Capristo Valve Switch ..... | FerrariChat

Capristo Valve Switch .....

Discussion in '360/430' started by dias7777, Sep 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dias7777

dias7777 Karting

Jul 31, 2014
    I felt that at times the stock exhaust for the F430 could feel a bit muted so today I installed a Capristo Valve switch and ABSOLUTELY love it. Having the ability to leave the valves open all the time means that when you downshift there is no need to blip the throttle and the sound is just so much crispier (and louder). Absolutely love it and highly recommend this!! Gives the car a second personally entirely different.

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I agree, an exhaust controller is a nice to have feature on the newer Ferraris.
    Though I have previously bought many Capristo products in the past (exhaust and bypass valve for my previous 355), for this item, I went with the Forza Componenti for my 430 Scuderia..I felt the construction was superior, and my local dealer said they could not recommend the Capristo controller due to failures they had experienced.

3. Nrajabali

Nrajabali Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Ca
    Full Name:
    Nizar
    I have one for sale it's used only under 200 miles and it comes with remote

4. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1. I installed this unit on my 430 and absolutely love it. When the valves are open you can hear the "crackle" of the backfire at lower speeds. Plus Steve (Forza Componenti) stands behind his product and answers any questions you may have.

5. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Care to share, I've never known a company like Capristo for standing behind their products and replacing anything at the first sign of an issue so it sounds very odd that a dealer would say this.

6. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #6 f355spider, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    I've shared what I know. I never asked for specifics.

I could speculate if you wish: The Forza Componenti cables are completely sealed, as are the connection points of the cable to the connector. If you look at the Capristo wire loom, they use separate wires, covered with a simple plastic split loom (which allows water and dirt to enter) and no sealing where the wires join the connectors (again another entry point for water and dirt). Here in the NW USA, it can be rather damp and wet during the fall through spring. Perhaps the issue is this lack of weather tight connections? Even the controller box appears better sealed from the elements than the Capristo...at least visually.

Capristo: http://www.capristoexhaust.com/ferrari/ferrari-430/ferrari-430-coupe-spider/standard-remote-control-kit-oem-capristo-detail

FC: http://www.forzacomponenti.com/exhaust_controller_b.html

7. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  8. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    #8 bisel, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the positive reviews ...

Just to clarify ... the enclosure on the Forza controller is made from aluminum, which is used as it provides better protection and durability than using ABS plastic. IMO, the rigors of installing in the engine bay dictate the use of aluminum as the temps in the engine bay in the summer could easily exceed the point where ABS plastic will begin to soften. I felt this was important as the mid engine V8 cars can easily get to 185 deg F in the engine bay. If you read the installation caveat for Capristo's controllers, they specifically mention to install in an area where the temperature will not exceed 85 deg C. (185 deg F.) Coincidentally, that is the temperature that ABS plastic begins to soften and the melting point for ABS is 105 deg C (221 deg F)

The enclosure is not water proof. That should not be a problem as the installation point is generally dry. You mainly have to be concerned about heat. One really should not mount the controller where there is substantial moisture, but if that cannot be avoided, then the installer may have to take measures to seal the enclosure ... probably with a bit of RTV silicone sealant. In most Ferrari's I have encountered, it is an easy manner to install in a dry location. A little bit of moisture will not hurt ... but not if immersed in water.

The connection cables were manufactured using high temp resistant insulation on the cables. They are rated for up to 105 deg C ... or 221 deg F. They are also rated for high moisture and dusty conditions. The connectors are all manufactured by Tyco ... the same original connectors that Ferrari and many other manufacturers use. As you can see in the photos, they are sealed as well.

I want to thank you all for your comments. If anyone has other questions, please contact me.

Best regards,

Steve

9. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    You have misunderstood my point.

Capristo has a superb reputation for addressing customer issues without quibble and I find it strange you have a dealer who has had so many issues they won't fit the product any longer. I know of no owners who have ever had an issue with the valve controller and if there were a major issue then Capristo would surely be producing a revised product.
    I have no axe to grind here, I have Capristo and am considering the Forza version due to the option of a manual override to keep the valves shut for track day noise tests.
    As a point of interest, I have had my controller 4 years and it is the original metal cased item.

10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #10 f355spider, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    I see...you would need to take that up with the dealer then...not my concern. I simply took heed to their advice, as they have never steered me wrong. As I stated, I have used and like Capristo products in the past and like them in general. If my Scuderia ever needs replacement manifolds, I would be getting Capristo with blankets ;)

11. Knightrider

Knightrider Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    Just curious, what would a dealer charge to install one of these (unit and installation purchased from them) on a Scuderia?

12. Ferrari Nube

Ferrari Nube Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    British Columbia
    I have Capristo headers, heat blankets, mounting bracket and Twin Sound exhaust on my car. I transferred my system from another Fcar and Capristo was extremely helpful with a few questions that I had. Even though I wasn't giving them new business, Capristo still handled everything with care and timeliness. I would definitely buy their products again based on the quality of product and customer service.

Cheers
    FN

13. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    On the Scud, it should only take about an hour to install. Maybe for a first timer, 90 minutes.

Steve

14. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    Do Forza sell these units in to the UK? is so are there many satisfied customers?

15. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Yes to both questions. PM me more details.

Steve

16. chillo

chillo Karting

Mar 18, 2009
    East Yorks, England
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I ordered one a couple of months back, just need to get round to installing it! :)

17. Scudria

Scudria Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Local dealer quoted me $1100 to install this on my scud (they provide the unit)... given that the unit is $650, I find their price to be ridiculous.

18. big_guy

big_guy F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Sent you a PM

19. Nrajabali

Nrajabali Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Ca
    Full Name:
    Nizar

Replied.

20. Rosso X2

Rosso X2 Rookie

Nov 3, 2009
    California
    FWIW, I purchased and installed the Capristo remote on stock exhaust circa 3 years ago and have had no problems. Install was easy. I subsequently upgraded to Capristo Twin Sound exhaust to eliminate white powder leakage from the stock muffler as well as a mid RMP rattle from the stock setup. Similar to the remote, the Capristo exhaust itself has been great with no regrets on the decision.