Canadian border issues

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by kliko312, Sep 3, 2009.

  1. kliko312

    kliko312 Karting

    May 21, 2008
    Full Name:
    I'm planning to bring my car to Brett's shop (Gran Turismo) in Alliston, Ontario. It's a Ferrari 400i GT. I live in the US, Beavercreek OH. Can I bring my car across the Canadian border on a car hauler, without having to import the car? The required work will be completed in a week. When the work is done I'll take the car back home.

    I researched the CBSA, on their website and made some phone calls but all the answers confused me a lot.

    Thanks for the help, Jan
  2. To remove this ad click here.

  3. SrfCity

    SrfCity F1 Veteran

    Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, CA
    The hauler will have to have some paperwork in order. Not exactly sure what that is. An F friend had to do the same for the Mt. Tremblant national meet a while back when he had his car towed up for that. Call a transport company or this service guy should have an idea. Whatever is required it's pretty straight forward.
  4. kliko312

    kliko312 Karting

    May 21, 2008
    Full Name:

    The plan is is haul the car myself to Gran Turismo. I understand that when I arrive at the Canadian border control entry point they will provide me with the paperwork I have to fill out. I hope no duty is required.

    Thanks, Jan
  5. Kds

    Kds F1 World Champ

    You can always enter as a tourist while driving the car. No paperwork required. Bring your passport though.

    When you leave Canada, declare the repairs and pay your US duty/taxes at your chosen US port of entry.

    Any car carrier can do also this for you, no big deal. Happens all the time.
  6. kliko312

    kliko312 Karting

    May 21, 2008
    Full Name:
    That sounds easy to me. However the car is not driveble at this time, that's why I will put it on a trailer and bring it to Brett's shop. But still that should work then.

  7. To remove this ad click here.

  8. scorpion

    scorpion Formula Junior

    Jan 19, 2004
    Good luck! You need to make sure you have all the paperwork in order and have a clear understanding of the procedure ahead of time. Things just aren't what they use to be.

    I use to travel into Canada quite a bit but hadn't in a number of years. This summer I crossed the border into Alberta - always before into Ontario or BC, and I have to say this time was a different experience. I don't know if it was simply the fact that we were in the middle on nowhere and the guards had nothing better to do than to hassle a couple of tourists but in any case, while the crossing had always been uneventfull this time the Canadian guard nearly tore the car apart looking for whatever and was a total ass. It took about an hour and a half just to get into Canada. I can only imagine if we were trying to do something like transport a car across the border. The crossing might be different in civilization but I wouldn't count it.
  9. AceMaster

    AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

    Feb 6, 2009
    Calling a penalty
    Full Name:
  10. Racerboy

    Racerboy Formula Junior

    Feb 3, 2004
    Bay Area
    Call AN Deringer, they have offices all along the border. I just used them to get a car into the US after purchasing it in Canada and it was seamless.
  11. bcwawright

    bcwawright F1 Veteran

    Jul 8, 2006
    Full Name:
    Drive it across the border as a tourist then all of a sudden your car breaks down and you have to get it coming in from the usa to fix it NO any work done in which you were charged canadian sales tax is refunded on reentry to usa....
    I did this on my renntech mercedes and didn't have to pay anything coming back into usa...that was 5yrs ago...not sure if they have changed anything
  12. To remove this ad click here.

  13. UpNorth

    UpNorth Formula 3

    Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
  14. SrfCity

    SrfCity F1 Veteran

    Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, CA
    So much for NAFTA? Sounds like it might be easier to just find someone in the US to work on it to avoid any third degree, especially if you plan to tow it yourself. Good luck.
  15. BigHead

    BigHead Formula Junior

    Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Not a big deal, in my experience. Have trailered up my Challenge a couple of times to Tremblant; just need to stop at the border, get a one-page form, fill it out, and have the inspector sign it. Then give the inspector the form when you're crossing back South again with the newly-repaired car.

    I think you'd have to declare value of new parts on the car for customs, but you're entitled to an $800 exemption.



  16. Neonzapper

    Neonzapper F1 Rookie

    Oct 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    Most of you are posting from experience. I'm not, but I was talking with a tractor-trailer driver this afternoon. He's bringing a 348 from Maryland to Canada. He's been doing this for years, and tells me that there is now a ton of paperwork that needs to be filled out. He had a Canadian customer whose car broke down in Florida, and the owner said he would drive it back to Canada himself because he doesn't want it to cross into Canada and then have it brake down there. If the car's going to break down in America before crossing the border, he'll have no problem trailering it back to Florida.
  17. kliko312

    kliko312 Karting

    May 21, 2008
    Full Name:
    Thank you all for sharing your information. This is helpfull.

    Today I got an e-mail from a CBSA agent who told me I need to state how long the car will be in Canada. There is a form I need to fill in and sign, once I return back to the US I have to turn the form in again and an agent will witness that I'll take the car back. The agent at the border might request a deposit to be able to enter Canada, this will be refunded once I will be going back to the US with the car.

  18. Earthboundmisfit

    Earthboundmisfit Formula Junior

    Aug 7, 2009
    Full Name:

    Yesterday I imported my Mondial into Canada on a trailer. The form you will get at the border is called a Form 1 where you fill in your name, address and car details and there is a section (16) where you'd select option f, vehicle entered by a visitor, a tourist or a person holding a valid work permit or student visa. It was pretty painless, aside from paying the GST and duty, which you wouldn't need to do.

    BTW, Brett's really busy right now, so can you wait until he finishes with my car?... ;-)
  19. Ak Jim

    Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

    Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Ha ha, I hope your cars are after my 365!

Share This Page