Capristo Exhaust Bracket Rattle/Vibration | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Capristo Exhaust Bracket Rattle/Vibration

Discussion in '360/430' started by Cinque, Dec 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    Thank you Richard and Mark for the advice! I mentioned to one of the techs at my mechanic yesterday (a very solid long time independent Ferrari shop) that I wanted to remove the Capristo exhaust brackets and put back on the OEM bowspring bracket minus the 2 rigid gearbox mounts. He was genuinely concerned and said if I went this route then long term I could end up with cracked headers. Now granted he is not a 430 expert, so I tried my best to summarize the logic you mentioned.

I am going to head back over with my OEM parts and talk to the owner, but just wanted to make sure I have my ducks in a row as far as the logic with this approach. So both the 360 and the Scud did not utilize the lower rigid mounts like the 430? In addition, the bowspring on its own provides sufficient strength to hold up the exhaust system without the lower brackets? (Sounds like this has been your experience on your 430 for the last 10 years...)

If I went with my mechanics suggestion to go 100% stock and re-install the rigid mounts too, I know that can be problematic with the OEM manifolds due to their fragile nature and the rigid mounts not allowing room to expand, and thus eventually cracking at the runners. However, would this still be a concern with the Fabspeed headers I am installing since they are a much stronger stainless steel?

Thanks again for your knowledge here, it is very helpful!

2. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Don't install the lower mounts because they just don't allow for longitudinal thermal expansion in the forward system.

The rear mount is sufficient - it's extremely strong, in fact it is much stronger than the Capristo mount.

3. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    & just in case someone does want a set of as new unused gearbox mounts, I have a set for sale, please PM me

4. Davet18

Davet18 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2014
    NE Florida
    I also have a vibration, typically on deceleration and recently it has gotten worse.

My right side has a rubber disk between the cross member and the Capristo bracket, but on the left side the rubber is missing. Most pictures of the bracket show the thick washer between the nut and the bracket as shown in the pictures, but on another forum, they suggested moving the thick washer between the bracket and the crossmember.

Does anyone know the correct or the quietest arrangement, metal spacer or rubber between the crossmember and the Capristo bracket, ? The installation instruction I have found do not address the spacer or rubber disk.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    #30 Cinque, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
    It sounds like we are likely experiencing the same issue. I notice the vibration on deceleration as well, basically an annoying buzzing noise as the engine is winding down when you take your foot off the gas.

That is one of the annoying things about the Capristo brackets is they basically come with no instructions. I too found instructions on another forum that mentioned placing the washer between the bracket and the chassis so this is what I did. I also had heard from someone else on this forum to actually remove the rubber disk prior to installation and re-glue it back on with high quality superglue. The logic was that if you didn't do this the rubber disk would fall off over time with the high heat in the engine bay. So that is probably what happened with your other disk.

So for good or bad I do have the rubber disk in place as well as the "correct" placement of the washers, however I still have the buzzing issue. We even tried tightening the springs on the Capristo brackets to have the pie pans closer together but that did not change much. Like I said above, my mechanic who was a former Ferrari test driver told me me he could feel a vibration in the car right away just by gently revving the engine with the car standing still.

I am having my OEM headers replaced this week with Fabspeed headers and I am strongly considering putting the OEM exhaust bracket back on since they will already be working in the area. With what I have read on this thread I don't know if it is possible to get rid of the vibration with the Capristo brackets. Do you still have your OEM brackets? Have you considered going back to OEM?

6. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    Funny, sounds like you truly never did use your lower OEM brackets!

Just curious, what type of headers do you have on your 430?

7. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    Thanks again Mark, this is the direction I am leaning. Just to clarify, when you say the rear mount is sufficient, you are referring to the OEM upper "bowspring" by itself, correct?

Just want to make sure I give my mechanic the proper instructions...

8. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    No problem, and yes; that's right.

Cinque likes this.
  9. Davet18

Davet18 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2014
    NE Florida
    Thanks Cinque

Since it hasn't eliminated the vibration for you, I won't bother to move the washer to between the bracket and the crossmember but I will play with adding rubber between the bracket and crossmember and see what happens.

10. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Capristo

11. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    If you put a washer or spacer inside where the Capristo Brackets bolts onto the rear cross member this helps too, so there is more metal separation