car design thread | Page 338 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    The uniform of individuality, and not a scarf among them!

of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Tenney and of2worlds like this.
  3. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    I also have two pairs of jeans. One pair is relatively new and still intact, the other pair is about 10 years old and has tears in the knees.
    I wear that pair when I want to appear hip...

jm2 and Qvb like this.
  4. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Tenney and jm2 like this.
  5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Recently bought my 1st cowboy hat.
    Really!
    Can’t afford not to be trendy!

6. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I've got a brown leather "outback" style hat that I particularly like wearing in the rain. :)

My wife made me stop wearing a trilby hat everywhere. She didn't like the one I had (I thought it was excellent, and only ~$5 too) and pricier ones weren't really on the cards at the time. I think a black leather trilby would look good... hmmm... here's one...

Sizing is important though. :oops:

All the best,
    Andrew.

jm2 likes this.
  7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Well now we’ve really gotten off track.

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  9. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Its become crushingly expensive without doing anything to increase sales.

Same thing is happening to the big pop culture cons like San Diego Comic Con. Big companies are pulling out or dramatically downsizing.

energy88 and jm2 like this.
  11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    it's a new world
    The internet killed much of the new vehicle launch experience. Companies get much more bang for the $ when they have singular dedicated launch events rather than Auto Show reveals. C8 Corvette? Ferrari SF90? It's the new way of doing things rather than getting lost in a multitude of Press Conferences. Most of which get 'leaked' anyway.

of2worlds, energy88 and anunakki like this.
  12. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Yay internet :cough cough:

13. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    Let's face it, the industry has changed massively in the last 40 years.
    There have always been "spy" photos -

I think the bigger impact has come from the lack of (major) yearly model change. Annual "new model year" changes used to be much more extensive.
    Compare '66,'67,'68, &'69 Mustangs; 3 completely different body designs.
    Track the full size Chev; significant differences for every year from '55 - '70.
    It was much the same for most popular models (except VW of course!); there was always something new to see!

14. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Exactly! Now it is a "face lift" every 3 years and a new platform about every 6 years.

15. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    would be interested to hear opinions from the design experts in this thread about the new SF90.
    to me it looks bloody awful.
    but what do i know.....

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I'll add my $.02 here for whatever it's worth.
    Ross, I read your posts in the SF90 Threads and understand that you don't like the car. That's fine, you know what you like as much as the next person and I respect that.
    I really need to see the car 'in the tin' as it were before making any kind of definitive statements about the design.

But having said that, here's my take on the topic. I generally have two criteria by which I judge designs.
    1. Does it 'look new'?
    2. Does it look like the brand, in this case a Ferrari?
    Then you can add 'judgement' & 'execution'. Did they use the right judgement in deciding WHAT to do? And did they EXECUTE the design correctly?

For me it is positive on both counts.

I've read all the comments since last Thursday. Camaro this, looks like 'something else' that. From individuals whose judgement I respect. All this talk about whoa is us, Pininfarina should be called back, etc. The in-house team doesn't 'have it'. Whatever.
    Like art and beauty, the results are in the eye of the beholder. My take on the photos is the Ferrari Design Team are softening up the design vocabulary somewhat, and are infusing the designs with what I would refer to as 'beauty'. An attribute missing from much of today's vehicle designs. The SF90 is NOT revolutionary, but evolutionary. Designers are cursed with the 'I would have done it differently' syndrome. My take on the SF90 is I like it. But that's just me. Would I have traded my 458 or my 488 on one? Yes.

I'm old enough to remember when the Boxer debuted. Everyone thought the design was too conservative. The Countach was out, and it looked like a Saturn 5 missile. So then Ferrari/Pininfarina overcorrected IMO, and brought out the Testarossa, strakes and all. We can argue that strategy, but I thought they walked away from what I considered was beauty. All due respect to TestaRossa owners, but that design hasn't endured the test of time for me personally. They're cool cars, but design wise, not for me.

I'm surprised at the negative reaction to the SF90. I believe when one sees the car in traffic, driving around in the environment, it may resonate more than the initial reactions from the photos. The design team walks a fine line when trying to achieve the correct balance between 'reach vs. appeal.' Universal appeal probably means too conservative a design. Too much reach, probably a goofy/controversial execution.

So I'll go back up there in the SF90 threads and continue to read the negative comments about the design. I'd take one in a heartbeat.

Tenney, ross, perrinnation and 5 others like this.
  17. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
  18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    anunakki and energy88 like this.
  19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    People complain about changes from the good old days when Pininfarina was King and how new designs are lacking. However I would suggest that the Stradale actually is in the spirit of late 1960's Pininfarina dream cars with their 'out there' designs but that you could not actually buy. The dream cars Pininfarina created were real; you could literally touch them if you got within reach but you could not buy them.
    Ferrari has created a dream car in both design and performance that seems from another world but now is actually attainable. The criticisms matter not for customers who are getting in line to buy what for them is their Stradale dream car. Ferrari is more than happy to make those dreams come true for the fortunate few.

Tenney, ross, anunakki and 1 other person like this.
  20. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I do think the tailights are a bit too small and feel unbalanced. And while I would prefer round the shape doesnt really bother me and if I had the cash that wouldnt stop me from buying this car. Heck I bought a California and I thought the rear end was hideous.

As for the 'hatchback' I like what they did better than a big glass panel. Its certainly busy and not what I would have done, but I dont think its so off-putting I wouldnt buy the car because of it

Hell, the truth is, if I were a Ferrari designer everythings rear would look like a marriage of the 355 and 360. I just think they are perfect.

21. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
  22. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    It will be so rare (only 150 will be built), but beautiful ...

[soundtrack: Nora En Pure - Come with me]

of2worlds, colombo2cam and jm2 like this.
  23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  24. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Reminds me a bit of the F-40, but with the pop-ups being kept under glass. Appears that the designers were trying to minimalize the body real estate dedicated to headlights.

of2worlds likes this.