car design thread | Page 514 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    For some reason, I feel like I've got an itch to scratch for a big classic American car with a plush sofa-like leather interior. It just looks like a comfortable place to be. A Chrysler Fifth Avenue would do it, although Lincoln and Cadillac also had some pretty cool looking options from those eras.

All the best,
    Andrew.

anunakki and jm2 like this.
  2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

rmnunez and NeuroBeaker like this.
  3. Schultz

Schultz Karting

Mar 9, 2014
    Midwest
    The Voison photo isn't in black & white if you look closely. Here's a video on that very car, the timestamp starts on the interior portion. The ashtrays at each door are an neat touch!

And here's an short Petrolicious article on them

https://petrolicious.com/articles/voisin-was-the-master-of-unforgettable-art-deco-interiors

4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Schultz likes this.
  5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Big wheels again

Reinventing The Wheel For The EV Age

Why on earth do all the new EV wheels look like that?
    Photo: Brett Berk for Jalopnik
    By
    Brett Berk

Friday 1:00PM

I recently spent time with the 637-horsepower, $140,000 Audi e-tron GT RS, the four-ring brand’s high-performance four-door electric vehicle. Built on a platform shared with the Porsche Taycan—one of our top picks in the category—the GT, as its name suggests, is a bit more of a grand tourer than its cousin from Stuttgart. This suits me just fine, and I delighted in every one of the 650 miles I put on the electric Audi. I even found joy in the puzzle of charging, without a charger at home or anywhere on the streets of New York City, where I live. (As with anything autophilic in car-agnostic NYC, it helps to be friends with the guys who run the Classic Car Club of Manhattan. Thanks again for the juice, gents.)

But after my week behind the wheel, one question lingered. What is up with the out-of-control 21-inch, disc turbine wheels on this car, which resemble a Cuisinart blade that would turn a cadaver into human mulch? And what do they say about wheel design in general, in our age of incipient EV takeover?

To find out the answers, we went to the source: Caesar Muntada, Audi’s head of wheels and lighting Design. First, he described practical considerations. “Today, efficiency is key to a car’s performance,” Muntada said. “The answer at Audi are e-tron wheels with progressive and highly attractive designs, achieved in the metal shape, or with some specially developed inserts.” The goals here are to reduce weight and aid in aerodynamics, as mass and drag are enemies of both acceleration, and, more important, range.

Secondly, there are aesthetic considerations. EVs have a thick battery pack down low, housing the cells that provide their power. This concretion is easier to disguise in a higher-riding crossover or SUV, but more difficult in a low-slung sport sedan. Large, visually arresting wheels can help to offset these proportions. “The bigger wheels give the e-trons a modern look and reduce the optical mass that the generous ergonomic and battery layout have generated,” Muntada said.

Finally, and perhaps most important, is the semiotic importance of large wheels. With its fluid, flare-fendered, fastback shape, the GT RS has the good fortune of resembling its internal combustion engine-powered stable-mate, the RS7. But EV drivers (and designers) want their vehicles to stand out from the gas-guzzling crowd, to signify difference, if not to signal virtue.

“We gave the first generation of EV wheels a clear electric-semantic, with a multi-line graphic similar to the one we have on the Audi e-tron lights,” said Muntada. “The use of the aerodynamically efficient wheel inserts opens the door to even further differentiation, with colors, shapes, or patterns.”

Paul Snyder, the chair of the transportation design department at Detroit’s College for Creative Studies—one of the world’s premier institutions for teaching automotive styling—concurs, if a bit more vehemently. “Celebrating your difference as an EV is very important to some people as they project their choices out to the world,” Snyder said. “These days you have to scream.”

What does all of this mean for the proximal future, as we move into a world where a broad range of electric-powered models from every manufacturer will allow EVs to move from the choice of early adopters to that of fast followers, and even (hopefully, requisitely for the sake of our ruined world) into the mainstream?

Muntada has a few ideas. “For us at Audi, in the future the wheels will not only increase in size, but also in importance, probably achieving a similar ‘forward leap’ like the one we achieved with the Audi light design and technology,” he said.

Snyder once again agrees, but adds a new twist—or lack thereof. “Despite the fact that designers and enthusiasts like deep hub wheels, many packaging requirements call for the opposite,” he said. His comments presage a move toward more disc-like wheel shapes, and perhaps even a return to wheel covers, or even spats, to aid in efficiency and aero.

But he sees even greater change on the horizon, especially as power generation moves from one or more centralized locations, out to the hubs themselves. “In the near future, when the material technology is ready, the in-wheel motor will be at least as significant to packaging proportions as the switch from IC to EV,” he says. “But by then there will be VTOLs flying all over the place.”

6. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Yeah... I can really see me getting something like that at some point and then going on a road trip of a few thousand miles across the country. What better way to see the United States than in a classic American V8 luxury car? :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

Schultz and jm2 like this.
  7. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Here we go! Look out Sketch Monkey! :)

Lol, hopefully posting this here will keep me accountable. I’ve been promising John I’d try something ;) My daughter finally got on my case too so I’m trying to step up.

I have to say it’s a ton of work to plan, shoot and edit. It took me 100x longer than I thought. Hopefully I’ll have time to actually follow thru and sketch!

Crash or burn it will be fun to get back to what I love. First up will be my take of a 2030 512 BBLM. Old school sketching to start! No Photoshop hacking. If everything goes as planned it will end in a 1/4 scale model.

Sorry in advance for my nasally voice :)

8. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Subscribed! Go for it!

330 4HL and HotShoe like this.
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    We’ll it’s about time!
    Congratulations!! Make it happen.:)

330 4HL likes this.
  10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Subscribed!

HotShoe likes this.
  11. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Thanks!

Now if I can only remember how to sketch. :) have to say I’m really rusty but it’s coming back slow.

Thanks!

330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  12. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    me too!

HotShoe likes this.
  13. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Yes!!! Thank you!

330 4HL likes this.
  14. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
  15. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Aside from the fact that I see "bmw" in the elevation.......Surely it does not need such a BIG grille opening? Still with a radiator? Isn't it time to move on? Such a talented designer must be able to create a better solution..........

330 4HL likes this.
  16. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    330 4HL likes this.
  17. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  18. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    jm2 and NeuroBeaker like this.
  19. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Maybe relates to FMVSS light standards on different parts of a vehicle?

20. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner

I see Volvo has joined in on the "flat logo" trend as well. I've lost track of how many car brands have made this move, but I really don't get it. Take a luxury brand with a rich history of design and engineering , and stick a black & white decal on it to express that depth of sophistication. Really? What's next? Cardboard seats? Whenever I see another company going down this road, I remember how cheap the first "Road Runner" logo looked on that car. I went looking to try and understand this trend and found the following as us useful as any in explaining it. "Badge Engineering" has gone horribly wrong...

https://uxdesign.cc/is-the-end-near-for-flat-logo-design-4010d1cca157

tritone, energy88 and jm2 like this.
  21. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Don't say that. Someone, somewhere will see it and think "oh yeah, that sounds environmentally conscious".

The Cadillac logo could have been made to illuminate with colors, or the crest could have been given a halo sort of glow around the edges with lighting from behind a solid traditional crest. As it was, the Cadillac logo, partly by virtue of having color, was instantly recognizable even if you only glimpsed it for a moment. Whoever proposed this change is a dumbass.

All the best,
    Andrew.

jm2 likes this.
  22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Some real 'old school' design.
    Check Out These Classic GM Design Sketches
    Sep 12, 2021—2 min read
    Steven Symes
    They date as far back as the 1930s…
    Periodically, the GM Design team will share some interesting historical items on social media, giving us a break from horrifying possibilities for the future Chevy Camaro. A prime example is a set of design sketches from the 1930s and 1940s which had been collected by the former vice president of design Harley Earl, who kept these and other sketches in scrapbooks which he stored in his office. That was a smart thing to do, because preserving the sketches that way has ensured they can be enjoyed by future generations instead of having been lost forever.

These designs are far better than what some current GM designers have been dreaming up for the next Camaro. See the difference here.
    These sketches show how forward-thinking GM was back when it was becoming the formidable power in the automotive industry. Simple, Art Deco-inspired designs with strong, athletic linesmade the cars in the sketches appear larger than life. In one of the renderings by none other than George Lawson, who designed the original Tucker Torpedo, a woman drives a convertible on a runway as a plane flies low overhead and she extends her right hand upwards as if to touch the flying machine. The auto giant was Icarus flying toward the sun on its new wings, seemingly unstoppable in its market ascent.

image credit: Instagram
    Most notable among the sketches is the first-gen Cadillac Series 62, a legendary automobile, which was drawn by none other than Art Ross in 1937. His line drawing perfectly captures the kinetic motion of the large, gracefully-styled car as it speeds down the road and toward the viewer. Ross had a hand in the final design of the Series 62, working alongside Bill Mitchell.

Of course, Ross went on to help design many iconic classic Cadillacs and Buicks. Among the designs credited to the man as the Cadillac Fleetwood and LaSalle, as well as the Buick Y-Job, which is considered the first concept car produced by General Motors.

Some of the earliest examples included in the GM Design Archive & Special Collections come from Earl’s scrapbooks. We hope the GM Design team shares more of these early vehicle design drawings as they’re invaluable historical artifacts we know enthusiasts will appreciate.

23. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    colombo2cam and jm2 like this.
  24. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  25. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Winner at last weeks Audrain Concours.
    I love this car!
    1953 Abarth 1100 Ghia.
    Think about the cars of 1953 and put it in that context. Awesome.
    Could have done without the rather large proboscis, however.:rolleyes:

Schultz, anunakki, tritone and 5 others like this.