Carey Loftin Bizzarrini stories--trying to remember any details | FerrariChat

Carey Loftin Bizzarrini stories--trying to remember any details

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by bitzman, Jul 23, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Carey Loftin was a Hollywood stuntman I met back i n the day who I am convinced had his career prolonged because he drove a series of Bizzarrinis. He told me once he had a fuel leak and wrapped some tape around the leaking line but it caught fire and cracked his windshield and he dumped hat car for $3000, Could that figure be right? That seems about what you'd pay for a windscreen. Also i read somewhere he and other stuntmen were playing with cars off road and it sounded like they smashed one just trying to use it like a Jeep. Is that true? Then there was that Sebring race where two Bizzarrinis (or Iso A3C's) got torn in half. But didn't Carey's mechanic Mal Balchowsky (creator of the Ol' Yellow race cars) put two halves together again to make one car? Was that one of Carey's street cars? Another time he ran out of brakes in a street Bizzarrini and put the car against the center barrier to slow it to a stop--hate to think what that repair cost....Anybody else hear that story? I think all these stories add to the legend but would like to hear if anyone else heard them....also was he ever in WWII? Seems like he was old enough to have been

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
  3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I was wondering if the no. 291 red Bitz sold at Amelia belonged to the man who also owns the Manta designed by Bizzarrini. I believe if it was, that was the car that Bill DeCarr insisted on putting 275GTB headlights surrounds on but no doubt those were removed. I don't remember what color it was when DeCarr bought it. I think I told the Manta owner about it but it's all a fog now several decades later. It had been owned by a guy who couldn't decide whether to live in SF area or LA and decided on SF so sold everything he had here.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    CAREY'S OLD CAR?
    I found a picture of a white Iso Corsa that has a wild paint scheme. I lost the name of the page that featured it but remember it was sold to Mark Boen of Mt, Baldy village but he has no doubt re-sold it, i saw it while strolling through a warehouse full of cars in Torrance. Anybody know who owns it now (it was odd they let me walk around that warehouse but hey, I'm friendly
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login