Carlos Sainz Driving a Ferrari Dino 246 GT | FerrariChat

Carlos Sainz Driving a Ferrari Dino 246 GT

Discussion in '206/246' started by er72, Sep 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
  2. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    It's actually sad that he's just now experienced this.

mcimino likes this.
  3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Surprising he knew how to drive a manual gearbox!

V12addict and ingegnere like this.
  4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I am actually surprised anybody under the age of 30 really knows how to drive a manual.

My 17-year-old man nephew drives a manual every day, But none of his friends know how to do it.

I also think it’s pretty cool to watch these guys, who have the ultimate in modern technology race wise as a reference, offer their commentary.

I think it’s actually a pretty cool thing.

5. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Wow, you really do have to hand it to Ferrari for kicking itself in the plums for advertising this Classiche prepared car with so many fundamental faults and then stick a cherry on top of it by getting their F1 driver to advertise it.

As the manufacturer of the car how could they could make such stupid mistakes. Incredible stupidity.

6. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I was at the Classiche driving academy about ten feet away from him on the day they filmed this. It was pretty surreal to watch. He gave some VIP woman a ride. It was unclear if the car belonged to Ferrari (they said they keep a few classics in their stable, but I only remember the Daytona and the 308s, Mondial), or if it was being delivered to the client and therefore they gave her the ride as a bonus.

I would post pics but we were admonished that we could not publish any unofficial photos of Sainz. They had a factory photography crew on hand at all times.

mcimino likes this.
  7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    in the car ?

Typical Ferrari, perhaps they should concentrate on giving to guy a decent F1 car than all the internal BS.

8. Eltel246

Eltel246 Karting

May 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Charles Hill
    Hi Tony, What are the issues with the car. Has it been shown anywhere?

TonyL likes this.
  9. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Yes. Actually, you can see her in the passenger seat in the video.

10. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Not exactly what I was referring to .............:)

11. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I read that first thing this morning, forgive my slow uptake;)

TonyL likes this.
  12. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Correct, they keep Ferraris in their stable, hence the reason you may not see a Dino. ;)

13. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Huh? Sound like a hater dude. It’s a period car. They all had flaws, even your favorite. For me, cool old car being driven well. And I like Carlos. So Whatever…

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    On the contrary my friend but hold on before you ride into the sunset. I have been a passionate Ferrari fan for around 50 years and own a very nice (but not perfect) 246 GT Dino. My reason for the outburst was purely because Ferrari sell the classiche brand which gives the impression these cars meet a very high standard in restoration and or originality. Given they made the car I am gobsmacked at how inaccurate this car is and moreover how the whole process is conducted, especially when they relieve people of huge sums of money for a worthless certificate. Its a complete farce and pretty much sums up their 21st century business model.

As for Sainz I bet he was impressed with the little Dino, he probably lapped Fiorano quicker than the current F1 car....

Best
    Tony

Nuvolari likes this.
  15. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Maybe I'm failing to grasp context. Is the video an ad for their classiche services? If so, and the car isn't accurate, then yes that would be corporate marketing failure. However, given I'm not a student of Dino's nor was I paying particular attention to each detail of the car as it was being driven around the track, it never occurred to me some part on the car may be amiss. So, your criticism came off as really harsh and unnecessary. In other words, for me, the video was nothing more than a brief form of entertainment with a car company and a driver I appreciate. But I'm so happy for you that you own one of these beauties. I remember working as an orderly in a busy urban emergency room when I was 17/18 years old. Two ER docs were discussing cars and one of them was buying a Dino. I'll never forget thinking ..."damn, that would be an awesome car to own some day"... Alas, I have settled for a 458.

Cheers

16. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    No problem, I dont know the intention of the video but my guess is that they are promoting the classiche brand, ie the number plate ad. I call it a brand as they have registered the "classiche" as a trademark so can only speculate the high profile location and celebrity driver is to boost the brand and moreover the income.

I think the criticism is totally justified given what they charge and the level of craftsmanship. OK only dino officiandos would notice the subtle errors but that makes the errors made even worse for them. I would expect them to be telling us what is correct, not the other way around. Nothing Ferrari do is a brief form of entertainment, do you follow the F! team, that's painful to watch but i get where you are coming from.

Yes the 246 Dino is a special car in my book and one of the best designs in the world for a small production car, I was lucky to buy one 24 years ago when values were low.

I'd settle for the 458 as well.;)

Best

Tony

17. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I agree with you Tony. I enjoyed the video but was hoping for a more in-depth and serious tone due to the specialness of the Dino and a current Ferrari F1 driver experiencing it. Porsche treats their older products in a much different tone, whether it’s a 356, 914, 928 or 959. I think it’s still early days for Ferrari in this space. The fact that they’re showing and driving a Dino is a memorable moment.

TonyL likes this.
  18. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    This is Europe, here the driving schools use manuals just because they're cheaper.

I'm still a bit puzzled about how the manual gearbox is like something exotic for the Americans.

19. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Yes, it’s a bit sad. It started early on in the US by popularizing the automatic gearbox and a/c. The Europeans were slow to respond to US tastes. The Japanese were quick to respond. What is really sad is that Ferrari, Aston Martin, etc no longer offer a manual. Alfa decided not to offer one to the US in their Giulia or anywhere in their 4C. I see that as really sad and I think it’s been part of their failure in the US. Again, Porsche had responded to the enthusiast, even if it’s only to a small audience of opinion makers. Just remember, if you don’t offer it, you can’t buy it!

20. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Totally agree, very sad. What i don't understand is why Ferrari keeps increasing hp in every new model and they call it " more fun to drive" as most of the power translates to more top speed and very quick acceleration that is useless in today's traffic. If you were driving these cars on the track all the time maybe yes , but as pure sports cars forget it.

21. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, in the real world, customers first and foremost see the numbers. It´s the same with the size: if I can get more space for the same money I get it, even if I´m not going to use it. And the cars grow bigger and bigger.

V12addict likes this.
  22. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    That’s the recipe for creating the generic products we’re now experiencing. They’re all fighting for a piece of the same pie rather than offering us something different and more compelling. Electrification is the next frontier. At least Porsche is making a statement with the 911 while also diversifying into electrification with its other products. It then becomes an “and” brand rather than an “or” brand.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1125109_an-electric-porsche-911-isn-t-coming-before-2030-if-ever-for-one-reason

V12addict likes this.
  23. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003

Well, if we´re talking about "generic recipes", IMO Porsche can´t give any lessons to anybody. They´re still selling the 911 because they weren´t unable of inventing anything else. The Boxster looks like a smaller 911, just to avoid that their loyal fans get confused with some creativity, and the rest: SUVs, hybrids and now an electric car. Just what they´re supposed to do these days.

The PDK will bury soon their last manual cars and the 911 will have to be hybrid, like it or not, if they want to keep selling it. I have no problem with that, one has to go with the times. I just hate that all their cars look like something made 70 years ago.

24. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Agree, Not being a Porsche fan my understanding is that Porsche do support the older classic cars with OEM spares whereas Ferrari dont and rely on others to produce spare parts.

Their protection of the "brand" is renowned but do little to support the older cars. I wonder if Ferrari buy spares from the likes of Superformance or Dinoparts.de. That would be ironic.

Perhaps we should all fear Ferrari "classiche" getting involved in factory support for OEM parts for obvious reasons!

Best

Tony

Eltel246 likes this.
  25. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Both Porsche and Mercedes have strong support for older cars with factory supplied parts. Mercedes has the Classic Center with great parts. Granted they produced more cars in the 50s and 60s than Ferrari, but its nice to see so many of their older cars on the road close to factory specs. FCA at this time is not interested in this concept. Alfa Romeo and Maserati are in the same situation and it will get worse now that FCA has joined PSA and looks like their main focus is expanding markets in Middle East and China.