car design thread | Page 511 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    And has much better proportions

330 4HL likes this.
  2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I pointed out the lower brltlines to my judging partner. We agreed, things have certainly changed.

330 4HL likes this.
  3. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Love me some Monteverde!
    jm2; any chance you have some shots of the Ghia-bodied blue Chrysler in the far background?

330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Sorry I don’t, but I’ll look to see if one of my peeps shot that car.

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

330 4HL and tritone like this.
  6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  8. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Kinda 400i?

jm2 likes this.
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    randkin, F1tommy, Tenney and 2 others like this.
  10. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew

Specifically, it's the Vector W8. I really wanted one of these when I was a kid.

Vector made more W8s than any other model, but they delivered less than 20 customer cars and made less than 25 of them in total. The cars they did deliver were unreliable as they were sent out largely before development had been finished. Andre Agassi had one delivered under the condition that he refrain from driving it until Vector had finished developing exhaust shielding, but he drove it anyway and scorched some of the interior with the heat transfer - he returned the car for a refund. Furthermore, Vector sent 3 press cars out to generate publicity and sales, but all three broke down for different reasons and the magazine at the time (can't remember which one) was unable to review the driving characteristics much beyond stating that the cars weren't yet ready. The company was around for less than 5 years and the designer/founder/CEO, Gerald Wiegert (where the W comes from in W8), was fired during a hostile takeover - after which he successfully sued to retain copyright to the designs to the W8's successor, ensuring the company would collapse without him.

The W8 looked pretty quirky (1980s futuristic aesthetics made in the 1990s) and the dashboard resembled a 1990s fighter jet cockpit for all the buttons and screens. I would think that if an enthusiast sorted some of the car's engineering/quality issues by continuing the development with a few discreet reliability upgrades, it'd be a very cool car to drive - at least, I imagine so. :)

All in all, the tale of Vector is a bit of a sad one. Cool car vision that was never quite realized due to poor business planning. Wiegert didn't even get to keep any of the cars he made, prototype or production vehicle. The big "what if" is that if better managed from a business perspective it could have been a great niche manufacturer using a big engine, light chassis, wedge aero, and techy interiors... it'd have been great to have seen Vector succeed.

All the best,
    Andrew.

Schultz, Tenney, Qvb and 1 other person like this.
  11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Excellent and informative, Andrew.
    Mr. Wiegert was quite a character. I thought his car was very cool. But he never was able to do the proper development of his ideas/concept. A shame.

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    randkin, 330 4HL, F1tommy and 7 others like this.
  13. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  14. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    @Vector W8 That's his car.

jm2 and NeuroBeaker like this.
  15. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Wow, FChat has the most interesting people on it. :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Dolcevita and Qvb like this.
  18. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    You've got to give them props for working on those xenon high intensity discharge headlamps waaay early!

jm2 likes this.
  19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Putting the design into it's proper context, that car was way ahead of it's time. Thinking of the cars on the road at that time, this thing was a Saturn V missile.
    The chrome headlamp bezels however.........
    Still very cool!

20. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    That was supposed to be belt line but spell check got me!

21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    And I was thinking more along the lines of the Belmont Stakes....
    The Belmont Stakes is an American Grade I stakes race for three-year-old Thoroughbreds run at Belmont Park in Elmont, New York. Colts and geldings carry a weight of 126 pounds; fillies carry 121 pounds.

330 4HL and energy88 like this.
  22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    And whaddaya think of this design for the Purosangue?
    https://hottiresblogg.blogspot.com/2021/09/why-ferrari-needs-to-make-suv-now-and.html?fbclid=IwAR1F8jzH-Pjd8tKb7lz9UpQc9C3am4mkM4dmiGzgtCIgSk8W9ody2ntuydU

Why Ferrari Needs To Make An SUV Now (And The Reason Enthusiasts Oppose It)

The Ferrari Purosangue looks poised to take on the high-performance Lamborghini Urus in the years to come.

All top luxury and supercar brands are shifting focus from small high-performance cars to SUVs—apart from Ferrari. Lamborghini, Porsche, Aston Martin, and Bentley are all currently producing SUVs. The high-performance SUV market is hot. Is Ferrari jumping on that train? Well, Mat Watson of Carwow uploaded a YouTube video of what they think the new Ferrari SUV could look like.

“In this video, I’ll tell you why Ferrari has to start building an SUV now. And I will show you exclusive renderings of what this new car could look like,” Watson said.

The world is shifting to green energy, and with it, the automotive industry. In the future, motor enthusiasts will have to give up their thunderous big engines for silent electric options. The change to green has slowly begun, and thankfully, Ferrari is prepared and is already developing amazing hybrid supercars like the SF90 Stradale looking more and more like a change Ferrari fans will have to accept.

Ferrari Need An SUV To Compete In The Current Car Market
    Ferrari is famous for one thing: They build super-fast cars, and their success list is endless, from the Ferrari Enzo, LaFerrari, and the 812 Superfast among other iconic models.

“Cars with naturally aspirated V12 engines will never pass strict emissions tests in the future. Now Ferrari knows this, which is why it’s put a load of effort and a load of cash into developing some new hybrid supercars, and there could be a new hybrid SUV on the horizon too,” Watson said.

Lamborghini just like Ferrari made its name out of building bonkers mid-engine monsters. Currently, its most popular car is the Lamborghini Urus SUV. In 2020, Lamborghini sold more than 7,000 units, over 4,000 of which were Lamborghini Urus models.

“Ferrari doesn’t really have a choice. If it wants to compete with these brands, then it has to make an SUV of some kind. But what would a Ferrari SUV look like?” Watson said.

According to Carwow, Ferrari is already testing a prototype. And even though the prototype SUV doesn’t have any Ferrari parts yet, when done, it will carry the tag name Ferrari Purosangue.

“It could take inspiration from the latest Ferrari Roma, or the all-new 296 GTB. So, I reckon it’ll look simpler and less angular than a Lamborghini Urus. But it will still be even more imposing than most modern Ferraris,” Watson revealed.

Ferrari Has Four Engine Options For New SUV Variant
    So, what kind of engine would the Ferrari SUV have to compete in the market? Carwow speculates the automaker could go with four options. The first option would use the 6.5-liter V12 engine from an 812 Superfast to make 800 hp. What’s best, Ferrari already has a four-wheel-drive system to go with this option.

Ferrari could also use the 3.9-liter twin-turbo engine from the Roma making 620 hp. They could also fit it with a hybrid system and electric motors from the new 296 GTB. But there’s a problem using the engines from the Roma or the GTB is they are rear-wheel drive, and will need a new four-wheel-drive system re-design.

Lastly, Carwow, thinks Ferrari could get some parts from the SF90 that comes with a 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8, and three electric motors, all making 1,000 hp.

New Ferrari Purosangue SUV design

These exclusive renders of the Ferrari Purosangue give you a look at how the production car may turn out.

Upfront, you’ll spot thin headlights with daytime running lights cutting through in a similar fashion to those on the Ferrari Roma, and flanking a trapezoidal grille.
    Dramatic curves are set into the bonnet, with the roofline of the Purosangue taking on a sleek approach rather than falling into a boxy rear end.

The rear of the car gets a large black panel with the prancing horse logo taking centre stage, and thin LED rear lights similar to the Ferrari 296 GTB.

Ferrari Purosangue Interrior
    In the front, you can expect the Purosangue to be crammed with leather, brushed metal and carbon-fibre trims, as well as a new version of Ferrari’s infotainment system.

The new Ferrari Purosangue is expected to be the first modern Ferrari to come with five seats, although it’s likely you’ll be able to get a set of two individual rear seats if you’d prefer – like those on the GTC4 Lusso.

Ferrari Purosangue SUV price and release date

Ferrari’s first SUV isn’t expected to make its public debut until 2022. It’s possible that it could go on sale later that year, although (as with most Ferraris) you can bet that plenty of wealthy petrolheads have already posted blank cheques to the Ferrari factory to make sure their names are first on the list for this new SUV.

If you’d rather wait for this new car to appear in showrooms, get ready to hand over at least £200,000 to park one on your driveway.

So what do you think about the new Ferrari? Are you a fan of it?

23. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner