Carrera GT Yay or Nay? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Carrera GT Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by BlazinBWF, May 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I'm afraid the current prices for CGTs are just that,"current" and will continue their rise since that car is already a "Classic".
    Last year ,when I could get a nice one for low $300k ,I got greedy and decided to wait a while longer hoping for them to drop below $300k and I am chasing the market ever since.
    I am reluctant to pay over $400k for "new" CGT but I am also convinced that they will continue upward....

2. Zzono

Zzono Karting

Apr 21, 2008
    CGT will definitely do the same what F40 did or does.
    Some CGT´s will be more expensive or some much driven CGT´s will be offered with lower prices.

3. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt

hmmmm being cheeky....

ofcourse it's not. it's just that the nickname widowmaker was first given to the 996GT2....I guess that makes the CGT a 'gravedigger from hell' :D

when you insert the key into the ignition you get 'your time's up' on the dash :D

4. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    #29 absent, May 31, 2008
    Last edited: May 31, 2008
    +1.
    "Widow maker" was a well known(and well deserved) moniker for the 996 GT2.
    997 GT2 is a *******cat in comparison....

5. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt

not really that much of a pcat.....it's sheer speed can get you in trouble quite quickly.....pasm on the GT2 is rather generous and can get the inexperienced in serious trouble. if porsche would not have added pasm and tc to the 997 GT2 they would not have sold more than a handfull of cars...

likewise imagine a scud without safety net. guaranteed trouble.

6. DaudiW.

DaudiW. Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe & USA
    Full Name:
    William David

Fortunately i have driven both cars. A few months back i was planning on getting a "hyper car" less than 3-4 yrs old (i.e replacing the SV.)
    I have been on the search for the past 4 months having driven a 599GTB, F430 and Cgt within the time. Most recently I experience a 6spd 430 coupe. I am sure you know everything you need to know about the 430's driveability, but comparing it to a Cgt is almost not a valid comparism. The 430 seems much more refined, yet perfectly aggressive as opposed to overly aggressive. Driving the cgt is much like driving a lighter GT2 with a shorter clutch throw and techy/precise gear gate with narrow gaps. Its a car that intimidates anyone who drives it for the first time - and it is quite unforgiving much like the 996 GT2 is.

I would personally say the Diablo SV is an easier super car to have fun with and take to the limit. The cgt is quite easy to drive once tamed, but taming will theoretically cost you the majority of the fun (if you are impatient.) If you are someone who has always driven sports cars (or is used to porsche's clutches), then you can most likely jump in and go with a mediocre level of confidence - your confidence will slowly increase as you get used to the light flywheel and throtle response. It took me 10 - 15 minutes to completely comprehend the bet way to drive the car.

7. DaudiW.

DaudiW. Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe & USA
    Full Name:
    William David
    With its technology, efficiency and germanic styling it is at the Koniggsegg's level. The Scuderia is quite perfect like the Stradale - but if you master the Cgt (as you should after spending 400k), there is no substitute unless you go for a more expensive Zonda F. The only other consideration is a murcielago LP640

8. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt

murcie lp640 is certainly a supercar....but CGT has it etched out in terms of track usability.

9. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
    Well I have no idea, I will work on getting one and we will see what happens.

I have driven my friends Murcielago when it first came out and while it has loads of grip and power my friend just had too many problems with it, the gear shift actually broke off and he also had some kind of major engine problem, it was all under warranty but he ended up selling.

10. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
    As a technical exercise yes the Cayenne Turbo is truly amazing but as an SUV its rubbish. Its too small inside you cannot fit anything in the trunk and to my knowledge they only make high performance tires for it so when the snow comes it had might as well be a 997 Turbo.

I personally find the Range Rover to be a much more comfortable car to drive as well. They way the Cayenne’s transmission was set up it felt like an automated manual when you lift off the gas the thing slows down way to fast. But thats just me, my aunt got a Cayenne Turbo S and they liked it so much my uncle got one.

I originally wanted a G55 but my dealer told me that there is suppose to be a new one coming out so I should wait.

11. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    All true. I had mine for 2.5 years and 8,000 miles. Great car. CGT is a supercar. 430S is a production car. This is not a semantic excersise - there is a big difference. I am getting a 430S soon so I have nothing but respect for the car. CGT is a contemporary of the Enzo

12. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    did i read that right??? worth far more than an enzo? enzo's are selling at a mil, gt's are selling at 350k. how do u figure its worth more? doesnt the market dicatate that?

and how does it have far greater perfromanace than an slr?? its not even faster that a regular slr much less a 722.

13. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think the point was based on the engineering and pedigree more than the current cost/value. The CGT was supposed to be a RACE CAR but the FIA changed the game midstream as they like to do and Porsche needed to do something with it. So it was engineered for the track and then tamed for the street (barely!) and I believe that was the point, along w/ future collectibility of the car...

YMMV!
    James
    Austin, TX

14. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    The engineering and performance of the CGT are greater then that of the Enzo. Keep in mind, the Enzo is my favorite modern supercar by quite some margin...

And
    No SLR will compare against a CGT on a track, or on the street.

the SLR's steering is too heavy, too numb- it will stay turned after you stop giving effort... not returning to top dead center/ straight. It will track crevasses in the road.... requiring 2 hands on the wheel at all times.

The SLR has a slow automatic, with odd gear ratios, particularly from 4th to 5th gear, the suspension is too loose on track even for a street car, it doesn't look as exotic, doesn't sound exotic, and barely goes more then your tuned corvette (or slower) There isn't a LSD in the SLR... just clever traction control.

It is too heavy

That said, then there are the lap times.... and then the SLR is just another GT car gone awry (wrong) the 599 is much nicer as a GT.

and speaking of the market, that is why SLR's have dropped over 100K even for new miles cars... and the CGT has crept back to over MSRP ;) Try and find a non-silver car, and that price only goes north.

15. Zzono

Zzono Karting

Apr 21, 2008
    you should know that the number of the production is too small in contrast to CGT..
    only "400" enzos were produced and there are still over 1000 CGTs.
    Ferrari also owns exclusivity and so on.
    But by looking at points of engineering, performance, quality and stability, enzo has a lot of things to learn from CGT..

16. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john

uhmmm- clearly u have no real world of experience of the cgt vs the slr. its ok, most dont. i can assure u the cgt CANNOT pull on an slr in straight line acceleration. on the track the slr is often FAR faster as the cgt is a handful which requires high driving skill to get the most of. heck- even most magazines show them dead even so im not sure where u get ur information from.

i wont comment on ur other remarks which are clearly subjective.

resale values are a product of supply and demand. slr convertibles are holding strong at 500 plus and my slr 722 can EASILY get 50k over list. mb simply ,made too many regular slr's.

now with all that said i LOVE the CGT and would like to add a nice black one to my garage.

17. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Not so sure that the Enzo is lacking in any "engineering, performance, quality and stability" relative to the CGT or in absolute terms. They are both fantastic - just different

18. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    I'm happy you have a SLR.

However, I have real world experience with both a CGT and SLR, thank you. None were 722's, or convertibles... we will find out later with telemetry if our suspicions are right that a CGT pulls harder 150+ then the SLR does.

as to the way the steering feels/ behaves... this comes from three people I know who own/ or have driven them. Three people which have known for some time, and I trust their views.

19. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm pretty sure he has experience with both...

20. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    well ur close by so ur welcome to join us at the track this summer.

21. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john

22. MikeMac

MikeMac Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Is it really that hard to type YOU instead of U, and to use a shift key every now and then? I have a headache trying to read your posts.

23. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    then dont read them.

24. Zzono

Zzono Karting

Apr 21, 2008
    I absolutely admit without doubt that enzo is stunning, sexy and very special.
    but unfortunatly, I have never driven CGT and Enzo..I only had the opportunity to be the passanger in Enzo.
    and the owner (dad of my best friend) said that Enzo´s accleration is much better than any else.
    but he said when driving Enzo with high speed, Enzo loses its stability and in contrast to Enzo, CGT is more stabilized inspite of the high speed.

I cannnot judge if his comment is right or not because i have never driven myself.

25. Zzono

Zzono Karting

Apr 21, 2008
    Actually, it is impossible to compare CGT with SLR..
    When you argue that "on the track the slr is often FAR faster", I cannot understand it..but it is okay.
    What i just want to say is that SLR has completely another intention. MB´s aim is to present a super GT with comfort and high performance
    But in contrast to MB, Porsche presents a race car without comfort and without a big place.

Most German mangazines never come to a conclusion..It means they even do not know which car is better because these two cars are way different.