Carbon Ceramics | FerrariChat

Carbon Ceramics

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Mafiaboy1975, Mar 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Learnt something new today. Our cars eat the CC pads if you do a track day.

My first time on track in my California T and I’m pretty certain I must have used half the pads on the rear with about 300km of track riding for the day. I know the brakes are working with the F1 traction system but flip at that rate I doubt I’ll be doing that again.

Thought the my would go a a bit longer than that!!!

Anyone have an idea how long the rotors last? I have heard they loose “weight” so to speak and then need replacing.

Any idea how many pad changes a typical rotor could take before needing replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    First thing's first. The issue with running the Cali T on the track, is that it does not have a CT-OFF or at least a RACE mode. When in sport, those rears are working hard to make ESC things happen. If you can run the car in ESC off, your rears will be a lot happier.

As for pads? Well, you need to consider running a better track pad on a heavy car like the Cali T. You can easily change all pads in under an hour, so you should just use something like Pagid RSC2 for track use.

As for disc wear? They are not the most resilient discs, that's for sure. The whole thing about weight, seems really odd. I've heard it mentioned a bunch of times, but here's what I've seen done and know from actual Ferrari race techs. The wear indication is based on an algorithm in the cars electronics. It does not measure anything in reality. Want to know if a disc is done? Simple. Just touch it. If it no longer feels glass smooth, but rather a bit rough in places, it's done. Nothing fancy about finding that out. I cannot tell you how long they last for you. I can tell you this though. They wear a lot faster once they get really hot. On a car that is tracked often, less than 5000 miles. On a normal car? 15-20k miles with the occasional track day.
    The Surface Transform discs for the 458 will fit the Cali, so those are worth considering in the future. The CCST type disc is a much harder wearing disc than the stock CCM. Note that CCST discs can also be resurfaced down the line.

3. Mafiaboy1975

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Thanks for this !! Really helpful and I hear you in the pads. Will check out your suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You're welcome

The pad shape you'll need is the following.

8091 for the front
    4906 for the rear

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Mafiaboy1975 likes this.
  5. Mafiaboy1975

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Il Co-Pilota do you know if the G Carbon Ceramic Rotor Disc from a Corvette Z06 fit the California T, the look almost identical.

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    They won't fit. The rotors themselves are in fact the same size and type, but he rotor hat uses both different offset, bolt pattern and hub bore.
    But looking at the 458 discs, I believe they are interchangeable with the Cali T discs. The rotors themselves are 100% the same, but there might be a slight difference in hat offset. If they are directly interchangeable, you can use the 458 CCST style discs from Surface Transform. If the hats need a different offset, i know from personal experience that they are willing to work things out and a nice company to deal with. There are several advantages to these discs. They are cheaper than OE discs, they last a lot longer than OE discs especially in track conditions, and for dead cheap they can be resurfaced. Price here in Europe is 9100 £ for a complete set, and resurfacing is 1200 £ per set. They now have a distributor in the US as well. Shoot me a PM if you want to know more about these brake discs.

Finley couzens likes this.