car design thread | Page 330 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #8226 jm2, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Earl did introduce the clay process to the industry. Wood models were used before clay came along. The Italians were still using plaster into the ‘60’s - ‘70’s. Automobile aerodynamics we’re developing very early on in the auto industry alongside the aero industry.

1899 ‘aero’ testing

anunakki, Texas Forever and F1tommy like this.
  2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  3. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    anunakki, Texas Forever and G. Pepper like this.
  5. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    G. Pepper and jm2 like this.
  6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I was talking about this with my old home builder buddy. (He did all our design work.) I think design in general has deteriorated. It's almost as if everybody is trying to hard. For a while there, we had a mid-50s revival across the board in design. Lately though, everything looks weird. I'm talking shoes to furniture to cars to homes. We seem to be bumping along the bottom.

tritone, jm2, JCR and 1 other person like this.
  7. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    All kinds of fields in design are in a bad place now. Of the Japanese manufacturers I only like what Mazda is doing. Their cars are attractive from the Miata to SUVs. Honda, Toyota/Lexus = WTH? I think Honda design peaked in the 1990s.

I thought home designs were bad in the 90s it has only gotten worse. Some of the neighborhoods in Houston that were built in the 50s-60s are having houses bulldozed to build larger houses with chintzier materials. What is with the crazy rooflines, too many gables, wrongly sized dormers, etc. Does anyone really think this is an improvement over a mid-century ranch?

G. Pepper, Texas Forever, jm2 and 2 others like this.
  8. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Agree wholeheartedly. Some of today's home have so much 'candy', all they are lacking is an owner in clown shoes. And.........they all look pretty much the same; I was intending to visit a few homes in the Twin Cities home show....over 600 buildings and they all looked the same.

Texas Forever and anunakki like this.
  9. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Curiously, I attribute a good deal of the problem to computers.......astonishingly quickly we can now 'design' and visualize anything, anyway we can think of, and pretty much build it that way. Excess in design rolls out as excess in build.
    Being really old(school), when I start a design I always go back to pencil & paper; it makes me slower and I think more about what comes out of the tool. Also I somehow got captured by the old Bauhaus-derived "less is more" philosophy; whether it be automotive design or architecture. I think "more is better" has somehow taken over........

stever, Texas Forever and jm2 like this.
  10. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    That is the Mother of all Spindle Grills!

G. Pepper likes this.
  11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    In the 'early' days of automotive design, several pioneering women entered the profession, that was dominated by men.
    https://www.autonews.com/article/20180331/OEM03/180409961/damsels-in-design?fbclid=IwAR3xENZwr8y94gGWOSBTtCFe7AW_CYUA1F2LD1DvKkSvHWSCQozD62YzIFA

It's a little-known slice of auto styling history: In the 1940s and 1950s, talented female designers plied their trade at American car companies, mostly lending their expertise to vehicle interiors, but also conceiving safety and ergonomic improvements.

A new book, Damsels in Design: Women Pioneers in the Automotive Industry, 1939-1959 by Constance Smith, herself a former General Motors designer, profiles the careers of 20 female designers who entered the industry between 1939 and 1959.

Only one of the 20, GM's Suzanne Vanderbilt, made a lifetime career in the industry. The rest either pursued other avenues of industry design or became artists or teachers. Some turned to full-time homemaking. It was a different era.

"Many of these women, missing from our history books, were the most accomplished artists of mid-century America," Smith writes. "With an emphasis on safety, others proposed products that continue to save lives. Their design skills touched tens of millions of car owners. The women were the early designers of child seats, latches, adjustable lumbar buckets, and head up displays — a system of displaying information, such as speed or RPMs, in the driver's line of sight instead of below on the instrument panel."

Here are 10 of the designers profiled.

Helene Rother Ackerknecht, GM's first female car designer

Helene Rother Ackerknecht
    Helene Rother Ackerknecht, born in 1908 in Leipzig, Germany, was the first woman to design cars for GM. She began her career in the U.S. in 1942 after narrowly escaping the Nazis with her husband, a prominent anti-Nazi activist.

Working with Harley Earl, GM's fabled first head of design, she contributed to vehicle interiors for all the company's brands in the 1940s. In the early 1950s, she worked with the famous Italian car designer Pinin Farina at Nash, developing interiors and textiles on such classic vehicles as the Nash Airflyte.

Audrey Moore Hodges' drawing for the iconic 1950 Studebaker Champion.

Audrey Moore Hodges
    After dropping out of art school in 1943 to take a job as a secretary in Ann Arbor, Mich., Audrey Moore Hodges met a friend who worked at Studebaker. The friend showed her work to the company's new design chief, Virgil Exner, which led to a job with the carmaker in 1944.

Hodges worked on the interior of the iconic Studebaker Champion and later designed the interior of Preston Tucker's 1948 Tucker automobile.

The cover depicts GM style legend Harley Earl with six designers.

Jeanette Linder
    A GM designer in the late 1950s, Jeanette Linder created the interior and trunk for the 1958 Chevrolet Impala Martinique concept that was part of the Feminine Show, a showcase of existing GM production vehicles styled and modified by women designers at GM.

Smith writes that Linder's "fresh textile designs set the direction for Chevrolet interiors for years to come," including a large, lighted visor vanity mirror on the Impala and a decorative trunk liner with storage slots, a fabric-covered spare tire cover with a pouch and a light in the trunk.

Ruth Glennie and the Fancy Free Corvette concept.

Ruth Glennie
    GM designer Ruth Glennie was given a Chevrolet Corvette to make over for the 1958 Feminine Show. She came up with the Fancy Free Corvette, which had four interior treatments to go with a silver olive exterior. One, with green-brushed instruments, featured white phosphorescence numbers and needles. Car historian Phil Patton celebrated Glennie's designs in Corvette Quarterly in 2008, pointing out the car was the first to "feature retractable seat belts, using a pneumatic retracting mode rather than today's familiar spring roller system."

Glennie, who later worked at Vauxhall in the U.K., also created a leather-wrapped fiberglass storage bin as well as a floor-mounted receptacle and storage between the seats.

Margaret Elizabeth Sauer
    In 1957, Margaret Elizabeth Sauer designed the Olds Ninety Eight Holiday coupe show car, called the Mona Lisa, and the Starfire convertible show car called the Chantreuse.

In the Olds Carousel wagon in 1958, Sauer proposed the first remote window and door lockout mechanism. NHTSA did not mandate the system until 2004.

Suzanne Vanderbilt
    Besides designing Chevrolet and Cadillac concept cars in the late 1950s, Suzanne Vanderbilt, during a long career with GM, came up with a child safety latch, lumbar adjustable seating, an instrument panel safety switch and child seats.

Amy Stanley Light
    The first full-time female designer in GM's styling department, Amy Stanley Light started in 1943 and worked on the Train of Tomorrow rather than cars. The train was an experimental four-car concept built to promote the sale of diesel locomotives in GM's Electro-Motive Division.

Jeanette Krebs
    Joining the GM styling department in 1955, Jeanette Krebs worked at the Chevrolet studio before moving to Pontiac and contributing to the interior of the Star Chief convertible that appeared at the 1957 Feminine Show. She later transferred to the Truck and Overseas studio. Krebs left the company in 1957 to marry GM engineer Tony Lapine, who would become Porsche's longtime head of styling.

Marjorie Ford
    Marjorie Ford and her husband, Pratt Institute classmate Charles Pohlmann, joined GM in 1957. For the Feminine Show that year, she designed the interior and trunk area of the Buick Alouette and chose the exterior colors and ornament. Her 1958 Buick Special convertible show car, called the Tampico, featured an alabaster exterior with flaming orange accents.

MaryEllen Green
    When she joined GM in 1950, MaryEllen Green was the youngest designer the company had ever hired, at age 20. Green created the pleated leather seats in the 1950 all-red Cadillac convertible. The Red Cadillac was displayed at the GM building entrance during the brand's anniversary year in 1952. She also designed the interior of the Hopalong Cassidy Cadillac, a 1950 Series 62 Convertible owned by William Boyd, who portrayed the TV cowboy. She eventually would design the seats for the 1955 Packard Caribbean.

The other designers profiled in Damsels in Design are Leota Carroll, Mary Loring, Elizabeth Thatcher Oros, Gere Kavanaugh, Sandra Longyear, Helen Pollins, Martha Jayne Van Alstyne, Virginia Van Brunt, Helen Vincent and Dagmar Arnold.

12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The Design Development Studio, where all 'newbies' did their 'basic training'. After a brief stint in this studio you were either placed in one of the design studios............or, shown the door.

anunakki and Tenney like this.
  13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    https://mcmansionhell.com
    There is also a blog on some of these architectural abominations. It's very funny.

stever and anunakki like this.
  14. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I learned of this site when I tried to figure out why all the homes in Vegas suck.

jm2 and G. Pepper like this.
  15. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    We seem to be critical of the owners of 'bad' homes(or is that just my interpretation?), and rightfully so I suppose, but someone had to design it. How does home design happen? Tools used? What %-age of home builders use architects, or have access to them? How many homes are owner 'designed'?

jm2 likes this.
  16. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    For example- this:

This photo has been on the internet forever and may even be a photoshop, but it illustrates the point of someone, somewhere being responsible for bad housing design. :eek:

jm2 and G. Pepper like this.
  17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Let me clarify my opinion. While some of those homes on that site bother my personal aesthetic sensibilities, I would never criticize someone’s choice for the architecture of their home. Where I live there are plenty of homes that i’m not particularly fond of, but hey, they make the owners happy and that’s all that should matter. Many of the ones I see locally are builder ‘spec’ houses, and eventually they sell. Others look like they had a great deal of input from the owner. Either way, if it makes the owner happy, who am I to be critical. The same holds true for the cars on this site. I wouldn’t touch some of them with a 10’ pole, but apparently, they make the owner happy.

Some of the homes I see near me look like someone wanting to make a statement about their wealth or position in life. Whatever. But I don’t have to like it. But you’re right, someone did indeed have to design it. I’m guessing the architects/builders do some of these homes because that’s what’s selling. Some of the wacky cars that are on the market today had to be designed by someone. I’m thinking the designers responsible would tell me that’s what the customers wanted. Trying to avoid being an arbiter of ‘good taste’ but sometimes unattractive is just unattractive.

Money doesn’t buy good taste, but if it makes you happy, then that’s probably enough.;)

Tenney and energy88 like this.
  18. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    1. Home design has two major components: floor plan and exterior elevation.

2. Because you're probably thinking elevation, keep in mind the floor plan comes first.

3. Builders use canine design for elevations. Think of a circle of dogs sniffing each other butts. Yeah, they're all ugly, but they're equally ugly so nobody is at risk.

4. Standard plan builders typically have in-house designers. A big part of their charge is to draw efficient plans. In my company, we started out with 25 standard plans. We got it down to four. We even had standard plans for rooms we could mix and match. This is not a bad thing. Once you design the perfect kitchen, why fool around with it? Plus, to even pretend you have a standardized system for building homes, you have to use standard plans, think Henry Ford building nothing but black Model Ts.

5. Spec "custom builders" typically go to an architect and look through their plan book and prefer to pick something they have build before.

6. True custom home builders are almost extinct. I'm talking about someone who first spends the better part of a day at the building site. What's the orientation to the sun? Are there cool site lines? Are there ugly site lines? Are we talking waterfront? Mountains? a Walmart? From there, they go on to design and build a truly unique home. Like I said, these guys are extinct.

jm2 likes this.
  19. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    True as far as it goes, but where does "taste" come from? It must be an acquired thing :cool:, so how/where was it discovered? And if "tasteless" design is still OK if it makes someone happy, why have I labored for x-teen years in the pursuit of 'tasteful' design? Surely there must be a way to define good aesthetics vs bad.....and explain it to buyers......(but then I see yet another happy new Lexus SUV owner, and think it may not be possible...)

Texas Forever and jm2 like this.
  20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm thinking as life has gotten more complicated, design has gotten more complicated. Design wise, my washing machine looks similar to my mother's old machine which is probably over 20 years old. My washing machine does just about everything automatically, but it rarely works right. My mother's old machine just washed clothes, over and over and over and over again. Imagine that.

jm2 likes this.
  21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The eternal question.

A designer should have to have an opinion and stand for something. With the designer’s professional training, it’s incumbent on the ‘expert’ to make the correct recommendations. Who decides what is good taste and what isn’t? Design judgement isn’t a science. No right and wrong answers. A house is a one-off made for a specific customer (unless it’s a spec house) dwelling. Unlike mass produced designs that must appeal to a large market. Every time I see one of those Lexus SUV front ends I cringe. But evidently Lexus senior management are convinced that this is what the Lexus customer wants. What do I know? As a designer or architect, a decision must be made to provide professional guidance. If the client ain’t buying the recommendations, then we’re left to the whim and possible bad taste of said customer.

There’s only one rule: there aren’t any rules

Texas Forever likes this.
  22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  23. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Is architecture a dead science? Do architectects only work on urban structures? Office buildings, statement highrises of various uses? Is 'design' dead?

jm2 likes this.