car design thread | Page 590 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Had mine a month now. The 'light show' was something I wasn't sure about, hence the Tokyo Ginza at night comment. But it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it might. The reaction from people that see it is amazing. People are amazed Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #14727 furmano, Sep 16, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
    No it's cool. I wasn't into the idea when it was leaked years ago. Now that it's out, I'm pleasantly warm to it. I accept it and I think it does the brand well.

This design is better than the FF, a more balanced greenhouse, better graphics, good decisions throughout (V12, 3/4 rear door, cool tech).

I think the interior design is good.

If I had the means I'd pick one up. :)

330 4HL likes this.
  3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    amazing price.
    how much energy does that light show consume. range drastically reduced?

jm2 likes this.
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I don't believe it reduces it that much. I've given countless demonstrations :rolleyes: and I haven't noticed a reduction in range.

5. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Light show is personality! How're you liking the drive so far?

jm2 likes this.
  6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #14731 jm2, Sep 16, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
    i have to admit I am/was the biggest skeptic on the planet vis a vis electrification, and moving away from ICE vehicles. So having said that, I'm slowly coming around, but there still are major reservations. As my DD, it is great, but we still have my wife's car for 'extended' trips. Unlike CA, here in Michigan/the Mid Waste, the infrastructure still is non existent. I charge at home with no issues, out and about around town, that's another matter.

The car itself is way beyond my expectations. The exterior/interior design are a bonafide Home Run. I've had so many people approach me with enthusiastic comments and countless questions. More than any Ferrari i've had.:rolleyes:

The driving experience has been very positive, and the interior is such a great environment. I told the dealer, ask me in 2 yrs after the lease is up whether I'm 'all in'. But so far.........so good!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, HotShoe, anunakki and 4 others like this.
  7. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Great car. And the only thing "making" you drive it is the coolness (can't help it!) - and wooden rollercoasters will always be a blast - so seems like a reasonable time for cars, still ...?!

jm2 likes this.
  8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    It's a complicated journey as to how I got here, but to your point, the driving force for me getting this car was the design/looks/appearance.:rolleyes:
    Not very scientific criteria, I agree. My peeps all think I've taken leave of my senses leasing an electric car, but I was so taken with the design of the Interior/Exterior I took the plunge. No one ever said it had to make any sense. I'm also a Ferrari owner, go figure. Like I keep sayin': Design, it's important.
    And all the people that have responded to the vehicle bare witness to that statement.

Like I said, ask me in 2 years.;)

Oh, and did I mention I ordered a V6/electric Ferrari. Whoa, I'm really 'all in'. I had bigger reservations around THAT decision.

Now back to our original programming!

of2worlds, HotShoe, anunakki and 2 others like this.
  9. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  10. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm not usually a fan of the tablet-style dashboard, but I quite like that. Even though it's protruding out of the dash rather than embedded within it, it's sculptured, looks like it's meant to be there, and doesn't invoke the image of someone just bolting an iPad to a car that didn't have a screen from the design phase.

All the best,
    Andrew.

Isobel and jm2 like this.
  11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Thanks, great story and interview.

Tenney likes this.
  12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The 'Mini Van' story:
    Ford’s Mini Max Proposal
    September 16, 20221 CommentJim Farrell
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Ford’s Mini Max Proposal
    By Jim and Cheryl Farrell

In the mid-1950s, George Walker, head of Ford‘s Styling Center, was frustrated because his designers had been unable to come up with a theme model for the car that became the ‘60 Falcon—that is, one that was acceptable to Bob McNamara, then head of Ford Division. Finally, Walker assigned veteran designer Don DeLaRossa, who at the time was the new head of the Lincoln studio, and Gale Halderman, a promising young designer manager at Ford, to the project. They were set up them in a small studio downstairs and told to design a small Ford that would pass muster with McNamara. Halderman and the clay modelers did most of the design work, while DeLaRossa was usually busy with other projects. Halderman said that when DeLaRossa reviewed what had been designed, he would make suggestions for a small change to a line here or there or propose addition a feature somewhere on the clay model. Halderman says he was amazed because those small changes DeLaRossa suggested “just made the design.” That clay model went on to become the Ford Falcon.

Fast forward about 15 years. Over the course of 3–4 years in the mid-1970s, DeLaRossa championed a minivan designed at the Ghia design facility in Italy. The Ford minivan proposals, called the Mini Max, were designed using differing platforms. They got as far as at least four operable prototypes. Henry Ford II—still gun-shy from the Edsel debacle—thought the Mini Max would cut into Ford station wagon sales too much, so he said “no” to the production Ford minivan. After that, it was mostly forgotten, but the prototypes were locked up in a warehouse. DeLaRossa thought Ford made a huge mistake in not marketing a Ford minivan. He forecast to friends that the decision would “come back to bite” Ford—but he also kept photographs and the plans for it.

In 1978, DeLaRossa retired to Florida and became part owner of a Cadillac agency. By that time Halderman and DeLaRossa had both become executive directors at the Ford Design Center.

After Henry Ford II fired Lee Iacocca as Ford’s president in mid-1978, Iacocca was quickly hired by Chrysler as its president. A few weeks after he started at Chrysler, Iacocca called Halderman at home one evening and offered him the job as head of Chrysler’s design department. Iaccoca explained all the troubles he had at Chrysler, financial and otherwise, told Halderman he would have to take a cut in salary, but that if he (Iacocca) was successful in turning Chrysler around, Halderman would be well compensated because of stock options. Halderman thought about the offer for a few days and then called Iacocca back. Halderman told Iacocca he was happy at Ford, but more importantly, he and his wife had a young son born with serious medical problems, and he didn’t think it fair for him to take on a new job that would mean working extra hours he thought should be devoted to his family. Iacocca reluctantly said he understood. Halderman then suggested that Iacocca hire DeLaRossa as his new chief designer. Halderman explained to Iacocca about his Falcon experience and told him DeLaRossa was exactly the right person he needed at Chrysler because DeLaRossa was a master at changing or remodeling the design of a car with very little cost and minimal effort.

Iacocca hired DeLaRossa as Chrysler’s head of design, and one of the first new projects DeLaRossa undertook was the design of the Chrysler minivan. DeLaRossa said that if he could have gotten the Ford prototypes out of storage he would have, but he couldn’t. (Iacocca undoubtedly remembered the Mini Max proposals also.) With the plans and photographs DeLaRossa had, plus some excellent Chrysler designers, by late 1983, Chrysler was able to design and market its own minivan, and we all know how well that turned out for Chrysler!

Photos: Ford Design

Footnote: I remember seeing in the hallways at GM Design Staff a rolling, full-size, fiberglas model of a minivan proposal called the MPV (Multiple Purpose Vehicle) based on the FWD X-body platform. It was very much like Chrysler’s minivan that came out several years later. Gary.

Attached Files:

anunakki, Tenney, 330 4HL and 2 others like this.
  13. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Last week we delivered my daughter to Drexel University in Philadelphia (and it turns out that my great great great great grandfather was AJ Drexel, who turns out to have been quite the successful businessman. Not only starting the college but he also was the original senior partner of Drexel Morgan co, which became J P Morgan (after Drexel died))
    Unrealized by me, our trip coincided with the Radnor Hunt Concours. This is a pretty nice show. Though there are a few featured marques, Cadillac seemed to be the main one. Unfortunately, it rained, quite a bit. But here are some shots I got.
    I will add some more tomorrow
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Schultz

Schultz Karting

Mar 9, 2014
    Midwest
    MANIFESTO: THE LIVING LAB OF DACIA
    MANIFESTO concept is a lab for ideas and a vehicle that is connected to nature, environmentally friendly and brimming with breakthroughs some of which will be available on future vehicles in Dacia’s range.

Lets start with performance. 720 KG, 4WD, Airless tires. Seems it is a static concept so no word on power source. Looks like a mini Warthog from the HALO series of videogames

[​IMG]

The concept brings a lot attachable capabilities. Dacia runs a "bring your own device" cell phone add on for the navigation and apps. The concept also has a build in single headlamp that you can detach to use as a flashlight.

MANIFESTO concept's main plastic body parts contains a significant portion of recycled material. Called Starkle®, it is made from already processed polypropylene, with a flecked effect.

Dacia's goal is to use 20% of recycle plastics for their popular Duster model, currently they are at 12% already beating the average.

You can see a charging port below. It's a big removal battery pack. Not for you ultralight backpackers. Additionally you can see the built in roof rack a bit better here. There's a great video showing how it is modular and it will be coming to production Duster SUV and other models soon.

Check out the interior. The seat covers can turn into sleeping bags.. It's all waterproof as expected. Reminds me of a BMW i3 interior

Dacia is pushing forwards more environmentally friendly materials. less decorative chrome plating and more natural finish materials as seen by the cork below. Judging by my cork coaster on my desk, I don't think it would last very well.

Tenney, 330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Older (1964)Ford Styling video.

Video: Inside the Ford Design Studios, 1964
    Posted on July 13, 2019 by MCG

Image Unavailable, Please Login Here’s a rare look inside the Ford styling studios in the early ’60s with an original company film called Styling and the Experimental Car.

The styling studios of the global automakers are among the most secretive and secure places on earth—-except for those occasional moments when, for reasons of their own, they decide to allow us a brief glimpse inside. One such moment at the Ford Motor Company arrived in 1964, when the Dearborn carmaker produced this film, Styling and the Experimental Car.

The early ’60s, we have to believe, were an exciting time at the Ford design studios, tucked away behind the black iron gates on Oakwood Avenue. Gene Bordinat, who in 1961 succeeded George Walker as vice-president of design, headed a talented team of stylists that included Joe Oros, L. David Ash, John Najjar, and others. And the advanced projects under way at the time included the Ford Allegro, the Shelby Cobra-based Cougar II, and the Aurora, a futuristic station wagon concept (read our feature on the Aurora here). Naturally, they are all featured here.

For the purposes of this film, the culmination of all the effort was the fabulous Ford Mustang, introduced in April of 1964 at the New York World’s Fair. And of course, it’s fair to say the Mustang was easily one of the most important and memorable designs ever created in the Ford styling studios. Here’s some of the story behind it.

16. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think they are gorgeous. Question, when you leave an EV do you purchase the at-home charger or is it leased as well?

17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    In the case of the Cadillac Lyriq, the charger came with it, but I had to add a 220 line to the garage

of2worlds and anunakki like this.
  18. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Well, after you turn in the Lyric, you could always take up welding or plasma cutting as a garage hobby with your 220 service.

of2worlds, 330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    energy88 likes this.
  20. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I absolutely love this design. Congrats.

Design knocked it out of the park.

anunakki and jm2 like this.
  21. Akg200

Akg200 Karting

Mar 10, 2022
    The States
    The car design gives me a retro feel.

22. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    VW Gen Travel concept via Autoblog; https://www.autoblog.com/2022/09/23/vw-gentravel-concept-autonomous/

Front 2/4 reminds me of a chopped Model A 'concept' by harry Bradley from late '60s.
    I'm not sure what the fender flares are intended to imply; enough performance to scare passengers silly??

An extra bonus after the VW is a link to Cadillac concepts video -

23. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Don't fret about Allante, John. This just in.

According to Hagerty, there is a 1 in 5 demographic someplace who are in "love" with the Allante!​

Isobel, Schultz, jm2 and 2 others like this.
  24. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Back then even the real paper Allante owner's manual came in a nice leather portfolio to!

Tenney, jm2 and energy88 like this.
  25. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Isobel, Schultz, Tenney and 3 others like this.