Car storage under home? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Car storage under home?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bounty, Apr 22, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Initials are "P.M."?

2. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    There is a guy on fchat building one in cali right now. He has a thread full of pictures somewhere but I can't find it. I think he is a music producer or something in the music business.

3. skeletor123

skeletor123 Karting

Nov 24, 2007
    Florida
    i am pretty sure he rents a separate warehouse

4. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    #29 wetpet, May 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    mine is under my master bedroom. I like the "hidden" look of it. Not a big fan of huge, visible garages. specially on a smaller house like mine.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    When we built our current house, the one thing I really wanted was a drive-in basement. I wanted a nice big work shop that I could pull a car or 2 into and still fit every tool know to man and have room to work. I was so excited about it. I also keep the lawn and pool stuff I there so I don’t need a separate shed.

Now that I have it, I do like it, but I’m not 100% sure I’d do it again. The reason is smell. Lana does not appreciate the smell of used gear oil the same way I do…. or exhaust, or gasoline, or brake clean, or spray paint, or anything burning, or grass mildewing on the mower deck, or you name it.

My basement is unfinished and the HVAC stuff is down there too, so not only do smells leak up through the floor, they get sucked into the heat/Ac air and pump through the house. I’m thinking I’m going to plastic and sheetrock the ceiling and wall off the HVAC stuff, it’s got to help. I did install a HUGE vent hood over my work/welding table which helps and I can now often take the cap off a can of spray cleaner without getting hit in the back of the head seconds later, but if I want to to actually spray the cleaner I still need to take the part outside or at least quickly through the rags outside.

It is a very convenient and practical space to use for car stuff, but sealing and ventilating the space to keep the air separate from the house air should be high on the design list IMO.

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That is stunning!

7. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    #32 David_S, May 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Have the builder make a basement that is the length and width of the house. With the house, have the builder construct a modest, two-car garage ...with a car elevator inside. When you come home, drive your car into your modest two-car garage, close the garage door and down you go into a beautiful bat cave of automotive deliciousness. You could store a dozen or two dozen cars down there, depending on the length and width of the space. Hell, it it's deep enough, you could put lifts down there and have a 30-40 car collection! And it would all pass through your modest little two-car garage.

9. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I have just completed buiding a garage in an industrial building (thread is called designing dream garage). Many of the same considerations would apply to an under house garage. When you do the geometry a ramp will not work for many cars like an F40 so a lift is the only real solution. A turntable makes everything very simple. Exhaust fans are easy and eliminate all risk if you run the cars inside during the off-season. Main point is damp-proofing. Good luck!

10. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Very nice wetpet. I agree completely. I like the garages hidden.

11. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    My house is on a sloped lot. The garage doors go directly out onto the driveway with no ramp. the other 3 walls are foundation walls, ie, every part of this house has a garage under it..

I love it. I've had 5 cars in it at one time, with room still left for a workshop. (and, it's not that big of a house)

Only drawback...Carrying groceries up the stairs gets old (esp. when YOU'RE old lol).

Good luck.

Oh yeah, I saw a house with this same concept, only it was on lot better suited for it. But, the driveway went in under one side of the house, and came out of the other side. A "drive-through" garage under the house, was really cool and unique. Could really open it up.