car design thread | Page 350 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
  2. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  3. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    From Hemmings
    https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/07/31/styling-the-future-exhibit-brings-gm-concept-cars-to-the-audrain-automobile-museum/?refer=news

DREAM CARS, SHOW CARS AND PROTOTYPES
    “Styling the Future” exhibit brings GM concept cars to the Audrain Automobile Museum
    Kurt Ernst on at 8:58 am
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    SHARE Styling the Future: A History of GM Design and Concept Cars, a new exhibit debuting at the Audrain on Friday, August 2, features a gathering of iconic show cars on loan from the GM Heritage Center in Sterling Heights, Michigan and the Lingenfelter Collection in Brighton, Michigan.

Curated by historian and author Donald Osborne, Styling the Future features a dozen of GM’s most influential concepts, a quantity that the Audrain claims has never before been shown together in a curated museum setting. The 1938 Buick Y-Job–widely considered to be the first concept car–will be on hand, but so will the 2003 Cadillac Sixteen concept, displayed alongside a 1931 Cadillac Fleetwood V-16, the automobile that served as its inspiration.

1951 Le Sabre concept.

Other vehicles in the exhibit include the jet-fighter-inspired 1951 Le Sabre concept, which boasted technology like a rain sensor to close its top, heated seats, and a lightweight magnesium body over a honeycomb aluminum floorpan; the 1953 Cadillac Le Mans, with its power-operated memory seats; the 1958 Firebird III, which previewed styling traits (such as the lower quarter panel fins that appeared on the ’61 Cadillac); and the rocket-themed 1959 Cadillac Cyclone, which showcased proximity sensors for accident avoidance and sported automatic sliding doors.

[​IMG]

1973 Chevrolet Aerovette.

Corvette concepts are well represented in the exhibit, too. Planned displays include the 1954 Chevrolet Corvette Test Mule EX-87, the first research-only Corvette to be powered by a V-8 engine; the 1954 Chevrolet Corvair concept, which envisioned what a first-generation Corvette coupe might have looked like but was doomed by slow sales of the original Corvette; the 1961 Mako Shark concept, designed by Larry Shinoda, which helped to influence the styling of the 1963 Corvette Sting Ray; and the 1973 Chevrolet Aerovette, a mid-engine concept that was supposed to be powered by a four-rotor Wankel engine and boasted digital instrumentation a decade before this hit production.

1990 GM Impact Experimental.

Perhaps the most controversial vehicle in the display is the 1990 Impact Experimental, a battery-powered car that foretold a future where electric vehicle sales would be mandated and not merely subsidized. Sculpted in a wind tunnel for a low drag coefficient, the Impact Experimental would later be produced, in slightly updated form, as the GM EV1 electric car from 1996-’99.

Leased only to residents of Los Angeles, Phoenix and Tucson, the EV1 was meant to test the demand for electric cars among consumers, as well as the complexities and potential profitability of building such vehicles. At the end of the program, the 1,117 EV1s produced were recalled with no provision for private ownership, and the vast majority were destroyed (to the suspicion of conspiracy theorists everywhere). Excluding the series hybrid Chevrolet Volt, it would take GM another 13 years to release its next battery electric vehicle, the 2012 Spark EV.

Styling the Future: A History of GM Design & Concept Cars will run through November 11, 2019. For additional details, visit AudrainAutoMuseum.org.

of2worlds, anunakki and energy88 like this.
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Not at all.
    Tom has been the 'face' of the C8 from the beginning. He's being inducted into the Corvette Hall of Fame later this month.
    Kirk was also there from the very beginning.
    These things can be awkward when the original participants retire and the new guy had nothing to do with the car. Not so in this case.

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john

The 4 Rotor still looks good 40 yrs later!

G. Pepper, of2worlds, 330 4HL and 3 others like this.
  6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  8. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Had my first chance to see the new Corvette "in the flesh" recently. I have to say: pictures really don't do it justice. The design "works" even better in person.

What has impressed me most, though, is the number of non-car people who are intrigued and attracted to it.

9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Not awful or wonderfully unique. Just kind of meh. Not meaning to be a jerk, but we are all adults and shouldnt be required to sugar coat anything.

VigorousZX and jm2 like this.
  10. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Absolutely agree. The straight on side view while still good misses just how much 3 dimension form work the car has. Sheer design that was far from being folded paper.

11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    of2worlds, Boomhauer, rmnunez and 2 others like this.
  12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Anthony, Andy is a Cleveland Grad. Did he ever teach your classes?

13. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Slightly off topic: has anyone checked out the new Volvo V60 wagon? Not the lifted crossover version, but the proper wagon / estate.

I saw one today in dark blue (denim) metallic. It is a lovely, sleek cohesive design.

I am likely not the only one who has been “sleeping on” the new Volvos. Their midsize cars look fantastic

14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Agree, they look great. I cross shopped them before I got my Alfa Stelvio.

15. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Excellent choice.... pretty peppy SUV...

And good looking, IMO...

16. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Talk about a question with no wrong answers! Great choices, both!

17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #8742 jm2, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  18. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    At the time and to this day, that was the Corvette I really wanted -
    Soft curves, and shape lines in equal measure; really sophisticated design.

BTW, didn't realize that the brown "reference" car you shot me last week was yours!

technom3 and jm2 like this.
  19. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
  20. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    jm2 likes this.
  21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  22. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    They are the same, probably the photo angle.

23. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Don't know if this has been posted earlier, but this just came to my attention in an email.

This is the Lexus LF-1 Limitless concept vehicle. It reminds me a little bit of the old Toyota Venza.

What is interesting is the "open" top. In reality, there is a flat black backbone running down the middle. Wonder how this design would do in roof crush tests? Also of note is the tiny equilateral triangle in the C pillar. Doesn't look like it is more than 1" in size. This has to be the smallest window ever mounted in a vehicle. I'll spare you the spindle grill- they're all starting to look alike now.

jm2 likes this.
  24. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Glad the ‘spindle grill’ is missing.