car design thread | Page 627 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    jm2 likes this.
  2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    No one or very few used the front lobby/entrance to get to the studios. There was an entrance to the studio bldg on another side. But you're absolutely correct, I always thought those stairs were odd to traverse.

330 4HL likes this.
  3. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
  5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Tenney, anunakki and colombo2cam like this.
  6. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Saw a C4 today that looked super clean. Made me think back to what a groundbreaking design it was at the time.

Still a very good looking car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer, NbyNW, 330 4HL and 2 others like this.
  7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Agree, one of the cooler Vette designs.

330 4HL, energy88 and anunakki like this.
  8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  9. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Pathetic article!
    Interesting subject (esp as I just bought one) but never rises above 'intern-level' writing.....and no editor ever reviewed it.....
    About the norm for gen-pop car articles...

Boomhauer likes this.
  10. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    So, jm2, do you know/think GM built both Chevrolet, Olds, (and Pontiac) on the same platform in <1950> ?
    Sure looks the same........
    (I think the Buick platform may have been shared with Cadillac?)
    Curious, as I had both a hardtop and a convertible Oldsmobile, and didn't realize how similar the Chevrolet was....(gimme a break, I was only 15!!!)

330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    IIRC, yes they all shared the same door skin. I think in ‘59 all the cars Cad to Chev had the same door skin, but check, my memory may be incorrect. :rolleyes:
    Harley Earl was a master of hiding that with ‘decoration/styling’

330 4HL, tritone and energy88 like this.
  12. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    jm2 likes this.
  13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    In the 'you don't hit a home run every time at bat' file. You can see the Cadillac in the upper, windshield, roof, etc.
    "1959 CADILLAC COUPE DE VILLE RAYMOND LOEWY CUSTOM. - Raymond Loewy, often referred to as the father of industrial design, is appreciated and respected for his legendary styling which demonstrated speed, beauty and simplicity. His motto "never leave well enough alone," was exemplified through his life and made him one of the most famous stylists of our time. His most well-known automotive design was the Studebaker Starliner and Avanti. Loewy's 1959 one-off Cadillac Coupe de Ville presented here was his own personal car from 1959 to 1970. It was purchased new and delivered to his coach builder Pichon-Parat of Sens, France where it was redesigned and transformed into this stylish and elegant coupe, then shown at the 1959 Paris Salon Auto Show. It was used by Loewy and his family in Europe, then shipped back to the States, where it spent time in New York and Palm Springs, California. In 1970, it was sold to Loewy's next-door neighbor, a car collector named Mimo Zaccuri, then was subsequently lost until its recent find a few years ago. This vehicle was discovered in a highly original state, showing approximately 41,000 kilometers, with all of its original and important parts complete and intact. It has just completed a very thorough restoration to show standards, finished in Raymond Loewy's favorite gold color with a bone white roof. A photo album accompanies the car documenting the car's history, restoration and provenance. The Cadillac presented here was one of Loewy's personal favorites and is possibly the last of a handful of the stylist's postwar creations that has not yet been acquired by a museum or private collection. It is featured in his own book "Industrial Design"
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Schultz, tritone, VigorousZX and 2 others like this.
  14. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    tritone, 330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I know I’m old school, but you can usually spot the attempts at cars that weren’t evaluated outside from 30+ ft away. Gotta get them outside and walk around them.

tritone, 330 4HL, energy88 and 2 others like this.
  16. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    This Cadillac is just weird. The massing of the front fenders overwhelms the diminishing volume of the rest of the side. The thin roof pillars and roof are completely ad odds with the rather ovoide design of the balance of the car. The coffin nose at the front is only just saved from being its worst feature by the truly strange underslung chrome bumpers, in a slightly bizarre reprise of his bullet nose Stude of the late 40's.

I've never really thought of Lowey as a great automotive designer though. I love the '64 Avanti and '53 Starliner but Bob Bourke is credited with most of the work on the '53 car.
    He was however a great designer in other fields, most notably graphic design and rebranding; Lucky Strike, Exxon, Shell , BP come to mind and of course the Greyhound Supercruiser and Air Foerce One!
    This is certainly a body of work of the highest level.

jm2 and tritone like this.
  17. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Completely agree. As much as I respect Loewy's design chops, for me the cars were always less impressive than his designs in other fields. Pretty good results like the Avanti were overshadowed by the Jaguar #8
    and the custom body on the BMW 507 Chassis.......

330 4HL, energy88 and jm2 like this.
  18. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  19. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    In a quick glance at the profile, I'm not quite sure which direction it's facing. The trim around the pillars and roof makes it look like it's going backwards.

All the best,
    Andrew.

jm2 and Qvb like this.
  20. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    "Fashion designer Iris van Herpen recently collaborated with Rolls-Royce for a one-off Phantom Extended. While there is plenty going on with the exterior, it is what’s inside that really catches the eye.
    CDN's Guy Bird sat down with van Herpen to chat about her first transport project, what’s on her mood board and the stress of stress-testing organza fabric.
    https://bit.ly/3F7kL78"
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Yeah, well here's your 'digital modeling' taken to the MAX! :D
    I chortled when this first splattered onto my desktop.......but then I thought, Hey! this is what I expected to see win the Riddler! This guy could/should be working in Detroit or Costa Mesa......
    But wait! there's more.......
    https://www.designboom.com/art/ken-kelleher-cars-motorcycles-sculptural-art-pieces-digital-03-07-2023/?utm_source=designboom+daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ken+kelleher+depicts+cars+and+motorcycles+as+sculptural+art+pieces+in+digital+series
    I am so posting the '928' on the Porsche websites!

Schultz, energy88, 330 4HL and 2 others like this.
  22. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Very wishful thinking for Iris.......

Boomhauer, 330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Well now, :rolleyes: there's something we haven't seen.
    Luigi Colani reincarnated?

tritone and 330 4HL like this.
  24. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I DIS have to laugh at this statement: "the stress of stress-testing organza fabric"
    Now there's a stressful design hurtle.

tritone and 330 4HL like this.