Carbon Ceramic Brakes - Good or Bad for Resale?? | FerrariChat

Carbon Ceramic Brakes - Good or Bad for Resale??

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 483hp, May 29, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    Does the optional carbon ceramic brake package enhance or subtract from the resale value of a car? For those of you who are not the first owners of a car where this brake system was an option, how much of a factor did it play in your decision process?

2. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I didn't get them. At over 15K they are not worth it to me. As far as resale goes, I think they would add, but you would not get back what you paid. Further down the line, potential buyers may actually discount them if they think the very expensive pad replacements were coming up. Plus, it's not like the steel brakes are crap. The stopping distances are nearly identical, but the cc system will certainly give better performance in hard use that you really can only get on a track. They do look cool, though.

Dave

3. PogueMoHone

PogueMoHone Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2004
    As the these brakes are better understood, and the reliability is proven, they will become a more desirable option.

I see more and more cars with it, and I think it will soon become the "must have" option.

If you look beyond some of the "naysayers" (Porsche guys too!) You will see that their popularity is growing.

I ordered them (but I left them off my Porsche a year ago). Now I get them with everything. That "initial bite" is to die for!

4. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Here's a question. You can choose from two used Ferraris. One has Carbon Ceramic brakes, the other conventional iron brakes. Both are the SAME price.

Reached a decision?

Let's toss another fact in. Assume that both cars will need new pads and rotors in a year. If you buy the Ferrari with conventional brakes, you can have iron rotors and regular pads installed for about $1800. Or, if you buy the Ferrari with CCM, expect a bill for $40,000 (yup!) for replacement rotors and pads. Well, if you're a good customer, the dealership might discount it to $34,000.

Wanna revisit that decision? :)

vty,

--Dennis

5. wmoon89

wmoon89 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2006
    They are fantastic for resale.

6. TBond8

TBond8 Karting

Feb 7, 2006
    CT,CA, Europe
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I have had them on other cars and they are excellent. I do now look for cars with them.

Regarding the resale. I believe that if you are looking to resell your car it would be wise to have it on your car. Considering the question of replacement cost. Most CC do not need new rotors for awhile. Pads yes. CC is supposed to have longer life compared to regular brake rotors. Also considering that so many here have discussed the issue of replacing the clutch in a F1 car and the cost. It seems that the CC brakes are not going to be an issue to replace unless the previous owner is really hard on the brakes at the track.

And this brings another question. How many here want to buy a Ferrari that has been tracked a lot but is not a challenege or track build car, but a road car?

Thanks,

7. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Dave, do you have any hard evidence to support this?

8. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Of course this is true. The standard brakes have enough braking power to lock the tires (if ABS allowed them to), so there is no way CC brakes would produce shorter stopping distances on the same tires, at least for the first few stops. As brake fade becomes an issue, the CC brakes will indeed produce shorter stopping distances.

Gary

9. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    Here's another question. If you were evaluating a car, would you figure in the cost of pads (and maybe rotors) into your valuation?

10. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    good on resale value, plus they last FOREVER!!
    here a costumer had a 360 CS and tracked it frecuently and another had a 360 spider with normal brakes, by the time the normal 360 was undergoing the 2nd brake rebuild(including discs) the CS with carbon disc had brakes that looked like NEW, they're cheaper on the long run

11. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Are you saying they had covered the same mileage in that time, but the CS had done lots of hard track work as well? How often were the CC pads replaced and have you factored in the fact that they cost 6 times as much as standard pads?

12. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    almost same mileage, and both were abused almost the same,
    i know the CC costs ALOT MORE but if you add up both brake services on the normal 360 with pads, and disks to the CS wich we never replaced them,the CS left the country so we never changed brakes while it was here

13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Once you have tasted them on the track , you cant go back ..

14. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    Point taken, the CC brake system is probably cheaper to run in the long term. However, a 2nd buyer does not know how hard you have run the car. Based on other discussions on the CC rotors, it seems it is difficult to quantify how close the rotors are to replacement in addition to some dealers suggesting rotor replacements every 2 pad changes. Therefore with so many conflicting opinions, the next buyer probably is going to be conservative.

Has anyone been aware of a discount on the final selling price because they priced in replacement costs as part of the negotiation? I have heard from another person that this might be the case.

The current astronomical cost of the rotors is definitely something that is an issue. I am also wondering if a lot of people are seeking cars with this option as a must have if they are not the first owner.

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ipersonaly would walk away from a car with the CC rotors. 1st reason is parts availability, second is cost. I heard it takes 4 months to make 1 rotor.

16. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    That I seriously doubt, unless you figure the owner of the car with standard brakes is buying only Ferrari OEM parts, and even then break-even must be at a very high mileage. You can replace conventional pads with excellent aftermarket product for about $300 for both axles, and as far as I know there are no aftermarket alternatives for CC pads. Even if the CC pads last 10 times as long as conventional, they are still more expensive per mile, to say nothing of the $15k option cost. Very high quality and reasonable cost aftermarket discs are also available for conventional brake cars.

There was an FChat thread a while back where the owner of a CC 430 said his pads were going to have to be replaced after two track days. There is no doubt in my mind conventional brakes are cheaper to buy and operate, and with upgraded pads and fluid, braking performance is similar enough, even on track, that the only factor remaining is appearance.

Bottom line, new or used, I would choose conventional brakes.

Gary

17. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Since the vast majority of owners will never get to experience the advantages of CC brakes, I genuinely feel this will become the "355 cambelt" and "F40 fuel tank" of the CS and 430! If they haven't been changed recently, the next owner will want enough of a discount to cover the cost of replacement, and in the case of CC's that's a lot of money!

Bear in mind that even checking the wear is an expensive operation, they have to be removed and weighed as a visual inspection is not enough to ascertain wear!!!!

Give me good old steel brakes any day...in fact, that's what I bought!

18. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I have a CS, with the CC brakes. I love the way they feel when braking. Plus, they LOOK awesome!!! Now that I am used to looking at my CC brakes, regular brakes look puny & little to me. I think CC brakes add a lot to a car, both visually and mechanically.

I understand pads run about $2,800, but the pads last a very long time. The rotors are expensive too, but they seem to last a LONG, LONG time based upon other people's experiences. I was even told from a local F-car dealer that I will probably never need to replace my rotors if I don't track my car.

Yes, they're expensive, but so is the car.

Put it into perspective - I just ordered tires for $1,500 - and they wear very quickly-

19. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    now if someone can quote some regular discs and pads for a 360??, so that we can compare it to the CC pads, and have a better perspective on the issue

ROLO

20. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    #20 ROLOcr, May 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. nleksan

nleksan Rookie

May 3, 2006
    Milford, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nick Leksan
    Those just look amazing.

22. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin
    What is the cost of converting cc system to a regular system? Is this a viable option for those who don't mind being branded as a heretic and are concerned about the cost of replacing the cc?

23. TBond8

TBond8 Karting

Feb 7, 2006
    CT,CA, Europe
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    People have mentioned that the second owner will wonder about the wear. Most first owners are not driving their F430 or CS enough miles to even begin to worry about replacing pads or rotors.

In my limited experience with CC brakes they last a very longtime. The issue of replacing the rotors are miles away. The pads will last a longtime as well. I am sure that like most things if you contact the actual company that makes the pads and rotors we all would find it will be cheaper to buy it from them instead of Ferrari.

In all the cars I have had them on ( not too many) I like the feel and the stopping distance is shorter. May be when we look at the difference it seems to be not that much but it can be the difference between getting in an accident or not. Which would you prefer?

Thanks,

24. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I priced 430 CC rotors for a customer today. >$8000/ea

25. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    and for normal discs and pads??