Can someone take a couple of measurements for me? | FerrariChat

Can someone take a couple of measurements for me?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Ak Jim, Dec 3, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I think the back of my car is sitting a little too low. I have the adjustable coil over in place of the failed load leveler so I can easily adjust the height. I just need to know about how far I need to raise it.

This first picture is of the front of the car. I’m measuring from the ground to the highest point of the wheel arch.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The second picture is the measurement for the rear of the car and I think this is a little too low.
    It would be quite helpful if one or two of you could check the distances for your car so I could see how mine compares.

Thx!

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    The owner manual does provide some comprehensive measurments of the A-Arms positioning. Maybe not as straightforward as wheel arch clearance, but should make it do?

3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I’ll have to take a look at the manual. I do think a general measurement from the ground to the arch would be much easier and really more than adequate for my needs.

4. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    The correct rear static ride height is best determined by measuring the eye-to-eye length of the rear dampers which should be 395mm.

5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    @Ak Jim Bear in mind that you do not have the correct Michelin 215 70 VR15 tyres on the on the car. The Pirellis you have fitted will certainly have a different sidewall height.

Ak Jim likes this.
  6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    If someone measured both the front and rear of their car I could see how the rear compared to the front and make mine the same difference.

7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Ok so looking at the car I think I’d have to remove the tire to measure that difference so I’d have to find a way to load the suspension at the correct offset to get an accurate measurement.

8. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    It's dead simple to measure the centre-to-centre distance (at load) using a tape measure held against the damper/load leveller mounting eye bolts. You can see both upper and lower damper pivot points from behind a rear wheel while lying on the ground.
    My reasoning to suggest that this length should be 395mm is based on measuring the internals of (many) Koni load levellers. The same load levellers were used on 365GT 2+2 (Queen Mary), 365GTC4, 365GT4 2+2, 400 and Series 1 400i. Later 400i and 412 have the same suspension geometry, so the dimension is valid for those cars also.
    As load comes on, an internal valve in the load levellers closes at an eye-to-eye length of 400mm, at which point they are designed/supposed to dramatically increase the force resisting load as the eye-to-eye length decreases (and maintain the correct ride height).
    The proof of the pudding is that the car "looks right" at 395mm. If your measurement is less, put a trolley jack under the centre of the rear chassis and raise it until you have 395mm and see what you think about the look when you stand back.
    Regards
    WM

rovexienus likes this.
  9. Theruse

Theruse Karting

Jan 17, 2014
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Prescott Russo
    My front/back are both 27 1/2 with1/2 tank fuel and coilovers (no self-levelling),

Ak Jim likes this.
  10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Thanks, I’ll take a closer look at this.

11. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    Just measured mine for you. 27 inches at the front, 23.5 at the rear.

12. GreggG

GreggG Karting

Jul 14, 2008
    New Jersey
  13. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    Can you post a side view photo of you car? I would expect it to look too high at the back, with these measurements. But I could very easily be wrong (and often am!).

14. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Interesting, thanks for the measurements. It would appear that my car is close to being at the correct height.

What prompted me to post the question was I tried to get the car aligned. The shop uses one of those laser alignment machines, which seems to now be the standard. When the tech tried to put the three finger attachment on to the rear of the car the finger (I'm calling it a finger because I don't know the official name) would not clear the wheel well in the back. We took a look at it and it looks like if the rear of the car was about 1.5" higher the attachment would fit. Anyone else have any problems getting their cars aligned? The finger I'm talking about is the black piece that is pointing straight up.