Capristo Exhaust Question | FerrariChat

Capristo Exhaust Question

Discussion in '348/355' started by rockminster, Aug 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I was planning to install a Capristo Stage 2/3 exhaust in conjunction with Fabspeed hyperflows. I've just learned (and maybe this is old news) that Capristo only makes the Stage 3 now. Upon further reading I'm now understanding that Stage 2/3 and Stage 3 sound the same under WOT, with the Stage 3 being quieter when the bypass is closed? Is this correct?

Also, does anyone who's done this Cappy 3 + Fabspeed hyperflow have any thoughts to share (either pro or con)? I have stock headers.

Thx!

2. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Stage 3 is the loudest of all versions.

2/3 is specoal order. I recently bought one.

3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I believe mine was soecial order as well
    I thought the 2/3 was quieter when valves are closed

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I can't comprehend how they cannot define the models on their website. Nobody seems to understand what they offer :rolleyes:

taz355 likes this.
  5. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Smoke and mirrors.
    I am just going by memory i could be wrong.
    The distributor i bought from told me what i was getting

6. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    I bought the "sound 3" aka stage 3. It's great! I had the same confusion. I just ordered the version 3 and a couple weeks later it was on my car. I don't have your headers. I have custom ones and hyperflow cats.

To me the car itself is loud, smelly (engine and rubber smells), and raw. Why tame it. My M4 is way louder. Neighbors love me. No they do. Really. I generally go to work late with my M4. It starts up with a little roar and then idles at 11oo for a bit which isn't quiet as the valves are open on cold start.

My F355 in comparison sounds tame.

7. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Yes. They do a very poor job of what models do what for their exhaust systems offerings.

So much so that until I have a list completed of what models do what I will not buy one.
    I have asked for a breakdown twice and have never gotten it.

I think the 2/3 was the one where the bypass path was piped directly through to the tips.
    The 3 has the bypass mixed in the exhaust can.... I think.

They also stated, I think, that the 2/3 was discontinued due to a lack of proper sound at idle. But I do not know what that means.

Is the #3 exhaust can different than the 2/3? I have no answers.

Once they explain it properly, I'll buy the appropriate one, but not until that happens.

Dave rocks likes this.
  8. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I called them recently and asked about this.
    I was told a "3" is really 1/3. meaning, quiet at partial throttle and scream at full throttle.
    A "2" is actually a 2/3, meaning loud at partial throttle and same scream at full throttle.
    If you call them, they can still make all variant of there system, including the TS

ShineKen likes this.
  9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  10. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    They all sound the same with the bypass valve open. The "Sound" describes the noise level with the bypass valve closed, with 1 being the quietest and 3 being the loudest.

I suppose they can all be considered "n/3" where n is the sound level with the bypass valve closed and 3 is the sound level with it open.

I have a "Sound 1" and can control the bypass valve from the cabin. There is a noticeable step in volume when the valve opens.

DaisyCutter and Dave rocks like this.
  11. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    Information I received from a Capristo retailer in the UK when I bought one:

Which level to choose?

Now – any “stages” (1, 2, 3) of the 355 Capristo exhaust relate to the volume level of the “LOWER CHANNEL” – the volume at low revs, because all three system are the same volume at high revs. So the correct designation is X/3. Let us explain:

A 1/3 = fairly quiet at low revs but with a lovely tone, and F1 scream at high revs

A 2/3 = sporting at low revs, deeper and fuller, with an F1 scream at high revs

A 3/3 = very loud at low rev and an F1 scream at high revs.

We generally recommend either the 1/3 or the 2/3 – they are the best systems to give you the best of both worlds and take advantage of the technical layout to ensure the system isn’t too noisy at low revs. Of course a 3/3 is noisy all the time, negating the point of the dual chamber layout which is why we don’t recommend it.

12. thurman_merman

Jul 26, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I just spoke to a representative at capristo NA and he told me that the different sound numbers have different sounds with bypass open and the sound 3 is the one only one with the high pitched f1 scream. He also says that he sells the sound 3 the most by far, so much so that they don't even list sound 1 or 2 on the website anymore. They are still available for custom order though.

From reading on this forum I thought I wanted a sound 2, sport sounding at idle and screaming at full rev but speaking to capristo NA I was told that's not the way the sound 2 works. Can this be correct or did I get a guy that is misinformed?

eyboro likes this.
  13. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I have driven sound 1, 2 and 3. They all sound the same up top. The only difference between them once bypass was open was due to other changes such as straight pipe upper and lower cats or the differences between a 2.7 and 5.2.

Also the age of the muffler affect the loudness. I have driven a 1/3 that I could have sworn was a 3-3 but once removed it was stamped 1/3. It had over 30,000 Kms on it though so that would have worn out the packing some.

14. thurman_merman

Jul 26, 2017
    Austin, TX
    This is what I have heard on YouTube videos as well. Maybe I just got a rep that doesn't know. I'm going to try to talk to someone else up there and confirm.

Do you know the difference between a sound 2 and a sound 2/3? Seems like they would be the same but I think I have seen I'd plates on the mufflers marked both ways making me think they are different. I'm about to place an order and I want to get the correct one. I have read the sound 3 is too loud for a spider.

15. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    The sound 2 is a 2/3 the first number indicates the level of noise at idle and before bypass opens. The used to only sell 1-3 and 3-3 level 2-3 was a special order. Honestly the 2/3 is very tame at idle and before bypass opens, especially on a 2.7 car. They are all crazy sounding up top.

16. thurman_merman

Jul 26, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'm gonna cross my fingers and order the sound 2. Thats my best guess at the sound and volume I want for my catted 5.2 spider.

17. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    You will love it.

18. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    #18 audi_328, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    I recently installed a Sound 3 on a 95B. Talked to the Capristo rep, he told me Sound 3 was what they sold most of, that's what they kept in stock (anything else was special order) and from what I described that was what I wanted, so that's what I got. Love it. A purposeful idle, I don't find it too loud in general at all, and holy hell at red line: this is why I bought this car.

That's with stock headers and cats - Tubi headers should be here Monday and high-flow cats are in hand. Psyched to hear it when it's all together :)

But yeah when I first contacted Capristo about a "Sound 2/3" the guy had no idea what I meant.

19. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Very helpful - thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. 601

601 Karting

Dec 19, 2010
    California
    Can you characterize the sound difference between 2.7 and 5.2?

21. mikster

mikster Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    LA
    Full Name:
    SLOMO
    have a 99 with F-Speed and Cap Stage 3... stupid loud

22. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Stupid is what I remember it to be.

23. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    So in your case you basically have no difference from the bypass valve being open/closed? It doesn't sound too loud at highway speeds? Of course each person has a different opinion on sound but some say the 3/3 is 'just right' and some say 'stupid loud'.. it makes it hard to decide.. Let us know what your opinion is when you have all the exhaust parts installed!

24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    This! We need some CLEAR ANSWERS now.

25. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007