Can we stop Marchionne and how | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Can we stop Marchionne and how

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Svito, Sep 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    The company is solid as a rock. The product line is superb. As an owner of a new car and an older model, I've experienced great engagement. I also wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari will start producing niche lines that satisfy some who wish for a more purist experience. In fact, looking back over this past year, the company has made a strong commitment to its heritage and the older cars. The 70th Anniversary celebrations were spectacular. Also, whatever you think of Classiche, it is a major business arm that Ferrari is putting greater and greater emphasis on. This also is a commitment to its lineage. And yes, they have every right to make money doing it.

Having said all that, get over the resentment towards evolution. Ferrari has always been a forward thinking company and it currently is staying true to its heritage. If you like older cars, great (I Donas well). Than, focus your passion on them. But, this idea that they'll just scrap modern technology and go back to analog cars at 3,000 units per year is just silliness.

2. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Well said

Viperjoe likes this.
  3. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    ALL of F-chat members? I'd be impressed if you can get 5% of F-chat members to do anything like this.
    Boycott Ferrari events? People are throwing cash at Ferrari to get on "The List". Not sure if a few dozen boycotting people will do much.

Mitch Alsup has the right idea. I think it'll take more than a Billion though.

4. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    The current cars are awesome and I don't think many of us have anything against them. Turbocharging and paddleshift gearboxes are a must and I think we all understand that.

The big problems in my opinion are the increase of the annual product numbers and the intention of making a SUV. The FF was the perfect compromise between the brand's heritage and the demand, but anything beyond it will be too much. I remember not long time ago Marchionne said Ferrari will make a SUV only "over his dead body".

Adding a SUV to the Ferrari product line will make the company more profitable for sure, but it will definately destroy its name.

And yes - the company is very solid now, but it was not Marchionne who achieved that. It was the great Luca di Montezemolo.

5. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2017
    Register the domain MakeFerrariGreatAgain.com

Image Unavailable, Please Login

bergxu likes this.
  6. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I understand your concerns, but let's just wait and see on the SUV front. It will likely be an evolution of the GTC4 Lusso. I admit, when I first heard of the idea I freaked. But, as time has gone by, the more I thought about, why not? Ferrari has created vehicles off their beaten path before. And, times evolve. My guess is, Enzo himself would be excited about it. He was the most forward thinking personality in the companies history.

7. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    As long as the punters keep lining up, throwing money at anything with a dancing pony, they will keep making more and more supercars, sports cars, SL wannabes, station wagons or whatever they can peddle. The only way to effect change is to vote with your wallet.

Sfumato likes this.
  8. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    MFGA! :confused:

But hey; something like this worked out the last time ;)

9. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006

And why not a " smart for two " , i think it ll give much more money to the company ...People thinking building a truck completely disconnected from the brand s histury are not really Ferrari s fan, and more interested in up to date cars... It s not bad, but it s tottaly a different state of mood

10. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I agree. When Ferrari was experimenting with strange models, it was a time, when they still established them and searched their path. And also back then the money from sales were crucial for funding the F1 team. Now it is a different story. Ferrari is an exotic car manufacturer and not just a sport car manufacturer, like Porsche for an example. The Ferrari name has so much more in its history and heritage and anything different from a pure sports machine with a Ferrari badge will be a huge mistake. The simple logic shows, that if Ferrari launches a 200HP 4-cilinder coupe for $60 000, this will triple its annual profit, but is that the right way? And will it be good for the long-term future of the brand?

day355 likes this.
  11. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Enzo excited? LOL

More like agitated and spinning in his grave.

Sfumato and day355 like this.
  12. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  13. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    What is the big deal with people and this SUV.

The entire world is going to the form of the SUV. The SUV will need to be made to get "specials" funded. If you like sports cars.... you had better embrace the SUV.

If they weren't looking into the SUV position they would be behind the ball and honestly it would reflect poorly on them.

If they don't look into the hybrid electric thing and I HATE those cars... then again... they would be behind the ball. There is too much talk of banning ICE cars to not explore the option.

In my opinion, the silver bullet is an electric SUV. That would be interesting just because the package would be large enough to get a useful battery (as useful as those useless Li-On batteries can be) and they can get their CAFE numbers up. Plus then that electric segment is relegated to just the SUV. So the SUV haters and the electric haters can just avoid one model

paulchua and NEP like this.
  14. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Ferrari more or less always made cars for the public based off its racing heritage so they could continue to race (at least thats what a lot of the books and programs i have watched say) and Enzo came to hate what Ferrari's had become, collectible toys rich people bought and kept in the garageinstead of driven like he intended the cars to be. Currently Ferrari only manufactures cars for a very small segment of the population, which cuts folks like me that gross 150k to 200k out of realistically being able to buy a new one. That relegates buyers like me to the used market, which Ferrari wont get but a fraction of those sales. I can tell you that if they made a car in the 60 to 100k range, which I can afford, id certainly consider if not buy assuming you are getting near the same quality and it was a car I liked. And surely some of the components could be carried over making them much more reliable and less expensive offsetting the reduction in the newer lower priced cars.

Not sure what I think of a Ferrari SUV as it is most certainly out of Ferrari's wheelhouse. Again it would be geared towards a very narrow segment, be very exclusive and high cost to maintain. Doesn't seem like a good investment/development since they are so late to the SUV game but who knows. I just dont see them making any money with it and it could possibly shine a negative light on the brand. Of course I personally have very little need for an SUV and if I did have a need for one I have my personal favorite should i want or need one. When I think of Ferrari I think of performance and speed and the thrill of the ride not lets load up and head to the lake to go camping in my 300k SUV.

15. Svito

Svito Karting

May 13, 2013
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Svito Puko
    For all of you who still believed people like me were too much alarming and that a Ferrari SUV would have never been possible take this:

http://www.omniauto.it/magazine/48833/suv-ferrari-conferma-marchionne

And, as "rumen1" mentioned above, Marchionne is a cheeky liar! He has lied even in the IPO Prospectus when stated the production would have raised a maximum of 9.000 vehicles. It is no more a secret now the production will rapidly increase over 10.000 and some rumors say the real target will be close to 15.000.

Attached Files:

16. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    To me that reads more like its going to make a car with 4 doors. When i think of SUV I think of the Suburban, Tahoe, Durango, Expedition, ECT. but i suppose the definition of an SUV might have changed too I dont know.

17. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Ferrari is currently making some great performance cars, but to be honest, the rarity and mystique are gone. Any decent sized city has plenty of them clogging up valet stands. Unlike when I was a kid... seeing a Ferrari (any Ferrari), was a rare event and very, very special. That has been replaced by ever increasing production numbers, t-shirts, hats, child car seats and anything else they can relieve money from punter's wallets. If Ferrari is good at anything, they are extremely good at pulling huge amounts of money from people who 'just want to be associated' with the brand.

Hybrid? SUV? Models targeted at women buyers (California). Oh well. Ferrari is just not that special anymore.

bergxu likes this.
  18. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Sad but true.

19. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I don't see that. I think it depends where you live. Even in Cheshire (renowned for well paid football players or soccer if your American) you don't see that many. When I visit London, which is not that often I do see a few more but not commonplace.

20. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Should we stage a mock funeral in front of the factory?

I guess it would have been better to do it during the 70th Anniversary events, more press there.

21. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Good point. I think a new Dino will fill this niche. And with a cool "push to pass" button on the steering wheel and an upgraded KERS system. Maybe the button will have a "no Tesla" symbol on it? :)

22. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Right. And Ferrari invented; Wings, Side Pods, Rear Engined LM cars, F1 Robotic Transmission system. To hell with WIlliams ride control, the darn cheaters! ;)
    Read _Forghieri on Ferrari_ excellent book. But even Mauro had to leave for Lamborghini because of politics.

23. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I agree with you I don't think of loading in any 300k dollar SUV.

But...

Reality is 90% of SUVS are not driven off road.

Also, reality has set in that one of the biggest competitors to the Mercedes S550 is no longer the 7 series or Audi A8 or Jag XJ.... Its the Range Rover.

The buying public wants SUVs. Not sedans. Ferrari will find a larger market and better profitability in the SUV world than the sedan world. Thats just the facts. The growth Market is SUVs. NOT Electric cars. Not hybrids.... Its SUVs. like it or not... if you want to stay alive... you had better build an SUV. Look at how many toyota makes... they have a **** TON of SUVs in there line up.... and its not because they don't sell

Also concerning high cost to maintain... Ferraris now have the factory service included at a price. And they are low maintinance compared to the 90s. I don't think its a big factor. Personally.

F2003-GA likes this.
  24. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Actually... Enzo Ferrari had a MINI. Enzo said the E-type was the most beautiful car ever created... and he said all of the people who bought his road cars were fools (FIAT era)

Enzo didn't truly care about production cars... he cared about racing. He only cared that he had enough money to race.

Enzo would be spinning in his grave over his crappy F1 seasons... thats about it.

bergxu and kerrari like this.
  25. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The mystique may go down year after year, but the quality and performance will continue to go up. The new Fcars are incredible performance wise and their interiors are stunning. They've come a long way from the 90s style and quality. I'm curious how the current cars will hold up over time (mechanically, not value). Hopefully they don't become like Mercedes/BMW, which I refer to as lease car manufacturers. You don't want to own one of those out of warranty. Of course Ferraris are expensive to maintain, but they hopefully never get to the point of becoming a parts car as it's too expensive to maintain.

I'm OK with an SUV if they make a separate brand name, but use the same powertrain and dealer network for sales and service. The same applies for the "entry level" pricing brand that should be under Dino. $75k imo is way too low nowadays...that's fully loaded F550 pickup pricing. They would need to go to the mid 100s range.

Porsche is doing well both on the racetrack and on the streets. I still prefer the 993 styling, but the modern cars are way way better in terms of fit and finish and performance. The 993 is spartan by comparison and some people prefer that, which I get.

bergxu likes this.