car design thread | Page 485 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ModernLou

ModernLou Karting

Dec 20, 2017
    Full Name:
    Lou Zucaro
    Somebody needs to tell Mr. Sketchmonkey what "horizontal" and "vertical" mean...

330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    So many things can and will go wrong with all electrified(unless it has another energy source and is a hybrid). We will all be long dead before it happens completely. Plus now that Government Motors is onboard you know it will be a fail :)

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I like that much more. The roof actually looks intentional and the body lines are much more elegant.

All the best,
    Andrew.

energy88 likes this.
  4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Definitely better: Like the old saying goes, "the first horse to the trough gets the biggest gulp."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ModernLou, jm2 and NeuroBeaker like this.
  5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Well, it's time we had a talk about the state of 'front end design' today.
    In the words of Vince Lombardi , "What the hell is going on out there?"

Is it just me, or have things taken a turn for the worse? It struck me this morning at Cars & Coffee that it's come to this. Seriously.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Are they trying too hard?
    Difference just for the sake of difference?
    Help me out here....

6. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    BMW is in a front end fever dream. Just horrid.

tritone and jm2 like this.
  7. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I say OEMs should consider delivering front ends as a blank canvas and give the owner a DYI decorating opportunity, or let The Sketchmonkey create a commissioned design.

330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Well somebody bought it. Maybe we live in a world full of people with incredibly bad taste. Look at the newer pickup truck and big SUV front ends.

tritone, ModernLou and jm2 like this.
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Now THERE'S an idea!

Kids, don't try this at home.

330 4HL likes this.
  10. VigorousZX

VigorousZX Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2011
    Colonial monopoly, oppressed citizenry... does it still cost a billion dollars for an independent car company to create their own headlights?
    View attachment 3150195

Attached Files:

jm2 likes this.
  11. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    ....and you didn't even post up any Lexus or Infinity front ends.....(thank you for that........)

jm2 likes this.
  12. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry

This amateurish, ham fisted, exaggerate-everything style is everywhere these days. I cringe when i look at the superhero costumes in movies today. Theres no such thing as subtlety left...

tomc, HotShoe, tritone and 1 other person like this.
  13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    anunakki likes this.
  14. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
  15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    anunakki and VigorousZX like this.
  16. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Mercedes make limos that look like vans. I could actually see Cadillac doing likewise if they thought celebrities would buy them.

All the best,
    Andrew.

jm2 likes this.
  17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Yes!
    Party wagons!

energy88 likes this.
  18. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    On the lake, the marine version is known as a pontoon boat. Lash several together and go boat-to-boat partying.

jm2 likes this.
  19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Google ‘Jobbie Nooner Michigan’ :eek:

20. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    That's a great question! One I ask myself daily.

Maybe part of the reason is that cars have gotten so massively proportioned that what was once a lean front surface is now a giant, plywood sized expanse. The designers try to "lighten" it up with graphic elements that have worked in the past because they were proportionately smaller. The BMW kidney beans is a good example. Just look at at an older 3 series parked next to today's version. The newer Camaro is massive in size compared to a '69.

Perhaps another reason is that most younger designers are from the Michael Bay Transformer generation. They grew up with appliances and products that used graphic elements to distract and wow on the big screen. Form surfacing isn't part of their design vocabulary because everything they know is gratuitous. Subtlety doesn't get eyeballs in their ADD world.

One last thing I noticed is that most of today's designers use either a tablet or a pen. Very few sketch with pencils. IMO tablets and pens are conducive to defining linear elements whereas pencils are used to define forms. If I were to try and sketch an undulating Jag body with a pen it would be much more difficult than a pencil. I was taught to use the side of the pencil to define form and then go back with the tip to define the lines. Most of these front ends look like the were all done in pen. They probably look good on paper or in PS but once you go full scale it becomes a caricature.

21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I agree with what you said.
    The current generation of designers grew up with a different set of icons and influences. It's not their fault. :eek:
    As you and Jerry point out, subtlety is not part of their design vocabulary.
    Complexity is an integral part of the current design philosophy. Like it or not.
    HOWEVER, looking at the recent boat-tail Rolls and Ferrari Roma, there are still areas where traditional beauty/form/subtlety are virtues.
    Us oldsters just have to accept reality, like it or not.

anunakki, 330 4HL and energy88 like this.
  22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Chevy Shares Design Sketches For 2021 Corvette Indy 500 Pace Car

Chevy has released the original sketches that helped guide the automaker as it designed the 2021 CorvetteConvertible Indy 500 pace car.

These design sketches were originally penned by Chevrolet designer Adam Barry, who was also responsible for designing the Chevy Camaro Shock and Steel Edition, which was introduced for the 2020 model year.

Barry’s 2021 Corvette Convertible pace car design has Arctic White paint, a Sky Cool Gray/Strike Yellow interior and Indy 500-branded decals on the doors. Barry also designed unique safety strobe light housings for the vehicle, which are integrated into the Corvette Convertible’s roof nacelles and provide a “custom touch with full functionality,” the automaker says. Other notable touches include a Stingray silhouette sketch on the side ground effects elements and various Strike Yellow painted exterior accents and components. Additionally, the 2021 Corvette Convertible Indy 500 pace car is the only C8 Corvette model to feature the Corvette crossed flags on the rear decklid, which sits in place of the Stingray badge on the production model.

The 2021 Corvette Convertible Indy 500 pace car was piloted by IndyCar race winner and former NASCAR driver Danica Patrick. The 39-year-old did double duty at this year’s Indy 500, also serving as a studio analyst for NBC’s live coverage of the 500-mile race, joining host Mike Tirico and fellow analyst Jimmie Johnson in the booth. Patrick, a native of Roscoe, Illinois, also holds the record for the most Indy 500 laps led for a female driver at 29. Her last Indy 500 start came in 2018 in Ed Carpenter Racing-prepared Chevy equipment and unfortunately ended with her crashing out of the race on Lap 68.

The 2021 Indy 500 was won by Meyer Shank Racing’s Helio Castroneves, who beat Chip Ganassi Racing’s Alex Palou in a thrilling late-race battle to take his fourth win at the legendary 2.5-mile oval.

23. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Here is one design language that is likely not to be ****** up by the adolescents for us oldsters.

jm2 likes this.
  24. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Giv'em a chance. They'll try.;)

energy88 likes this.
  25. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    But, the Design senior managers are not the kids. Have they all left the building? Or, are they using clinics set up to justify the crap?

One thought I would put forward is that the vast majority of regular cars are using very close to the same size/packaging that there is a struggle to design something that is distinctive from their competitors. Unfortunately the quest for "distinctive" is taking them down a path of weird for the sole sake of being different.