Carey - F! Carbon neutral by 2030 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Carey - F! Carbon neutral by 2030

Discussion in 'F1' started by TonyL, Nov 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    If F1 goes carbon neutral by 2030, I predict that Greta Thunberg will be WDC.

SimCity3 likes this.
  2. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Completely agree.

our local council has just proposed to ban all diesel vehicles in the city centre (seriously!); in the same week they supported plans to expand the local airport! The most annoying thing of this is I pay these idiots salary!!!

agree F1 is a drop in the ocean in terms of the impact they directly make; that said I think if done correctly they have a brilliant opportunity to get a message across to a huge population in all countries.

don’t get me wrong I’m first to put my hand up as a hypocrite happy to do more recycling/ protect the environment whilst driving my 348 :) (still if the local town bans diesels I will be taking the Ferrari to work as according to them petrol is fine!!!)

william and SimCity3 like this.
  3. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

There are plenty of petrol engines which are remarkably clean.

More importantly: When will Chase Carey's moustache be carbon neutral ?

A348W likes this.
  4. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

You can get hydrogen and oxygen by the electrolysis of water. So what we do is we take a battery, and we charge it using a coal fired electric plant. Then we take that battery and use it for electrolysis so that we get hydrogen to burn in our cars. Bada bing! Clean energy.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Turn that coal plant to nuclear and you're greener than an unripe banana!
    T

william likes this.
  6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

"coal fired electric plant" ?
    Do you still have them ?
    I though they went out of fashion when the Soviet Union collapsed !!!

7. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Who cares about being "carbon neutral" . :rolleyes:

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Governments do. Never heard of the Kyoto Protocol ?

The Kyoto Protocol is an international agreement that aimed to reduce carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions and the presence of greenhouse gases (GHG) in the atmosphere. The essential tenet of the Kyoto Protocol was that industrialized nations needed to lessen the amount of their CO2 emissions.

Apparently 192 parties signed that agreement, that now regulates our level of pollution.

9. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Good luck getting any targets met by Russia and China :D

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  10. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Of course I heard, but I'm on the sceptical group that does not believe that CO2 is a problem. ;)

Challenge and Jack-the-lad like this.
  11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe

12. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Or India.

13. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Retiring a bunch in the US. I suspect cheap nat gas more than a desire to save mother earth.
    Check out the average age on those puppies!

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=40212

T

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You believe what you want, but it's governments that decide policies, not you.

I don't agree with taxes myself, but I still have to pay them !

15. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Governments care about power and control. If they believed pumping more carbon gave them more power and control, they would pump more carbon.

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Well, that's what Trump has done, no ?

He denounced the US commitment to the Kyoto Protocol to get elected !

In Europe, people are more ecologically minded, so politicians have to adopt environmental programs.

17. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Somebody at the FIA has seemingly forgotten the essence of F! - ie the pinnacle of motor racing. Is it now going to be handicapped!

I think most can see through the absurdity of the "green" culture and especially a sport such as global motor racing on the scale of F! and we havent even touched rallying and all the other associated series!

The logistics is mind boggling when you consider the transportation and freight cargoed around the world not to mention the supporting role of fans, media and the supply chain. Its immense, so for me its rather pointless unless you scrap the whole circus and concentrate on local racing events.

A start would be to rationalise where the events take place in the first place ie

Australia then to Bahrain then to China then Azerbaijan then Spain & Monaco (sensible) to all the way to Canada and then back to France is a perfect example of how stupid the current calendar is organised.

Tony

18. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    In Europe, people are indoctrinated, so politicians can control them. :D

CO2 is the gas of life. It doesn't cause any harm, on the contrary, the more you have it the more it's good for the environment. But politicians and private interests took over real science to create new means to control people lives.

Challenge and TonyL like this.
  19. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    He ran on a platform of less government control of the economy and peoples’ lives, including crippling energy policies, the net positive effects of which have yet to be scientifically confirmed.

My final comment on this lest it be moved to P&R.:)

TonyL likes this.
  20. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Without wishing to politicize this carbon neutral debate but this lecture is a fair representation of we are. Worth watching

The renewable market is huge and very profitable, not to mention biblical rises in energy prices - who does that benefit and whats returned to save the planet!

Just saying dont bite me:)

william likes this.
  21. ilappassionatodicavallino

Nov 2, 2016
    Texas
    Carbon Dioxide is NOT a pollutant, it is a small but very important part of the atmosphere without which we would not survive. The entire global cooling/global warming/climate change deception was launched from a false premise and is nothing more than a power grab. When we hopefully wise up to the game, the people who come up with this rubbish will manufacture yet another "crise d'extinction" in an attempt to convince normal people to hand over their money and control of their lives. World keeps spinning. Nothing new under the sun. I celebrate every so-called "Earth Day" by firing off a 10 pound CO2 fire extinguisher into the precious atmosphere. It looks cool and harms NOTHING. Ha! I also drive my F430 almost everyday, spewing hydrocarbons into the air. It is joyous

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I have been in favour of nuclear all my life, so it's refreshing to see it so well argumented.

I'm 360 Canuck and TonyL like this.
  23. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Anyone who knows anything about geologic history knows that there have been periods in the past when the CO2 levels were higher than today. What happened? Plant life exploded to take advantage of the resource. Why do we call people who hate plant food green? Shouldn't they be the browns? Every time I drive my Ferrari I'm feeding plants, so I'm the green one. :)

Unless they can get jets running on something like alcohol, F1 will never be carbon neutral. This entire effort is retarded and, ironically, a waste of resources.

Let's go to a V16 formula. lol

Flavio_C, SimCity3 and TonyL like this.
  24. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I wonder who really cares if f1 is carbon neutral?

25. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    What do they do with all that carbon fiber after a season is complete ?