car design thread | Page 443 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Watching it now. Great looking design.

330 4HL and Boomhauer like this.
  2. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
  3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Mr. Manzoni, explains the Portofino M design.

4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john

330 4HL likes this.
  5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

BMW iNEXT, THE DESIGN GALLERY
    Home/NEWS/BMW iNEXT, THE DESIGN GALLERY

of2worlds likes this.
  6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Anybody see this.... I think the C8's main problem is the nose. And they don't have an excuse since the Euro engine protection rule is not required on a mid engine. I first realized how high it was when taking photos of the C8R at Road America.

of2worlds and colombo2cam like this.
  7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't see anything wrong with the nose. Looks good to me. How high is "too high?"

8. arhimede

arhimede Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    I want to share my work with you. It was an old sketch, but I saw Frank Stephenson drawing an F40 remake and I updated the sketch. Hope you like my vision of this car. maybe an SP car? :)

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Here is the C6R, C7R and C8R noses. Its the height of the front openings and the way the are so high up to the edge that are not as attractive as the earlier cars IMO. Maybe they will get rid of the ugly nose and those ugly side scoops on the C9 redesign. We are so used to horrid big grills and noses we are getting numb to the fact they are ugly.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Agree the C9 front is not good. Side scoops also.

ingegnere likes this.
  11. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    A thousands times better than Stephenson’s

12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    From cardesignnews.com

DESIGNERS
    Car Design Review 7: Karim Habib, Kia
    10 November 2020

Kia’s Karim Habibi explains how the brand is also being rethought in tandem with new design and technology

I’ve been at Kia since October 2019 so I’m still discovering how the company works and getting to know the team. Kia has been doing very well, in sales and design. What Peter Schreyer and Luc Donckerwolke built up is strong so I arrived in a fortunate situation. I think the Telluride winning 2020’s World Car of the Year is a first for any Korean company so it shows Kia can build very good cars. The next step is building the brand and getting ready for the electric vehicle and autonomous era. For Kia, the strategic shift of the company has been made public and is quite aggressive in terms of EVs. Within the Hyundai Group, Kia will be leading in that sense.

Kia Futuron EV concept

Kia is smaller than the Hyundai brand and its character is a little more defined. At a pragmatic day-to-day design level, we have to make sure we don’t step on each other’s territory. Sometimes it’s easier than at other times, obviously, a lot of the engineering has similarities. But actually you’d be surprised at how many technical ways there are to differentiate. Maybe because Hyundai has a wider customer base – they sell about a million more cars a year than we do – they have to cover more bases. We can focus more. Of course, the Telluride [large SUV] in the US or the Rio [supermini] in Europe are very different characters, but we want to keep more of a family resemblance. I’ve never worked for a big manufacturer like Kia before. What really attracted me was its ambition. Kia’s an underdog brand but has incredible ‘means’, from its manufacturing, to its depth and incredible speed.

Kia Soul EV

The different Hyundai companies are extremely strong. Executive vice-chairman Eui-sun Chung is very progressive in his thinking and meeting him was super-motivating. He’s definitely empowering for design. But with freedom comes responsibility so it puts a strategic weight on design. That’s part of the interesting challenge. The brand is also being completely rethought which is pretty awesome to be doing at the same time as new design and technology. Basically all three are coming together. With every brand going towards EVs how do you still make that transition relevant and differentiate? That’s going to be tough but we want to do it technologically. Design-wise, we’ve talked about it before but there’s a huge opportunity to really redesign the interior space which we need to take advantage of. Even the way we design seats, I feel we need more innovation in how you sit and move around in the car.

Jochen Paesen, recently appointed Kia interior design vice-president, brings knowledge from developing BMW’s i cars, which were really advanced when they launched. But also his experience at Nio is something I found very interesting because he helped build a brand there from scratch. The big difference with Kia compared to the premium brands I’ve worked with before is price. Kia is more for normal people. But there are a lot of brands in that market, so it requires design to have more of a ‘pull’ function. These customers might not have as much money as those who buy BMWs and Mercedes and so on, but they are still interested in technology and practicality. How do you provide something that just makes life simpler?

2019 Kia Imagine concept

Outside of the car industry, I think Muji is a good example. It’s inclusive, affordable and for everyone, but still very well curated. The concept of the automobile has to become ultramodern otherwise I don’t think it will work. We will see after the current coronavirus crisis, how the whole situation changes. We’ve been questioning individual mobility for years. But after this, will it come back?

As the question of health, hygiene and cleanliness – besides personal space – starts to be more important does that mean everybody will go back to their own cars? What kind of cars will we want? Ones that have a super-hard shell to protect us from an evil world, or smaller cars that are more respecting of the environment? At a working level, we are using more virtual reality (VR) instead of travelling so much. Software now allows us to walk round a design model in another studio on another continent. We need to do more of that and already do a lot of simple video conferencing and phone calls. We can talk to Tom Kearns (US studio) in the morning and Gregory Guillaume (Europe studio) in the evening and keep the loop going. I’ve visited the European studio in person but have not met the team in the US or China yet (run by Oleg Son). That’s something I’m missing. You can do a lot in VR, but getting to know the people face-to-face every once in a while remains very important.

Kia Telluride crossover SUV

I think the concept of working in studios and physically being there every day is going to change. It will be empowering for designers as we’ll be able to sketch from home but we’re going to have to build networks with firewalls and so on that are less dependent on the physical space you’re in. Maybe the silver lining could be more freedom for all professions. We’ll try to strengthen the global team with who we have and hire ambitious designers who want to do things a little differently. We’re a brand with a short history, so we don’t have these big cars people dreamt of in their childhood. That allows us to focus on creating a dream car in the future, not recreate or be inspired by one. It’s a big challenge, but also an opportunity.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Very nice. Well done.

14. VigorousZX

VigorousZX Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2011
    Crowd fund $40,000, 5 judges, and hold the best modern F40 remake contest... it would be inspirational and historical to future car design.

of2worlds likes this.
  15. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    of2worlds likes this.
  16. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Actually chalk pastel and marker.

jm2 likes this.
  17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I'm going to differ on this one.
    Full disclosure here, I believe the original DS is one of the 10 best automobile designs. Ever. Just received this book, and it reinforces my opinion IMO.
    So the renderings of the 'new' DS by Jean Louis Bui really grabbed my attention. Several of you are critical of the design renderings. It is a very difficult assignment to 're-do' a classic. History has shown that updates, retro, re-dos, homage etc. usually fall flat. However in this case, I happen to think the design looks great. For whatever it's worth, I think it's on the money. We can argue the details, but I think it's pretty cool. It looks like a Citroen. It looks French. It looks fresh and new.
    And just to be clear, I am NOT a fan of Retro Design. I believer the Ferrari Roma nailed it as well. Honoring one's past without pandering to it. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

pilotoCS, Boomhauer, tritone and 2 others like this.
  18. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    I like this DS revival as well, but the SM I was commenting on is just a clunker...

JCR, boxerman, Qvb and 1 other person like this.
  19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  20. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I think new DS has some areas that are quite nice but other areas they just tried too hard. The nose seems to be cobbled together. I don't get the deep cut in the lower body side; maybe there is a real airflow purpose for it but it isn't apparent. The tail is really interesting but not feeling it is well integrated into the rest of the design. Maybe this needed some more time in the studio to gestate.

21. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Yeah, the SM is the one that is off the mark. It's heavy and heavy handed. The SM is so elegant and light. The DS is much better.