Car shipped uncovered | FerrariChat

Car shipped uncovered

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by mauispence, Dec 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mauispence

mauispence Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence
    I'm in Sabang in the Philippines and my buddy John calls me and tells me my Hot Rod Ford is on the dock at Matson sitting uncovered. Then he tells me it was shipped uncovered and is all rusty. WTF!!! So when I Get home I will have to detail it and see how much damage has been done. Oh well at least I'm having fuuuuuun here.:)

2. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    Alot of what looks like rust will be easily removed. Get some of that bronze wool from Eastwood. It will be OK. But maybe if you raise hell they might give you a bit of a discount; They are already ripping us off for shipping here anyway.

3. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Did you pay for containerized shipping ?

4. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I've never had a problem. I know that the cars sit outside until they get loaded.... It bothers me, but it's not the end of the world. Anytime I've ever shipped something nice or a classic, they get put on the inside of the boat and not on the "auto frames" aka the open shipping racks for cars. Or at least I'm being told this, of course I never see my cars on the boat

5. mauispence

mauispence Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence
    Well $6,000 Later I can tell you I will NEVER Use Matson to ship a car again. I had to buy 3 new Carbs, pull motor and trany, pull heads & rework valves etc. pull pan's on M&T.Trany going south so I have to pull M&T again to CK trany torque converter. Never ever again.

6. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I know Matson carries insurance. Have you filed a claim? Damn, my 63 356 cab is due to arrive any minute now. I hope it's going to be ok- aside from being dirty and needing a car wash

7. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    What other options for shipping are there? It's a shame about Matson, they spend so much time fighting off competition that they must be forgetting how to keep the customers happy but then with no competition they really dont need to. :-(

8. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    Wow, sorry to hear. However it looks like that not only shipper, but a seller is in fault, since you had to rebuild top-end and torque convertor is shot...

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    ALWAYS ship a car in a container. A small 20 FT container wont be much more than RORO shipping. It also means the tools that drive the cars on and off (RORO) won't be able to drive it. Trust me, ALL cars that get driven on RORO are getting abused, terribly. Revving it from stone cold, burnouts, drifting, you name it, it happens. Gearknobs etc frequently don't arrive, don't be surprised if the standard rim got replaced by the space saver either.

I've got several ''friends'' who worked on various docks that did this.

10. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Oh heck yeah, I thought the OP contracted for a container and got RORO. That is a big no no!

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Even if you container it they still have to get it out of the container and then they are driving it and yes cold motors can be ruined. I would say this hot rod was too inviting to not be tried out and I'm sorry about the damage.

My advice is if you are rich enough fly the car, otherwise leave the car behind and start again.

I've shipped a car part way through a restoration and still repairing damage, and my father used to be a service manager for new cars and they used to smoke them up on cold tyres all the time ... plus Maserati clocks would go missing, you name it. Plus if they don't go they will use a fork lift to move it around.

You might as well bend over and ask them all to have their turn, if you ship a car.
    Pete

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    No they don't. You can have the container ''sealed'' after inspection at the port and only the recipient/person of trust is allowed to open it once at destination. He will be the only person allowed to open the container (unless there is a terror/drug threat ofcourse).

I know 2 people that deal with this on very regular basis. One tuner, who gets cars send from all over the world which he repairs/modifies. He's based in NZ and at the port he has to open the container whilst the car gets inspected if it's been cleaned properly (fear of insects etc). The other owns a shipping company.

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Well that is not what happened in my case. I was not even contacted until after they had lifted it with a forklift and damaged it. And where my car was stored there were many other cars that had been somehow removed from containers. A couple had damage underneath them from forklifts.

Maybe this is a Sydney only thing?, but in Sydney a car has to be lifted so they can inspect the underneath as they have to be free of all dirt, etc.
    Pete

14. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    I bought my own container in Houston for $2900, loaded and secured the cars myself, locked the container with my own lock, kept the key, and my cars arrived in mint condition. Matson shipped the container, US Customs sealed it, but no one touched the cars but me. I also just sold the container on the Big Island for $4000.

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Okay that is the way to do it!

Pete

16. ReinD

ReinD Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2010
    Definitely!

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think that's what I tried to describe. The guy I know that runs the shop in NZ does it this way, although I'm not sure if he owns the containers or not.

18. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

#18 SrfCity, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    Used Matson a while back Honolulu to Long Beach. The car arrived dirty but after a wash and detail all was good. They have cameras all over the place so I don't think theft is a huge deal? I'd use them again. It was about a grand. It works out to be cheaper and faster then trucking across the US the same distance, by the time they actually pick up and deliver.