car design thread | Page 220 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  2. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    I think we're seeing the after effects of the Fukushima disaster here......possibly an entire generation of Japanese car designers has become so radioactive that their computers are misbehaving........I can't think they would do this stuff intentionally.......

Either that or as a group they have the most arcane sense of humor and are just doing this to see our reactions......o_O

of2worlds likes this.
  3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Not sure what's happening lately..........let's wait till we see more cars from the Tokyo show

4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Perhaps these are the prototypes for kids pedal cars? :)

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    :eek:

Dyson is going to do a car soon, any bets on what it will look like?

slm likes this.
  6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    They already have a few that look a lot like these in Japan...They are just fine tuning the designs.. Kitchen appliance/car design workshop 101.

7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    of2worlds likes this.
  9. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Gaz or a Zil :)

11. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Both if it's ZiL design and GAZ build-quality? :p

All the best,
    Andrew.

12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Stuck in the 60's !!!
    Everybody seems to like the 275 GTB/4 as the best Ferrari design from Pininfarina! Certainly a huge accolade for that berlinetta considering their long time collaboration with Ferrari.

October 17th can't come fast enough...

13. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Several of the post war Zil's were reverse engineered Packards, then later loose copies. Not Rolls.

14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    'Quintessential'
    Perhaps but the best design GTB that can't entice buyers in sufficient numbers is doomed.
    Even it's successor and by the numbers a bigger seller the 365 GTB/4 was judged as something of a disappointment. Ferrari had still not acknowledged a fundamental problem that the competition had seized on as early as 1966. Ferrari thought that a high horsepower engine mounted behind the driver was only suitable for race cars not street cars. Something else that hurt the Ferrari company was a three year delay, after the last 275 GTB/4 build was finished for the US market. It was not until 1971 when a USA delivery 'Daytona' could be legally offered for sale.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    In 1968 Ferrari gave an exotic glimpse into the future with the P5 showcar. It would be a long five years with the old style Daytona before Ferrari offered a 12 cylinder engine mounted behind the seats in it's production series model.

crinoid likes this.
  17. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The replacement for the Daytona finally arrived as the 365 GT/4 berlinetta boxer. With the new engine placement behind the seat Ferrari had the liberty of a new design theme. Nothing would be the same after that change in design direction...

crinoid likes this.
  18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Great summary, Charles. You're correct in that Ferrari was indeed behind the times during that period. I believe my point was the 275 is considered by many as one of themes beautiful Ferraris ever, sales champ or not. It's a little bloated now that I look at it through 2017 glasses, but I remember at theme I thought is was pure sex and beauty. The boxer is one of my favorites as well, but as a 'beauty statement', i'm giving that nod to the 275. The 512 shown here. Image Unavailable, Please Login

anunakki and of2worlds like this.
  19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Purely on looks a winner but the cooking leaves something to be desired. Piero Ferrari agrees with your choice of the 275 GTB/4 as does Pininfarina to. Perhaps it is an 'age' thing.
    However I would give the nod to the mid 80's GTO which is a design that is comparatively, easier to understand and has broader appeal. Ultimately a more inclusive design. That comfort was squandered with later design efforts that simply catered to the latest fad...

20. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    After staring at the photos, it's amazing how they really took the 'heft' out of the 275 when they did the Daytona. The Daytona looks like it went on a crash diet :)
    Leaner & meaner

anunakki and of2worlds like this.
  21. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    In my opinion the 275 represents the last of the round design, probably even ran too long from an aesthetic consideration. Remember that the 275 GTB goes back to 1964 with the long nose a later minor variation. It could be argued that the Series II 250 GTO was had a more advanced design language. This is not to say that the 275 is not eternally great but it may represent the best execution at the very end of an entire theme. It also does not hurt the mystique of the 275 that their owner adore the way they drive, far more so than its successor the Daytona and the high mass of the stacked engine/transaxle of the Boxer.

jm2 and of2worlds like this.
  22. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Kinda as they did 599 to F12?

Think the flat sides and kammback thicken the 275 design - though still light/nimble at the helm vs. subsequent GT's.

jm2 and of2worlds like this.
  23. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Absolutely agree but it gets little attention as Series II with only 3 originals built plus a further 4 rebodies in the 1964 style is something of an afterthought; though done with the best of intentions. Just a one year wonder, especially with the 250LM lurking in the background.

jm2 likes this.
  24. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    The 250LM was designed first. The Series 2 GTO came about only after the LM was not homologated by the FIA.

crinoid and of2worlds like this.