Cancelled Pista Spider Orders | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Cancelled Pista Spider Orders

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Scraggy, Sep 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sfcarguy

sfcarguy Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 9, 2018
    Earth

2. DanielDaniel

DanielDaniel Rookie

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    ....outright cancellations are picking up quite fast....

why are people cancelling the car order.......?
    i dont get it ......what's up ....

3. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Don’t know if this is true, but even if it is there is no mystery. Too many people buy limited (number or time) Ferrari on the premise of zero depreciation or mild appreciation. There are thousands of customers who will buy a 500k car if you tell them they can’t lose money. Tell them they‘ll drop 150k in 2 years and most of them will run a mile. The market is now much softer, limited cars are not really limited and the deflation of the bubble is finally upon us. Nothing wrong with that. It is healthy. Long time Ferrari clients aren’t going anywhere. And who knows, it might focus Ferrari on making even better cars!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    With regard to the situation here in the United States, there is a vast gulf between rumours on the internet and reality on the ground. I therefore politely propose the following acid test: Go into your local Ferrari dealer and tell them you are there to claim an allocation for a Pista Spider, and that you are quite sure that said highly undesirable car is readily available because of the epidemic of cancellations that you read about online.

After you have secured your build spot, which I'm quite confident will take less than five minutes, make sure to post all the details here.

5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I tried. They laughed at me! Lol

Caeruleus11, Gh21631, dmark1 and 2 others like this.
  6. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I called my dealer and they asked me how many I would like - that is Lusso’s they said.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

junc and FordGTDriver like this.
  7. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    This is hilarious, my dealer gave me two

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    For what it is worth this is what is being communicated to me by two brokers I know well enough to call my friends and are always forthright with me about car market values and availability even when it's about cars that they don't have any skin in the potential deal. Obviously anyone may disregard the information if they wish, I'm not going to test this by contacting the dealer as I have no interest in a Pista or in wasting a dealer's time to test a theory.

As we sit here today, one cannot show up at a US Ferrari dealership from the street without any prior history and purchase and spec a Pista coupe much less a Spider, even if they come with a great reference/introduction from a valued customer and even if they're holding a $400+k check in hand. So that's the clear cut answer to that.

However ...

One can walk into some US Ferrari dealerships with check in hand and get a pre-specced Pista coupe at msrp + tax from the ordering customer, say around $20/$30k. This is not an adm or any sort of premium that goes to anyone's pocket, it's simply the refund of the sales tax on the car. This is because as it turns out there are customers who are looking to back out of this car, not necessarily because of market reasons (although that is a thing as per the op) but also because they might have gotten an allocation for some other Ferrari they prefer like the Spider or other forthcoming model, or simply personal reasons. So in a way, you can get technically speaking get a Pista coupe at msrp, albeit not your ideal spec and you'll have double up on sales tax if your state has one, which means that it might as well be an adm.

PJxxx and FordGTDriver like this.
  9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

How do you know what someone can buy one for? Have you tried? Also, who cares?

No one here is too worried about it. We are just enjoying the car.

mkraft3003 and SoCal to az like this.
  10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

I'm going by my dealer to look at another car today. I'll ask. Haha

11. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Well said, and remarkably rational. Also presents the question as to whether, given the somewhat eccentric specs on the some of the Pista orders we have seen, one would be willing to double up on sales tax for a pink car with orange stripes :)

soulsea likes this.
  12. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    I'm sorry for being on topic?

13. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    Soulsea is right. You can buy a pista from msrp to maybe 20-30 over, the demand isn't as high as maybe there is too much supply or maybe everyone that ordered one was a flipper and doesn't want the car.

14. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    Id like to see where you can get one for msrp with a decent spec in the US.

15. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    It's the speculators bailing.

Ferrari made it clear that the Pista wasn't limited, just production limited and we all know what that means. The UK is already seeing Pista's go for list and open slots, some second hand dealers reckon the Pista will go below list by Spring but the UK supercar market as a whole is in a nose dive and everything is dropping.

16. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Please PM me where you can get one for MSRP in US. I have talked to most dealers and have not had any luck with that...

Thecadster likes this.
  17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    This is the on the ground reporting I believe as to the actual state of affairs with the Pista. I know you are diligent in your research for the car and you will tell it like it is. If you say its not available for MSRP - thats gospel to me and the truth.

FordGTDriver, Gh21631 and IPO1 like this.
  18. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Cold calling dealers isn't going to get you an allocation even if they have a slot available. If they have one on the ground or to be on the ground they won't tell the typical person making cold calls for the car.

They always have stand by brokers, third party exotic car companies who will buy the car for sale to another customer or ship it outside the States. When the market shrinks then the old reliable customer types like this start backing out (affects their relationship with the dealer going forward Everyone's your friend when they win).

Lots of dealers use third party exotic car companies to move inventory (new and used).

nads, sampelligrino and soulsea like this.
  19. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #369 IPO1, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    I agree. I was asking if someone can email me with a MSRP lead.

Someone threw out MSRP units can be had, great let me know (privately) where.

I was stating it has not been what I have seen with brokers, dealers (may I know) or otherwise.

Just my personal account in the past two weeks, which obviously means nothing.

FordGTDriver likes this.
  20. Carrerarsr

Carrerarsr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Frank
    it will be the same like it was with the speziale. They were below list here in Germany for some time and they went up after about a year and never went back below list since then. Speziale was not limited by numbers but by production time same as the pista even if there will be more pistas. So we will see what will happen.
    After mine was secured beginning of this year we tried to find another one for a good friend. We were not lucky !

SoCal to az likes this.
  21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I dont know how the final production numbers will shake out and someone please correct me if Im wrong but Speciale had a slightly longer production run no? Model year 14 and 15. Pista is November of 18 to December of 19 with model years 19 and 20. IT seems to me there are more Speciale but I dont know that for a fact- just reading the tea leaves.

22. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    I'll PM you a couple leads

IPO1 likes this.
  23. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    Me to

24. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    Looking to add another pista?

25. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    It would be for my brother. He’s been itching. I’m figuring out the sf90. Price list is out but can’t tell what the af package includes.