Can we start a petition to draw and quarter Bob Varsha? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Can we start a petition to draw and quarter Bob Varsha?

Discussion in 'F1' started by SRT Mike, Apr 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    If you can remember please tell Bob 'texasmr2' says hello from Htown

tex

2. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    If he knew so much about F1 he wouldn't constantly make mistakes in his commentary.

Numerous mistakes every single week. Whether he knows more than an individual on a website is irrelevant... he is paid to be an expert. A driver that sucks gets flamed... look at Piquet. It doesn't mean those who criticize Piquet think they could do better. But one does not need to be better themselves to think someone who is touted as an expert, sucks.

3. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    I usually watch the british feeds because I like their commentary better, but I also like bob varsha and the speed tv crew a lot.

4. enzokidd

enzokidd Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2009
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shaunt
    i agree with you about varsha's retarded comments..it's also kind of strange listening to one american accent among a bunch of british accents..especially while watching f1..just annoys me a bit

5. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Anyone catch the IRL commentary?

"The late British F1 champion Stirling Moss..." Wrong in every part except British!

6. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Notwithstanding the fact that you need the letters IRL to spell IRreLevant, in actuality Mr. Moss was quite late at becoming an F1 champion...:)

7. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    Instead of a "Grid Walk"...

Why don't we have a "Grid Girl Walk" segment?

I'm sure some of us 3am watchers would appreciate all of the glittering eye-candy!!!!!

(It sure would be nice if they read this site and add this segment to their telecast). We can always dream, can't we?

Frank

8. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    When I got the F1 bug back in the late '60s the only way you saw a Grand Prix on TV was when Jim McKay did the taped Monaco race on ABC. I lived to read about each race after the fact in Autoweek&Competition Press, which was a pulp tabloid at the time. When cable TV became somewhat available to the masses I got an invite from a friend-of-a-friend to watch a race live in the wee hours of the morning and I thought I had gone to heaven. SPEED may not be the definitive coverage, but I'm thankful to have it..especially since it comes on the NASCAR network. It's light-years better than what you get from the networks. Our fellow Americans don't "get" F1, and may never fully appreciate it. If Steve Matchet can educate of few of SPEED's redneck veiwers enough to at least respect F1, that's a good thing. Given the current state of things we should consider ourselves lucky to have F1 coverage at all. I like David Hobbs a great deal. I got to meet him and chat for 20 minutes at last year's Barrington Concourse and I can tell you he knows his stuff and has a great, ascerbic wit. As for other commentators, the one ex-driver I wish I could have heard call a race was James Hunt. I really liked that guy.

9. barndoor

barndoor Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    oregon
    Full Name:
    mr smith
    The biggest problem with the F-1 coverage from Speed is that they (mainly varsha) are commentating to nascar fans.Most nascar fans do not watch F-1,and they wont,because Speed has done nothing but bash F-1 to the Nascar fans.There are way more F-1 fans in the USA than anyone knows and WE dont get REAL F-1 coverage or commentary.They wont broadcast practice,we have to watch quali at midnight (still worth it) but cant they replay it during the day? instead they run reruns of pinks-lowlife-castro stereo hack-pimp my ride crap-truck practice-larry darryl and darryl......
    The USA is a huge market and our only racing channel has turned into MTV.
    If Varsha knows so much about F-1,why not share it with us while he's being paid to commentary F-1 ?
    What we really need is a REAL racing channel !

10. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    True dat. Fox owns SPEED, Fox wants their core audience (NASCAR and Pinks fans) to watch more of their channel. But they fail to understand that NASCAR and drag racing are very different. NASCAR and drag racing are not team sports in the sense that F1 is. Most NASCAR fans don't relate to F1 and will not in spite of people like Varsha or Matchett having to explain how quali works for the 800th time.

11. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Just finished watching Bahrain practice and kept a more critical ear to Varsha and the team.

You know what ? : I'm good to go with the package;

Good flow.
    Insightful commentary and stats
    Humor and wit via class clown Hobbs.
    And a guy actively setting up a F1 team.

I give it an "A".

I really like the superimposed cars running "on top" of one another.
    This feature will show the differences not only in cars but drivers. Now to sort out how much one is influenced over the other.

12. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I've noticed that they're better doing practice than they are for qualifying or for the race. Its almost as if they are more relaxed and are working a different demographic. A more knowledgeable fan base?

13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If JPM would be commentating on an F1 race I will officially getting a subscription to speedTV. That would be brilliant, America would be upside down with the constant use of swearwords. :D

14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    LOL

Right on. Same goes for Montoya. I will never understand why some people get themselves into a pretzel when a driver uses the same language you hear on the streets, in public and at work all the time. Four letter words are everywhere. Get used to it.

Only PR and PC trained F1 robots don't use them and thank their grandmother for putting a wonderful car together.

15. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    The CBS announcers were absolutely dreadful and did a poor job of representing America. Those hicks sounded like they would have been more at home annoucing a mud bog competition. :eek: After a few debacles, they were at least wise enough to have the Speed announce team, which is light years ahead of the CBS clowns, cover it on the different channel.

16. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    "1. "So many fans love watching these guys race in the rain that we should set up sprinklers on the track to make it wet all the time!""

That's not what he said. He said that a lot of fans love it and have suggested they put sprinklers on the track to make it wet...he wasn't suggesting, he was commenting on what readers have e-mailed.

And Varsha is just fine. Sure, he has a few gaff's and mistakes, but he has been doing F1 since ESPN days when he and Daily were watching the feeds on 12" B&W monitors in the ESPN studios in NYC and trying to commentate on that, and that alone. No grid reporter, no timing/scoring, NOTHING but a tiny tv to look at.

The Speed coverage is light years better than what us old folks remember. Could some parts of it be better, sure. But like anything you can only please so many people at one time. Adding Matchet to the line up has made it incredibly good, esp. for us Formula Ford drivers and tech/engineer guys like me.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Every time I read a comment like this I'm stunned: When was it the last time Matchett actually contributed a technical fact that wasn't already known/blatantly obvious?

Sorry, he disappoints me to no end. I expect a lot more from the so called tech expert.

18. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    I watched the BBC coverage of Bahrain with Brundle and some other guy. Commentary was so boring and devoid of any enthusiasm that I was longing for the Speed crew. To their credit however, the race was a snoozefest.

19. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Mattchett is the one I enjoy listening to the most. Yes the RPM episodes are canned "old news" but I still pull stuff from them and most are well done.
    Race car dynamics really haven't changed that much since he's been active.
    He still has connections and respect on pit lane but without crawling over the actual car he's just making informed assumptions or is privy to facts as they are released.
    For him to start postulating then found wrong would be career suicide once credibility is lost. Or IF he did get the real inside scoop and released it, those in the garage would close those doors to him forever.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I hear you and get what you're saying. Still my question remains: What is it that he brings to the table?

Nowadays even the fuel calculations are part of the on screen graphics. I can see when a team puts on super softs or not. We have the pit comm and hear when a car is in trouble (e.g. Massa in Bahrain). What is it that is so great about him?

Again, I'm a big fan of his book, which is filled with inside stories etc, but none of that comes through in his race commentaries. Because he is 15 years away from it.

I hate to say this, because I really don't like Windsor, but his commentaries DURING the race from the pits bring the most insights.

I'm not complaining btw, the Speed guys are as good or bad as any TV commentators. I just don't get why some folks are praising Matchett. For friggin what?

21. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I think he brings a lot...

I wasn't really looking for things to say about him in this last race, but a few things that stand out

1) He noticed the puncture type hole in the side of Rubens car as it just flashed across the screen... even Hobbs mentioned how amazing it was that he caught it

2) He noticed Rubens end plate was damaged... I thought I saw something but he brought it up, good catch

3) He highlighted the failure mode of carbon brakes. I thought they wore very little during a race and it was all about their heat absorbption but Matchett talkes about how the carbon brakes will wear and that lowers their heat absorbption capability and it's a snowball effect situation.

4) He talked about how the teams were placing the KERS batteries in the same area as the fuel tank and postulated that KERS teams may have a disadvantage next year if there is no refueling, since they would be less free on where to keep the weight

5) He correctly pointed out that a (Ferrari I think) mechanic who was working on the front of the car during practice was moving the ballast plates around. I had no idea what the guy was doing but Matchett nailed it.

6) He pointed out that the sparks coming from Hamiltons car during practice were from the tungsten plates under the car and pointed out where the plates were and noted that the locations the sparks were coming from indicated they were running it in high-downforce mode and postulated that they were trying to get more grip because they didn't have the diffuser. All that from watching where the sparks were coming from.

7) He offered a very good reason why the BMW guys were putting out fires twice on the car - that the fuel tank has a vapor release valve at the location the fires were starting and offered a good theory on why that was happenning.

In prior races, he talked about the ground plate. People know what it is but Matchett discussed what it was made from, how it was attached to the car, where exactly it was, how the teams set it and how they used it.

He has talked about how the ECU's work. He told us about how the fuel filler cap works and how it opens/closes on it's own. He discussed the grounding straps in the pit lane. He showed how the single-lock-nut wheels work. He showed how the new tire guns work with the air wing hub things.

In general he often points out highly detailed technical parts of the car. Some may find him boring and too detailed but I love it. I really enjoy when he gets off on his explanations of how things work during the race. The RPM segment is mostly fluff, but it's still decent... I like seeing the cars up close without the bodywork on.

I'd say Matchett is the best of the three.

22. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    ^ What he said ;)

Sometimes I think Hobbs or Varsha are going to throw a bucket of water on him when he starts to "Geek Out".

Anyone check out Jean-Michaels "full frontals" last race ?
    But it was Bahrain; Bah ! Nice scarves.

23. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Bob Varsha has been around the car scene for decades. Some may not like his style but he certainly has the background experience. However we don't get Bob and the gang here any more. So now it's just Fast Eddie and the BBC crowd. They have started to use the split screen here during commercials now, which is some progress. The real action is at the track; the talking is not so important though some would have you believe otherwise...
    CH

24. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Couldn't agree more. I don't understand what some people expect. If I had to listen to two of the three it would be Matchett and Hobbs. I don't think I would miss anything important.

25. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I've got to respectfully disagree there.... I think they enjoy his "geek outs" as much as the majority here do. I certainly do.

I think "RPM" could be much improved - They've got a tough "demographic" when that airs... Maybe, add a longer / deeper version as a segment to "F1 debrief"?

Returning to Mike's OP, I do think "drawing and quartering" is a little strong :) He's not too bad IMHO - Someone's gotta do the in & out intros and keep the other two "under control"......

Cheers,
    Ian