Canceling my Corvette C-8 option. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Canceling my Corvette C-8 option.

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by LightGuy, Oct 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hey, I was actually trying to be tactful by labeling your previous post "aggressive" but I guess you're still on a tear. :rolleyes: I don't know but it's like you can't help yourself sometimes and post obnoxious statements that are out of context, trying too hard to provoke, attract attention to yourself. If you have applicable insight to contribute, you don't have to "dress up" your delivery with irrelevant theater and drama. I've read some of your better posts and they're good.

As for the C8 Stingray, I think GM is doing us a favour by trying to offer many of the features of exotics at very attractive prices. I'd be interested to see how the platform evolves with optional packages, Z06 and ZR1 versions.

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Not exactly.

I'd say many Ferrari buyers are buying much more expensive, usually cutting edge technology as well an expensive dream or symbol. They are reluctant to alter their icons, damage resale value by modifying or "fixin" any shortcomings. Ferraris are engaging for sure, but hardly perfect and the factory will admit that, with pride.

OTOH, Vette owners know their cars are wannabees and see value in upgrading their cars because doing so allows them to have fun with manageable risk, add value, and truly challenge the performance of "cutting edge" technology.

3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    No car is perfect out of the box, if they were I'd probably have only bicycles, and maybe a Honda.

4. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    My prediction is that some tuner will put a manual in the C8 and get a TON of business. I also believe the C8 will be the first vette that DIY guys do not mod as much. From what I have heard you have to drop the engine and this will prevent most from trying it. Not saying they will not take it to a shop. Tuner guys will make out nice from it. Its the shade tree guys that will not go for it. I would like to know how difficult changing plugs will be? The passenger side has always been a PIA. I don't see you getting to them from the top anymore. Headers? I put them on my C5Z myself. Wasn't too bad but I bet it is now. Time will tell.

boxerman likes this.
  5. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I share the design concerns and really hated the back half of the car when it came out. Still not a fan.
    I ordered one and have a deposit on a place in line for the Z06.
    The engineering in this car and the value for the money cannot be beat. It is simply outstanding.

6. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I don't have strong opinions on the looks of the C8 or any new mid engine car for that matter, they all seem to be coalescing in terms of design. To my eyes it is similar to Ferrari, Lambo, McC - each have their own nuances but they are primarily similar to my eyes. Elegance went out of favor with the 355, they all look like origami.

But what really has a hold on me lately is the C7. The last version of a front engined manual tran 'Vette, and the more I see them the more I appreciate and admire them.

italiafan and boxerman like this.
  7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

... to be fair pedestrian safety regulations and global crash safety design requirements have permanently changed the shape of all vehicles.

Manufacturers cannot make cars "like the good old days" and legally sell them for road use.

The wedge shape has been engineered away.

8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    If it’s 80% as capable as a 458 on track, I’ll take one in a few years as a beater. design wise, about as exciting as the poorly done spf90 and 812 sadly.

boxerman likes this.
  9. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have owned about 40 corvettes over the years (own 3 now ) I like the C8 have my early deposit in .. I think the design is fine I saw the same car the op was speaking I think it was a poor choice for the display car forget what they call the color but it is the very light grey looked dirty but then again more than a thousand people sat in it mostly with jeans I was pleased to see it didn't wear out .. I also saw the new tan interior the dripped tan or whatever they call the top of the line interior ... and I love that ... it may not be a Ferrari but I could by 4 of these for the price of a F8 ... and I suspect maintenance will be cheap.. because even an Expensive chevy repair will be below a cheap Ferrari repair... and speaking of design has anyone seen the new
    Sf90....