Car-swapping | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Car-swapping

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TestShoot, Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I love swapping! Problem I have is no one can drive my car! The pedals are so small and close together you need small feet and excellent technique. But anyone who CAN drive it is free to take it for a spin. They are always amazed and that's priceless to me.

2. CraigFL

CraigFL Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2001
    Panama City, FL
    Full Name:
    Craig

Ken,

I'll drive your Europa. I had a S2 years ago and am 6'-4" with size 12s ...Well maybe a few more lbs today than 30 years ago :)

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Jordan, If you are in the neighborhood I'll just let you drive my 308. No trade necessary. I owned a 1980 Mustang once, no need to cover that ground again.

Work on the muscles in your left leg though, mine has a STIFF clutch.

DJ

4. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    You're kidding! The S2 is an inch shorter than my car! How did you work the pedals??? Have you ever driven a TC? Loads more power, bigger inside. You sit a bit more upright too. S2's are lighter and the choice of some autocrossers since they don't need power as much as lightness.

5. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    It is always fun to experience something different, all sorts of cars have their quirks.

You see a guy pull up in a 328 with a banged bumped, cracked tail lights, chances are you would opt out of a swap with him. Then again equal trades don't exactly make for the best experience.

I have a right hand drive Volvo p1800 with a 2.3liter (stroked to 2.6) turbo motor running around 280hp on a good day. It is a real kick getting to drive both an agile little car and the right hand drive aspect of it. It puts a little speed into the vintage racer it once was. (it originally had a supercharged 1.8l at about 200hp) The restoration on that was a blast and it is more fun than my DB. Go figure.

Anyway, after a 20k upgrade/resto on that I was pleased to let some fellow p1800 owners drive it around. One guy brought his 550, and that was my first experience in that car. Later that year I bought one, but not entirely based on the swap, but heavily influenced by it.

6. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    JMG,

In WA state insurance goes with the driver, meaning if I borrow someone else's car and something happens, my insurance needs to cover the damages and not the owner of the car? That would make sense if I was at fault. What if it's someone else's fault, would it matter if I was driving or the owner? This is very interesting since I have several friends who have let me drive/borrow 360 spider, SL55, CL55, etc...

7. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I think you just have to get a feel for whether the person you are about to swap with is a gentle(man-person?). I started a similar thread on the old board about kids and cars. Quite a few people seemed to be saying that kids should not be allowed at car shows. The cars are too expensive, and some parents can be irresponsible, etc., etc..
    It is all about overreacting. One bad seed, whose kid scratches a car, or one swap, where the friend crashes your ride, should not mean that this is a bad practice in general.
    If my kid scratches your car, I will make it right. If yesterday, I accidently threw away Dan's car, I would have taken care of it, probably without involving any insurance companies.
    If you think that the person you are letting drive the car is the kind who takes reponsibilities for their actions, make their day, or, yourself, sample another ride. Life is too short otherwise.
    (Of course, there is the negative effect of sampling forbidden fruit: I am now scheming about how to trade up to the 550, in a few years...A silver one).

luke

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Luke: I feel the same with about children and the cars. WHat happens to me most often is it's a parent who says 'Look [Johnny, Catherine, what-have-you], it's a ferrari!' and the kid shyly walks over. Of course I'm more than happy to oblige, let them play with the buttons and whatnot. Of course you have to deal with the silly questions and comments from the parents like 'it's nice to be young' or 'not married, ar you?' or the gentleman who pointed out the twin turbos on my 550. :D But you take them in stride, smile and nod, and everyone walks away happy.

As for silver...maybe titanium, huh? :D And I think you're less than a few years away! :p ... I'm predicting that within months we'll see a couple of 550 questions posted... whenever you are ready, you are more than welcome ot borrow my car for an extended period of time.

--Dan

PS: Stupid smilies...I always mess these up...

9. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Luke,

I agree with you... I have a buddy who only lets friends borrow his toys (boat, seadoos, cars, etc..) without his presence only if they can afford to replace them if something happens to them. Guess it's a pretty good rule of thumb to go by...

10. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Thanks for the offer Spasso! Your 308 is gorgeous. Ive got strong legs and the clutch in my car is not easy either :) Ive driven a few other Mustangs and a stiff clutch seems to be the trend with them as opposed to some other sports cars Ive driven.

11. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    If Nick Mason were to offer me a test drive of his GTO at Goodwood, I would say no. I could not afforrd to replace it.
    Not that I know Nick Mason...
    :)

12. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    His GTO?! Hell, I'd probably go under if I stumbled into his drum kit!

13. Throttleman

Throttleman Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2003
    Pasadena,CA
    Full Name:
    Jay Ablett
    I know I'd be just like Sean. I have owned two vehicles that were in excess of 400HP and in fact encouraged some of my closest friends drive them (Blown '92 Mustang 5.0 Notchback, Blown '26 Model T). I went so far as to let my friend "borrow" one for days at a time because I knew that he derived so much joy from being behind the wheel. Few people in their lives have ever driven something so powerful and likely don't understand what makes people car crazy. It was so amazing to see "converts" go from car dissing to solemn horsepower believers ( in under 11 seconds I might add) :) One trip around the block and they knew why I spent all those hours working on them. So much joy came from such a small thing I was thrilled to be a part of it.

As far as Ferrari goes, these cars are works of art and near irreplaceable. I too would be timid behind the wheel of one that did not belong to me. While I am excited about the prospect of driving one, I think the only fair trade would be to let someone drive my steetrod. Not in the same class but likely just as powerful and likely a whole different driving experience!

Jerry- With that offer, I think I will put you in my will!

-Jay.

14. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Rookie

Nov 11, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Peter W.
    My rule for car swaps is always: "you break it you buy it". So I'd expect people to have enough expendable cash to cover the cost of replacing my car. This is a nice clean way to say no to people that may not understand a no.

15. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    cheers to you Throttleman, thats a great way to convert the timid naysayers out there. any one want to drive 455 4 speed trans am, trade for a short and careful drive in a 308 series?????

16. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Rudeboy, I totally agree. That is my understanding as well. If I break it, I pay to fix it.

However for me car swapping doesn't have to happen at hyper speeds at all. Swapped keys with Gilles27 recently and got to experience my first 328. We were doing legal speeds (I lead and did that deliberately). It was a tremendous joy and experience for me to compare his car with my 308QV. So close, yet so different. That's what I mean about the whole Ferrari experience. And from the exchange with Jack afterwards I think he enjoyed it just as much. After all he is now following me in replacing that plastic shift knob...
    :)

So in that tradition I would love to one day experience a GT/4 and a 512. Both of which I consider close relatives of the 3x8 series. Who knows, maybe one day I get lucky again.