Carpet Glue | FerrariChat

Carpet Glue

Discussion in '206/246' started by racerboy9, Jun 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Getting ready to install my NOS carpet pieces under the dash and foot well areas. Troweled on outdoor carpet glue can be a little messy but you can make adjustments to the carpet after you put it in place. Spray adhesive like 3M High Strength 90 is supposed to bond well but no room for error. Anyone have any experience to share? I've used the search function and browsed the web but the more you look the less conclusive the answer is.

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    3M High strength = perfect, but its not that strong you cannot pull off

I found the best way was to - Lay carpet in place, then lift one side only ie 1/2. Spray on glue (both sides) and let it go slightly tacky, roll back into place . Then roll back the other side and glue as before. Mask up any areas you don't want glued as it does have a tendency to sometimes go where you don't want it!!

Tony

3. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Thanks Tony! I will go with 3M.

4. rbsloan11

rbsloan11 Karting

Apr 25, 2007
    Carmel
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I agree with Tony and have used the 3M product with good results, and agree that with carpet you have to be super careful not to get overspray on the face of the carpet or elsewhere. I recently have changed to Weldwood contact cement which is brushed onto each side (and similarly allowed to become dry before placing the two surfaces together) and can be purchased in a gel thickness that keeps it from dripping from the brush. I think both are strong but the Weldwood after curing is stronger.

5. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I was told never use anything out of a spray can by my upholsterer.
    He gave me a tin of glue and to apply like rob said. I’ve used weldwood, still hanging on...

6. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I've heard anything out of a spray can wasn't good enough as well. I used the 3M 90 to glue the carpet and it worked fine for that application. I could pull it back off which in this case was a good thing as I needed to reposition a piece. I have used DAP Landau Roof glue and Weldwood and a bunch of other 3M and other contact cements but the best one for attaching vinyl has been 3M Neoprene 1357 contact adhesive. Really good, tough stuff that has high heat resistance, is hard to pull off and doesn't allow vinyl to start pulling up at the edges. Use MEK to clean up and thin if necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WXL202/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The idea of a glue is to bond A to B with adequate strength and no stronger than the material you are glueing. So fixing a carpet to the floor doesn't require the strongest glue on the planet and a breaker hammer to remove it in years to come :)
    Nothing wrong with spray glue, if you follow the instructions and coat both sides and let if go tacky before assembly. I've fitted thousands metres of insulation with it and never had a problem.
    Tony

8. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I have used 3M-90 glue several times for carpet gluing. Works like a charm and never had any issues.
    Best
    Peter

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Weldwood.
    I avoid overspray from aerosol cans as myself, I can be "tidy challenged".
    Let's not mention the time I got it on my arm and let it dry...ouch!
    :)

PS - I found Weldwood great for attaching window felt "wiper" strips to interior door faces

10. 27811

27811 Karting

Jun 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Hypertrash
    Has anyone ever seen a non-spray 3M-90 glue? Or something similar than can be applied with a popsicle stick?

11. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    This doesn't answer your question directly, but I have often sprayed glue into a paper cup or the lid of an aerosol paint can - then used a paint brush of other applicator to put glue right where I wanted it.

27811 and racerboy9 like this.
  12. choo121

choo121 Rookie

Aug 3, 2020
    USA (currently Turkey)
    Full Name:
    Jimmy Simmons
    Absolutely agree with you. 3M products are the best choice. And thank you for your advice.

13. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I have used all of the above mentioned products and used 3M 90 for under the dash carpet and it works great. For gluing vinyl I only use one product and it is the best I've seen. Some others initially seem fine but after time lose their grip or the edges of the vinyl start to curl up.
    3M Neoprene High Performance Contact Adhesive 1357, Gray-Green