car design thread | Page 302 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The Concept car that started it all!

2. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    anunakki and jm2 like this.
  3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Protouring442 and anunakki like this.
  4. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
  5. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    Yeh, I posted on this earlier in the year. Response was lukewarm.
    I like it quite a bit, but not too keen on the stainless roof loop -

Protouring442 likes this.
  6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    #7531 tritone, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    GAZ!
    Very cool.
    Is that a PhotoShop rendering?
    Many years ago, my former employer was going to send me to Russia for a spell to work on a joint venture with GAZ. The deal fell through at the last minute.
    Didn’t know what to expect :eek:
    But I did my research!

anunakki likes this.
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Tenney likes this.
  10. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
  11. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    jm2 likes this.
  12. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    jm2 likes this.
  13. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Two weeks ago, I came within about 100 yards of all this (and more) and didn't know it was there at the time. :(

The exhibit (Drive! Iconic American Cars and Motorcycles) is running thru Feb 3rd for anyone passing thru the Roanoke, VA. area. There is also an historic railroad museum about 1/2 mile away, too. Don't know if I'll be making it back before February since it is a 3 hour drive from me.

More details: https://www.roanoke.com/arts_and_entertainment/arts/the-fine-art-of-automobile-design/article_594f711c-f6b4-506a-a71a-f97292b03ec4.html

jm2 likes this.
  14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Every year the Michelin tire company sponsors a design competition down at the school where I work. I wasn't involved with this year's project, but the solutions were interesting to say the least. Sooner or later, this future is coming.
    https://cardesignnews.com/articles/design-contests/2019/01/michelin-ccs-competition-winners-announced

MICHELIN CCS COMPETITION WINNERS ANNOUNCED

The long-running Michelin Challenge Design Competition for the College for Creative Studies (CCS), now in its 30th year, has just announced this year’s winners. The lucky students received scholarships as part of a $35,000 donation from Michelin to support the school’s Transportation Design program.

Ten students from the CCS Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) program entered this year’s challenge, which centered around forecasting mobility in the year 2050 by defining a visual landscape of a thriving and sustainable global community.

“Defining the future of mobility and the impact of how new mobility systems will change the visual landscape of a thriving and sustainable community are important discussions to be having,” said Ben Ebel, chairman of the Michelin Challenge Design program. “Just as the automobiles of the 20th century were at the forefront of radical change in the creation of suburbs, interstates and landscapes of grids and parcels, how will the next generation of vehicles impact landscapes and the movement of people, goods or services?”

Using the book 50 Cars that Changed the World as a reference, CCS students were asked to create new vehicles that will operate in integrated system networks for personal or public travel across local or global landscapes for the year 2050. The most significant criteria for each of the vehicle concepts is the social impact they will introduce as described through an imagined future context where people are fully connected and society has harnessed the power of artificial intelligence safely and responsibly.

The panel of top designers who judged this year’s event were Robert Bauer, design studio manager, Nissan Design America; Brandon Faurote, head of Chrysler design, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles; and Craig Metros, design director, North American Truck, SUV and Commercial Vehicles, Ford Motor Company.

The three winning entries are showcased on the pages on the right – take a look there at the students’ sketches and accompanying videos. They’re all fascinating and well-conceived concepts with very different takes on future mobility.

The next global Michelin Challenge Design theme “Inspiring Mobility: Start With Why” is open to all and invites participants to inspire users by successfully identifying one of the following emotional needs: joy, trust, security or freedom; and designing a mobility solution that will invoke that emotion for users in one of the following megacities: Berlin, Mumbai, New York, Sao Paulo, or Shanghai, in 2035. Entrants can register now at www.michelinchallengedesign.com.

energy88 and Qvb like this.
  15. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    ^^^ Aside from the vastly improved styling, the winner reminds me of the original People Movers at DFW Airport, which were essentially a glorified slot car.

jm2 likes this.
  16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    You are correct in just the visual execution of said project. However, the design problem is so much more than that including infrastructure, etc.
    But you're right, it's the 'toaster' school of design.
    I'm currently involved with a Chinese/American company doing a vehicle for the Chinese government.
    We'll be showing the concept/prototype at the upcoming Detroit Auto Show.
    We can talk more about it then.;)

17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    New Infinity SUV Image Unavailable, Please Login

From cardesignnews.com
    https://cardesignnews.com/articles/new-cars/2019/01/infiniti-announces-qx-inspiration-concept?fbclid=IwAR02NrjO4kebH_rUN6ySMkXJLYNSodOpwuIO1x8KwFmribwcMcVFFIXx_Tg

Infiniti has released the first image and details of its electric concept SUV ahead of its world debut at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) this month. It shows an updated form language and promises “complete range confidence.”

As we have seen in concept and production EVs before now, the lack of a combustion engine to package has allowed a larger, “lounge-like” interior for the QX Inspiration, which Infiniti boasts is created “using traditional techniques” and materials “inspired by a subtle Japanese sensuality.” Ooh. They also hint at a comprehensive connectivity system for occupants, inspired by Japanese omotenashi.

Executive design director Karim Habib comments: “QX Inspiration is the beginning of a new era for Infiniti and an illustration of where we want to go with the brand. New technology has given us the opportunity to evolve our design philosophy – and the new vehicle communicates the serene strength at our core.”

While the waistline appears very high, the surfaces are essentially clean, from this front ¾ angle we can see anyway. A vestigial outline of a grille acts as a seat for the very large illuminated Infiniti logo, while two very skinny air intakes sit at the leading edge of the bonnet and fill the gap between narrow LED headlights. Larger intakes are created at the front corners in a way that resembles cutting an L-shape out of a sheet of paper and curling the separated surface inwards.

The car’s centreline is highlighted by a bisection of the black front apron, then a subtle crease above the badge and up the bonnet, while the bodyside has a subtle bone line and a tall hockey-stick light catcher to break up a very tall door. The A-pillars are fashionably blacked-out, at the base of which sit blade-like rearview camera housings.

We will get more information and images at NAIAS later this month.

18. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    How much do we think this image represents what will show up @ CES? Or perhaps I should rephrase that: How much do we think this image represents what will be available from a dealer in.....2020-21-22-23-24-25-ever?
    ooops: just realized NAIAS.......not CES. Same will show up there.......I suppose.......:cool:

19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Key word in the press release is 'concept'. With that caveat, anything is possible. The 'concept' shown may be a thinly disguised production car OR it may be the design team's wet dream of what is possible in the future. Hard to say at this point.
    I'll get to see the vehicle at the NAIAS in a week. Might have a better understanding of just how close to reality it is.
    The lack of a traditional grille on their electric car allows other opportunities. Some of us are old enough to remember when the Infinity brand was introduced in the US in the late '80's lacking a 'proper luxury car grille' like Lexus had. We've come full circle in @ 30 years.

anunakki likes this.
  20. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
  21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I'm amazed at how tall/thick the bodyside is vs. the amount of 'upper'
    we've 'progressed' to 180 degrees opposite from the late '80's where beltlines were ultra low
    one extreme to the other Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    ^^^ Wheels, too!:eek:

23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I wasn't even going to go there :eek:

Protouring442 likes this.
  24. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I remember that well. Infiniti not having a traditional grill was very bold for the time.

I dont mind the front end on this. Better than what they current have. But the ultra high beltline just doesnt seem practical. I rented a recent Camaro and felt claustrophobic inside.

jm2 likes this.