Can the 720s keep up with one of the most anticipated cars of the new year? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Can the 720s keep up with one of the most anticipated cars of the new year?

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by aaronrgonz, Dec 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It’s a buyers market right now for super cars. Tons of supply and dwindling demand.

Thecadster likes this.
  2. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    All brands...welcome to winter...slower (well perceived) economy = nice car pricing. Spring things will tighten again as it has forever.

Drive. Enjoy. Repeat.

3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It is a good point, I do wonder why there are so many when they make so few in comparison to other brands. The Spyder will account for some but I don't think that many, the LT is still 2 years out. There could be numerous reasons for inventory such as people with 18's upgrading to 19's, some going to Spiders and others who want something else. I bet there are some who can't handle the performance and move to the 488 (just kidding). At the end of the day, it doesn't take away from how great of a car it is. I will only trade mine for a Pista, a 2019 or an LT when available.

4. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    They have always needed more dealers. Many won't buy without local dealer. I didn't want to and finally said screw it. Nothing on the market can touch 720 IMHO.

It's only been out what a year and bit--there are 3500+ so far built (my VIN 35XX) They make plenty and market in exotic is softer now and yes winter has a big effect on all exotics. It's really not rocket science.

5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Last year was a record year, they built and sold about 4,800 cars world wide. That is a mix of all cars. Only a fraction are 720s to the US. Good info here: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/mclaren-sales-reach-record-figure-in-2018-up-44-percent-over-previous-year-131450.html

Yes, the market is softer. Maybe some are liquidating as they bought cars they couldn't afford. I also know many have ordered cars and then couldn't get financed so the dealer is stuck with them. This happened at Sterling on multiple cars.

6. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    I had been looking for four months and saw anywhere from 120-150 at any one time. About the same as 488.

Nothing has changed that much. McLaren did give dealers in the past few weeks several coupes as they are going to start running spiders down line. Had several dealers tell me they will not be getting many if any coupes (or have on order rather) for first half of 2019. So they are not in a hurry to 'dump' anything. You will see coupe market get tigher in spring as dealers have less inventory.

Again, as a recent buyer I have not seen a great change.

SoCal to az and Gh21631 like this.
  7. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I dont know. I dont like losing money. No one does. But I didn't buy my cars to make money. Nor did I take my last vacation hoping to make money. Nor did I go out to a nice dinner, hoping that I made money on the meal.

You buy a car, it goes down in value. There are cars you can buy that will hold value. I made money when I bought my sis for 110k and sold it for 165k a few years later. I made money when I sold my GT3 Touring for 20k more. But my ferrari 488 is going to cost me. My 720 is going to cost me.

But who cares. Its part of the game. If you can't afford it and you are going to spend 8 months analyzing the market, that's 8 months of no car and no driving.

There is a cost to doing business and it is what it is with regards to depreciation.

Jo Sta7 and IPO1 like this.
  8. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Maybe I am unique, but the cars I own I always hope for resilience against depreciation, cars I don’t own, but would like to, I root for a downward run. I own a HP and F12 (both on epic downward runs) and want to add a 720S to the stable (which seems to be on a similar trajectory). Bottom line, you have to pay to play. The way I do it is to simply budget $20,000/mon and consider it to be sunk cost. Money that might not ever be recovered. I collect the money in a separate account that is used for insurance, registration, property tax, maintenance, purchases, etc. I found that this sunk cost mentality protects me from the typical concerns regarding excessive depreciation. In May, I take delivery of the king of depreciation, a new Ferrari V12...the 812 Superfast...ouch.

Jo Sta7, Gh21631 and SoCal to az like this.
  9. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Totally agree. And the cars are all amazing and very distinct from each other. I wish I had more funds and more garage space.

Jo Sta7 and IPO1 like this.
  10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The cars may depreciate but it will put a hell of a smile on your face. Well worth the cost.

Congrats ont he 812. its a beast!

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Wow, fragile much? I have never been to Mclife. Not here to stir anything. I was just shocked by how mant 720s there are for sale and trying to understand why.

12. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Man well said. I love people that count cars on sale sites. Why are there 860 AMG GT's, 10,000 F150's, 150 488's, we could do this all day.

Like you said some cars I make, some I lose. Same with a house, same with airplanes (scratch that lost on every plane LOL) I've bought. It's life, and I have found those who sit on the side and toss stones tend to never enjoy.

720 and McLaren have changed the game and the industry is on notice and quite frankly scared--in a good way. Competition is what makes all brands better. It's amazing what they have done in the short timeframe. I sat on the sidelines bitching and wishing, then finally put my money where my mouth is...and I cannot wait for the ride. Something new, new brand, new experience...I've never been so excited waiting on a car to arrive. Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari--none have given me the little boy before Christmas feeling.

That is why I buy cars--for that feeling...everyday.

SoCal to az and Gh21631 like this.
  13. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Congrats on the 812---that sound is going to be amazing!!

Thecadster likes this.
  14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Don't forget boats. I am on my 3rd in 4 years.

Thecadster, SoCal to az and IPO1 like this.
  15. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    HAHA--yes that one goes into the lost every time bucket :) But man are they fun on a summer day with the right people on board.

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    At the end of the day you/we worked hard to be in a position to afford and enjoy these things and our time is running out so go enjoy. Driving these cars at 75 (if we make it that long) is not as much fun. Not to mention that many people in this market will continue to make more money that will significantly outpace depreciation on any car.

IPO1 likes this.
  17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Not to go on a tangent but those boats have brought me so much joy with family and friends and that they were worth every penny to me.

IPO1 likes this.
  18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    That’s the point!! The cost of true enjoyment. Sit there and ***** about depreciation or spend the money and enjoy the ride!!

Gh21631 and IPO1 like this.