car design thread | Page 556 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Only one comment for that post:

of2worlds, Tenney, NbyNW and 2 others like this.
  2. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2007
    Milano - Italia
    Full Name:
    Cardinal
  3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    This showed up on my feed today. hard to comprehend as it were. you cant make this stuff up.

1957-Aurora-Safety-Car-gear-patrol-sidebar
    Designed and built by a Catholic priest with a passion for hideous cars, the Aurora was built as an ESV (Experimental Safety Car) to showcase state-of-the art passenger and pedestrian safety features. It boasted hydraulics to raise the car for easy tire changes, an “astrodome” plastic canopy, padded instrument panel, foam-filled bumpers and a supposedly dent-, rust- and corrosion-proof body. It was seemingly inspired by a whale shark. Thank the car gods this never made it to production"
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2007
    Milano - Italia
    Full Name:
    Cardinal
    #13879 Boomhauer, Apr 26, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    A statement is to have a BMW that looks like a Hyundai Kona in the front ?

https://paultan.org/2022/04/22/bmw-design-boss-domagoj-dukec-defends-brands-styling-approach/

" On the other hand, Dukec said elegant and harmonious doesn’t appeal to the remaining one-third of customers because these individuals “want to make a statement.” This is why the 4 Series and the new 7 Series look the way they do.

“These individuals really want to polarise. In the past, the 4 Series was just a sporty 3 Series, but these customers are different – they want a more irrational car, and they’re willing to pay more for that emotional expression, and to really make a statement,” explained Dukec. "

330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    And they've come off the rails as far as I'm concerned. :rolleyes:

330 4HL, tritone and Boomhauer like this.
  6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    THE GENIUS OF MICHELOTTI ON SHOW IN SWITZERLAND
    Home/NEWS/THE GENIUS OF MICHELOTTI ON SHOW IN SWITZERLAND

There was a Switzerland that spoke the language of automobile style. It happened in Aigle, in the Canton of Vaud (French-speaking Switzerland), which hosted the Swiss subsidiary of Carrozzeria Ghia: Ghia-Aigle, which became an independent brand in 1953 and also had a branch in Lugano, in Ticino. In this annexe of the Turin style, the best names in Italian design alternated and trained: from Giovanni Michelotti to Mario Boano, from Pietro Frua to Dany Brawand, head of style at Carrozzeria Moretti (he was born in Vevey, on the shores of Lake Geneva).

In order to recall the connections between Italy and Switzerland, and to pay tribute to an important and little-known theme, from 14 May to 26 June, the exhibition “Genie et Elegance – L’automobile par Giovanni Michelotti” will be held in Aigle, at the Prestige Car Romand showroom (Route de Lausanne, 13). Organized by the Club Fiat Anciennes Suisse and the Archivio Storico Michelotti, under the patronage of the Consulate General of Italy in Geneva. Seventeen cars will be on display, mostly designed by Michelotti, to whom this exhibition pays homage after the exhibitions already set up in recent months at the Mauto in Turin and at the DAF Museum in Eindhoven, Holland, on the occasion of the centenary of his birth, which will take place on October 6, 2021. Alfa Romeo, Alpine, BMW, DAF, Ferrari, Fiat, Jaguar, Lancia, Moretti, MG, Triumph are the brands that make up the bouquet of cars on display on the second floor of the Prestige Car Romand, but there will also be sketches, shape plans and documents to tell a story of passion, dedication and openness to the world.

Guided tours can be booked by emailing [email protected] or by calling +41 79 2104613.

330 4HL, tritone, Qvb and 2 others like this.
  7. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    That looks a bit like Elvis sitting in the drivers seat!:eek:

jm2 likes this.
  8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    That car showed the future ...Put a grill on it and you have some of the latest designs.

9. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    If that statement is to say they have no taste or sophistication, then they have succeeded.

All the best,
    Andrew.

10. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    Clearly this had a large influence on the ground-breaking work of designer Luigi Colani :eek:

tritone and jm2 like this.
  11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    That's exactly what I was thinking!

330 4HL likes this.
  12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  13. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    G. Pepper, 330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  14. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Steady-peccker
    Studebaker

330 4HL and of2worlds like this.
  16. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    this showed up yesterday.
    I'm not really into SUVs, or fake grilles, but this shiny black effort is solid enough to almost come across as a trim colour and less a fake grille.

17. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    Suffice it to say that I was drawn into the weeds this afternoon by the AMX.

I came across these images of a concept I had completely forgotten. It's easy to see how this developed into the first production AMX, but almost easier to imagine this being the concept that might have led to the first Cougar.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ak Jim, G. Pepper, NYC Fred and 7 others like this.
  18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    That AMX1 has a lot of design details that remind me of the 1964 - 1965 Buick Riviera.

330 4HL likes this.
  19. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    Indeed, I thought so as well; mostly the front end. As the AMX II came in '66 and the Riv in '63 you can imagine Dick Teague's staff being "inspired" by the Buick. Not so for the Cougar flavour though; that was still 2 years off.
    The elevation also has the same double-ended look that was part of a design he developed for what would become the Hornet which ( I think?) had 4 doors the same to save on tooling.
    Teague's group managed to do some pretty remarkable work in turning hamburger into steak!

Qvb, of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    There was also the 1964 Chevrolet Super Nova which had some interesting design details.
    The fiberglass body was finished in 'Fire Frost Silver' metallic a Cadillac color. Note the lack of door handles for a cleaner look and the 'buried' rear window treatment to >

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nicknamed the 'Shark' this Chevrolet was overshadowed by the arrival of the Ford Mustang in 1964. The Super Nova did however contribute to the development of the Chevrolet Camaro two years later.

Tenney, VigorousZX, Boomhauer and 2 others like this.
  21. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2007
    Milano - Italia
    Full Name:
    Cardinal
  22. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    #13898 330 4HL, May 3, 2022
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
    It seems that about once every six months or so, we get a new 'Most Beautiful Cars' piece.
    As some of you are aware, I am in the process of changing continents at the moment, and part of this process involves sorting through years (22 in my case) of treasure accumulated since the previous move.
    In the spirit of 'what I aught not do", I spent a goodly portion of the afternoon sorting through old magazines because I still have two weeks before the truck arrives...
    In that spirit, I will now present the results of such an article from August '97 Classic& Sports Cars "top 20", with input from such names as Bracq, Lutz, Sapino, le Quenent, & Nick Mason.
    Without further:
    1 - Bugatti Atlantique
    2 - Jaguar E-type
    3 - Alfa Romeo 2900
    4 - Bentley Continental
    5 - Lamborghini Miura
    6- Jaguar XK 120
    7 - Aston-Martin Zagato
    8 - Lotus Elite
    9 - Lincoln Continental
    10 - Ferrari GTO
    11 - Jaguar D-type
    12 - Ferrari - 250 SWB
    13 - Bugatti T35
    14 - Ferrari 275GTB
    15 - M-B 300SL
    16 - Lancia Aurelia
    17 - Alfa Romeo 2300 spider
    18 - Citroen DS
    19 - M-B 500/540K Roadster
    20 - Jaguar Mk II

four Jags ( as one might expect from a British mag), three Ferraris, Two Bugattis, two Mercs, two Alfas, and two Continentals (??)

I think I might have stumped up for a Ferrari 166/212 Barca, and it's a bit of a shock not to see one or two U.S. cars (Stude Starliner, C2 Corvette?) but well, Europe will be Europe.

So, Additions? Subtractions? Outrage?

of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  24. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    The term "Forced Collaboration" perfectly describes many of the failures that have hit the market in recent years.

Boomhauer and jm2 like this.