in the Pilates floor routine also work.
    Ab roller really works.
    Woodchop is also a good one, especially for the serratus anterior.

Join a sparring class or get a partner that will hit you in the torso with enough intensity to cause you to crunch and tense up--it will build up your abs fast.

5. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Beverage wise it's alot of water, a big pitcher of green tea, and 1-2 diet dr peppers a day

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Do you drink all of that every day?

Drop the dr. peppers. I guarantee that will help.

7. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Ya I make huge pitcher of green tea...with splenda bc I can't drink that awful stuff haha and they are diet dr peppers so no calories orsugar, are the diet ones still bad?

8. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Doesn't splenda cause cancer? Why not just have tea without sugar--it's not hard to get used to the taste. You can always add a bit of lemon to remove the bitter taste if it's too strong.

And yes, I would avoid the Dr. Peppers, diet or not. That's junk food. Why do you have it every day? It helps you stay awake? Something else? Just get rid of it.

Also, on my exercises in my post above, if you can do 100 of anything without breaking a sweat, it's time to switch things up because your body has adapted. Tensing your abs and working your serratus anteriors does wonders--girls love to feel them. Don't ask how I know! :)

9. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Are you still losing weight now, or have you hit a plateau?

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  11. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    I've been using Stevia for about 6 months now. Taste great, and you hardly use any!

12. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Im still losing weight, it's just the bellyfat seems to just not go away, I can see the top 4 well and now Im left with this goofy looking 4 pack, gotta get it right before pool season comes up in these next few weeks. Wow did not know that about splenda, I will definitely have to look into it a bit more now.

13. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    It's partly genetics, partly evolution. That's where the body stores fat and it's one of the hardest areas to get rid of fat from. You will just have to try different diets and exercises and see what works. Read up on hormones and minerals and supplements that help burn fat and secondary fat, and see if any of those, along with good exercise and nutrition, help.

14. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I completely understand its genetic, but I had a six pack in high school granted that was 10 years ago and I dont have grueling football practice anymore, but I know my body is capable of it, I was just looking for some tips from anyone to improve upon what Im doing currently. I fully understand it is unrealistic to think I can look like a did 10 years ago, but I figure I can give it a shot, Im not exactly 30 yet!

15. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

I've always had that stubborn belly fat too. I was doing a lot of cardio and lifting but was neglecting my legs. On the advice of a friend, about 2 months ago I started doing lots of squats and hack squats. I've moved up to some heavy weights now and notice that, without any change in my diet, my little bit of belly fat is slowly going away. Just a thought.

RMX

16. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Yes, good advice. You engage your abs intensively when you do those leg exercises.

17. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    What high school did you go to?

One thing I read a while back was while your sitting in a chair at work, or similar suck and hold your stomach in. Not like you're holding your breath.

18. huichoval

huichoval Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2009
    texas
    Full Name:
    luis
    give Keith Klein a call he's one of the nation's top nutritionists and he's there in houston (713) 621-9339.

19. SpecialK43

SpecialK43 Karting

Oct 12, 2007
    Kzoo, MI
    Full Name:
    K Russell
    So whats the deal with aspartame? Granted I know it's not like a vitamin but I've recently cut my daily bottle of Reg Coke a day in exchange for a coke zero. I really don't enjoy it too much and would rather give myself the sugar since I've cut back almost all sugar in exchange for mainlywater and orange juice (I know it has sugar too)

20. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    I was told that aspartame is really bad, but splenda (yellow packets) is worse. Just stick with Stevia, and you'll be golden.

Of course, I'd rather drink real sugar than HFCS which is 99% of soda in Michigan. Jones isn't, and a few others aren't.

Just limit your sugar intake; and get rid of the carbonated beverages, as they don't help either.

21. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Abs are 95% made in the kitchen. If you want a ripped 6 pack you'll need to be under 5% bodyfat. If you keep losing weight those bottom two will show up eventually! That being said, there are certainly useful exercises to make them pop.

My abs work only consists of three:

Cable crunches, decline sit-ups w/ 25# plate on my chest, and weighted side bends. I go pretty heavy on the cable crunches, but not so much on the side bends. For those I only do 35# and focus on a full range of motion and form.

I don't have a set abs routine, I just do one of the three after each workout until I can't do anymore (obviously I do a different one everyday though).

Abs are fast-twitch muscles so they recover quickly-- you can do them everyday (calves too).

Bicycle crunches work too. I just tend to use things at the gym that aren't available to me in my house.

-Joe

22. 85GTO

85GTO Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    if you are still dropping weight then the answer is keep doing what your doing. If your weight is stable then you need to burn more calories or take in fewer. Sorry for the over simplified answer but it is the only answer.

It is generally easier to take in fewer than to burn more. Try this, leave the last bite of food on your plate, every meal. If you can cut an additional 25 calories out of your diet daily you will continue to drop weight.

23. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    problem is ALL sodas, diet or not, have lots of sodium which makes you retain water

The carbonation may have side effects as well

24. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    I very much doubt this. That amounts to 175 calories per week...which, under ideal conditions, would result in the loss of 175/3500 lbs, or 1/20th of a lb. Chances are, you would compensate for it anyways by snacking, and end up gaining weight overall. And if it was healthy calories, you would lose weight than this to begin with.

A weight loss this small is easily mitigated by a drink of water, a candy bar, etc. You don't notice weight losses this small, and your body weight fluctuates by more than this on a daily basis.

25. 355lvr

355lvr Rookie

May 5, 2006
    There is a phenomenon called HIIT. High Intensity Interval Training. Basically, it is intense cardio. Pick your machine at the gym - stairmaster, bike, treadmill, elliptical. Warm up for 5 minutes or so. Then, pump up the volume doing intervals for 30 seconds - 2 minutes. Example:

5 minute warm up level 7
    1 minute ascent level 9
    1 minute blast level 11-15 (depending)
    1-2 minute taper level 9

Basically, repeat the last 2 steps for 3-7 repetitions depending on your fitness level. You sweat like crazy and that's the point. Make sure you have water nearby.

Another thing - spin class is incredible. It's motivating and an intense workout. Plus, the ladies can be inspiring!

Please, please, please make sure you stretch afterwards. Hold the stretch for 20-40 seconds and do 2-3 reps per side. Do quads and hams. You can also do calves, glutes, and IT band. Stretching kind of sucks, but I made the mistake back in October that stretching was not that important. Sure I had run a marathon over the summer and completed a half-ironman as well, but guess what - because i put stretching secondary once the fall rolled around, I killed my knees and have not run since (mentally devastating, as running had become my passion). In summation, stretching has a greater benefit than it does cost.

Good luck to you.