Car rear ended me on road bike... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Car rear ended me on road bike...

Discussion in 'Sports' started by rob lay, Jun 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Glad you're alright.

Was she yapping on a cell phone?

2. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Good thing you don't live here in Boise. We've had three cyclists killed in this past month after getting hit by cars!

Great to hear you escaped with minimal harm!

3. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Glad you survived .. RIP to your ride. I'm a triathlete (albeit an older one) and given the number of killed and injured cyclists in our area, I get nervous on solo training rides. I've found that there is comfort and maybe protection in a group ride .. drivers see a group better .. or maybe it just a probablilty thing .. like a group swim in the ocean where shark attacks have happened. Your new wheels are sweet but if given the choice (which you were not) I'd save my money and buy one rather than count on an insurance claim. Not everyone is as fortunate as you. Have a good race.

4. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Glad you're ok, Rob...

Mike in Kuwait

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Damn, Rob "on the mend" Lay must be sore today... and/or fishing... as he hasn't posted in 24 hours.

6. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Lay'd up, perhaps?

7. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    Glad you are okay Rob. Locally we lose at least 5 a year like that. Every week I climb a hill named after a girl killed by a drunk driver (at 9am) as she waited at the side of the road; driver only stopped when her 9 yr old son told her she'd hit someone. Two weeks ago a commuter was hit by a drunk driver (at 5pm) and then hit again as she lay on the road. Last year a was pulled over with a helmet dragging under his car, owner of the helmet was seriously injured a few miles back. One friend was the unfortunate first on the scene trying to hold brains in with his jersey, rider did not survive. Another buddy broke his hip, leg, ribs in an accident just like yours, will never walk unaided again. We have an annual race for a (now) quadriplegic guy who was hit from the rear at over 60mph - and he was in a bike lane...

This one got the most press time:

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_12692129?IADID=Search-www.mercurynews.com-www.mercurynews.com

And I'm with you, fast and as far over to the right as possible, debris permitting.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    crazy week, flew myself and few fellow car racers down to funeral of racer in Houston that died last Saturday at Road America.

pain and soreness didn't get any worse after 1st day, but you should see the bruise now! The oddest grossest prettiest purple all over. :D will try run here in a little bit for first workout since.

9. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    This post is worthless without pix!

10. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Just found this thread. Glad you're ok, Rob.

(I've never been hit, knock on wood)

11. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    New bike there yet?

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    no, should be in and built tomorrow or Wednesday.

13. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think a great value, Dura Ace would have been nice, but the 2009 Ultegra will blow away my 2000 Dura Ace. Bike is a couple pounds lighter than my 5500 too. So not top of the line like my 5500 was in 2000, it does blow it away in every way. Will save my pennies and maybe next year get a Cervelo P3/P4 with Dura Ace. This will be a great road bike ongoing and tri bike in the meantime. Steel bars, so I can still use my clip-on aeros.

15. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    That's a nice looking replacement Rob, didn't want to splurge on the Dura Ace Di2 :)?

16. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Glad you are okay Rob, but I am not familiar with drivers getting pissed enough at a bicyclist to hit them! If that is the case people need some real psychotherapy. I drive small enough vehicles that there is always room for at least one cyclist to share a lane in a a pinch. If a cyclist is in the middle of the lane I don't see a problem with that either. In short order you can wait for them to go wherever they are going or go around them. We were following a pair of cyclists last week on the Blue ridge Parkway in NC going downhill, and they were averaging close to 40 mph!!!
    We generally gave them about a 100-150 yard cushion, it was fun to watch.
    Good luck in the triathlon.
    :)
    BT

17. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

of course and you should never forget to do head checks often!!! i was hit about 6 yrs ago on my new pinarello price. bike was ruined and i have never really recovered totally. be careful.

pcb

18. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

happens all the time. i have had all of the above occur and i have had many a run in with those offending. i am a 6-4 sprinter...i will chase down a car when they stop at a light or think i am long gone. they seldom know what to do with me when i catch up and ask them if they want to step out of the car!!!

pcb

19. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Has any civilian got a full kit of Di2 yet? I've heard some crazy stories and "back-orders" for the stupidest things.

20. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    Sorry to here about the accident Rob. I can relate as my second week in Dallas I was on the White Rock trail at Greenville and Royal and a lady ran a red light and I stomped on the brakes and flew over the handlebars seperating my shoulder. She ended up about a foot from me and she actually had to back up to get around me and then took off leaving the scene. I ended up in the hospital with 2 shoulder surgeries. I still remember the license plate number TX RQ 611 but I never did anything about it as I was just worried about my injury.

I moved to Dallas from CO and the attitudes of many drivers here is that if you are on a bike you are on "their" road and you are in the way. In CO most motorists respect cyclists. Many times drivers in dallas have honked right when they get up to the bike to "teach me a lesson" that I am on their road even when I am hugging the shoulder. That never happened in CO. Remember the SMU professor that was convicted of intentionally hitting a cyclist at White Rock? amazing.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-smuprof_01met.ART.North.Edition1.24fc7cd.html

21. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    be careful !

Glad you are ok.

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Just saw the thread....glad you are alright.

I was at a stop sign on a motorcycle onc,e when a big Pontiac ran into me from behind, sent the thing about 200'.

I hit the ground about the 80' mark, and it HURT!

Lucky day for you pardner...peddle faster!!!

23. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Not sure, they had a bike set up with the Di2 at Bicyclesportshop in Austin that I got to try out, and the system is pretty impressive, almost impossible to drop a chain. I have no idea if they were selling the groupo or not since it's certainly out of my price range. I know that it's listed as an option if you build up a bike to order on competitivecyclist, but again not sure if it's actually shipping.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #49 rob lay, Jul 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So 6 days later I’m getting back into it, still purple bruises and although that hurt the most when accident happened it doesn’t hurt much at all now. Over the past few days tailbone and elbow have been more painful, those are more a deep thing, nothing on the surface. I can run and ride, but sitting is actually the most uncomfortable. Lawyer suggested I go to doctor and glad I did as everything documented and he ordered up back and tailbone x-rays. Insurance still hasn’t called for a statement yet and I called once to check-in and they said it takes time and it has been assigned. In past claims with insurance the statement always happened within a day. I suspect this might be a cheapo company. I got on mountain bike and did 10 miles of trails yesterday. I was a complete scaredy cat, but good to get back on bike. Today I rode 16 on the new bike. Again, complete scaredy cat, every car that passed me even if in the other lane made me cringe. My MPH average was down about 2.0.

The new bike is awesome! So light and great looking. The shifting overall is more precise than the 2000 Dura Ace, but surprisingly the front deralier throw is twice as long compared to 10 year old technology. Chain was also coming off every time I was in big ring and had done a one bump front deralier adjust before going into small ring. Never required a stop as would get back on track going back up to the big ring. I forgot to get tech inspection for the tri, so I have to go back in anyway and will get it fine tuned.

Since I couldn’t ride through the weekend I did 3 runs in a row and now I have a shin splint starting on my right leg. Have taken 2 days off running, will see how it feels tomorrow.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. ROULEUR

ROULEUR Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Chris C
    Same thing just happened to my good friend and local bike shop owner Todd Muller of Reality Bikes in Cumming Georgia. He was hit from behind, he hit the deck HARD and subsequently broke his hip in three places. 10 weeks of zero weight on it. He was two miles from his house. Best part, when he got hit, the man driving the car behind him stood over him and in broken english SCREAMED, "this was YOUR fault!!!" Double that with the fact that the officer who showed up on the scene was NOT going to cite the driver until the FedEx man said that he clearly hit him from behind. Guy left 35 feet of skid marks before he hit Todd. Two nights later, two juniors on our development team got hit from behind also by a 17 year old girl driving her fathers pickup truck. She did not see them as she was finishing off a text message at the time. You have got to be kidding me. I was hit like this twelve years ago by a 90 year old woman. She was held up for about a quarter mile by the pack I was riding in. She had the horn on her car blaring for the whole half mile, in a residential neighborhood, and when we hit the stop sign where I was stopped waiting for the person with the right of way, she crushed my rear wheel under her bumper! She did not even care when she did it. Broke a brand new Ti frame with her car that was worth less than the rear wheel she smashed. I just don't understand people.