Carb exterior “gunge “ | FerrariChat

Carb exterior “gunge “

Discussion in '308/328' started by Portofino, Dec 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Image Unavailable, Please Login There seems to be some brown / dark yellow “ gunge “ around the carbs .
    Car starts and runs well , picks up from low etc .Last carb rebuild was by a well known W London authorised F agent ,less than 3years ago .
    I,ve not had the airbox off but it seems to be on all 4 .

Should I be worried ? What exactly is it please ?

It’s a 208 GT4 with 34 Webber’s in case the pic looks different to the more familiar 40 Webber’s on the 308 .

NoGoSlow likes this.
  2. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Looks like varnished fuel

Martin308GTB likes this.
  3. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #3 Martin308GTB, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    It's the residue of fuel, after the volatile components have evaporated. Restake the lead plugs next time the carbs are off. One can see on the front two plugs, that it hasn't been done. Most folks don't perform it. Ultrasonic cleaning makes leaking lead plugs worse. Since I rebuild carbs myself, restaking the lead plugs got mandatory after I had the questionable experience of one carb seriously leaking on one plug right after a rebuild.

If interested; I have started a thread here many years ago about restaking the lead plugs.

I wouldn't worry too much, if the carbs are not seriously wet -most show a bit of these varnished fuel traces- but it's a telltale sign,that the lead plugs are not tight. And it's a bit much for three years since the last cleaning/rebuild IMHO. Though not knowing, how many miles you drove since.

One further hint; examine the 'V' below the carbs. Are there traces of leaking fuel, which look similar? If not, relax. I had puddles of that gunge there, which collected over the years.

Best from Germany
    Martin

thorn likes this.
  4. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Thx Martin .
    The V is dry and clean .Its done only about 3/4 K miles since the carb rebuild .The invoice is from the previous owners file that came with the car .

That rebuild thread would be interesting ps .

5. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    I see the lead plugs on here .
    They say every day is a school day on here , certainly is .

Martin308GTB likes this.
  6. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    JuLiTrO and vaccarella like this.
  7. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    You can also epoxy over the plugs while that are in place. Easy to do.

8. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Right. This would be the quick fix. But disturbs a future correct fix. As well as the hint from the YT-video using JB-weld as additional insurance.

Best from Germany
    Martin

9. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Epoxy will come right off with a chisel. Carb bodies are aluminum. If you are rebuilding carbs they shoud be restaked. If you want to leave on the car for a while then epoxy and restake when eventually rebuilt. I don’t know of another way than epoxy to stop the leaking short of a rebuild and restake