Can someone make me a bolt? | FerrariChat

Can someone make me a bolt?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by timwu12, Nov 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    I don't have a lathe and nobody around me is interested in making me 1 bolt so I was wondering if anyone from the FChat braintrust has access to a lathe and can help make me a bolt.

The bolt in question is the backrest attachment bolt on the 360's sport seats that attaches the backrest to the pivot hinge.

Someone previously stripped the bolt and right now, I have an allen head M8 bolt in there but would love to have the original recreated if possible.

The original bolt is not available for purchase separately so it has to be made.

Specs:
    M8x20mm threaded section length
    30mm overall length
    13mm hex head
    M3 tapped hole in the center of the 13mm hex head

Thanks in advance!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044 likes this.
  2. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I could probably make one of those for you. Let me look a little more closely at it when I get home. Whats the thread pitch on it?

NMNMNMN and MK1044 like this.
  3. 05elise

05elise Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I should be able to make you one of those bolts on my lathe. The only difficulty for me would be getting my hands on some 13mm hex bar stock and most of my good taps and dies are inch and not metric so I might have to purchase those as well. Send me a message if you want me to look further into this.

MK1044 likes this.
  4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    One look at your fingers makes me cringe in pain! You should be wearing disposable nitrile gloves when you work on your car. My hands looked like yours before I found the miracle of nitrile gloves. Not only do they provide an extra layer of protection from abrasions and cuts, they also keep your hands from drying out and cracking. Also, since your hands won't get dirty, you won't have to scrub them with a toxic detergent anymore.

Then again, you may have some skin condition in which case, I apologize for my comment.

5. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    I have the equipment to do the work. If you can get me a 13mm hex bar and the old parts, I can get started right away.

MK1044 likes this.
  6. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Haha, that's exactly what my wife says too!

Bill, thank you for your offer, let me PM you separately.

@Jaguar36 & @05elise - Thank you both for being so gracious in offering your services!

7. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
  8. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    No Problem. I just checked and I've got the taps and dies for it and some stock so if if wmuno can't get to it let me know.

9. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I can make it. What ever the thread and hex. I have made a lot of Ferrari bits that can not be had over the counter. Let me know if the other choices don't work out.

JL350 likes this.