Carrera GT | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Carrera GT

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Sterling Sackey, Jan 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. v tach

v tach Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 14, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Hi guys!

I’m in the market for a higher mileage car that I plan on driving. I’m open to colors. Please contact me with any leads!

Best,

Vivek

2. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

Ask and you shall receive. LTS "Cocoa":

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  4. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

rmolke85 and joe sackey like this.
  5. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

6. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Some more photos of the Carrera GT literature from Porsche I posted earlier. I don't have express confirmation, but it seems that this package was given primarily to those who placed deposits on the car prior to production, which seems likely given some of the language used within. The published date shows 01/2003. Some of the information within the hardcover book is rather interesting and not anything I had seen previously online or in magazine articles. I will begin to disseminate this info soon, after I have time to sit down and read it cover to cover.

7. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Please follow my Instagram @SterlingSackey (https://www.instagram.com/sterlingsackey/) as I have been covering the PTS Carrera GTs one-by-one on there.

I found this car below, a previously unknown RoW PTS car to my knowledge, apparently originally delivered to the Netherlands. Any further info on this car amongst those in the know?

To my eyes, this color looks like Aventurine Green (popular on 993 911s), but it's hard to say if that's an exact match. The car appears to have the GBW Brake Caliper Coated in Red option as well.

NürScud and rmolke85 like this.
  8. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Already over 20,000 views on this thread. It seems like the collector community at large is finally gaining a proper understanding of these cars and how special they are. This is, perhaps, evidenced by the number of former owners I know who are back in the market for another one!

9. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

10. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Here is the PTS Giallo Modena (often referred to as the "Fly Yellow" car) Carrera GT. I did a post regarding this car's history on my Instagram account. The car was with its original owner until fairly recently, and was driven quite a lot compared to most USA examples. It now resides with its 2nd owner and features some rather interesting interior and exterior cosmetic modifications.

JC776 likes this.
  11. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

12. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

joe sackey likes this.
  13. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

joe sackey likes this.
  14. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow. The lighting in that first photo made the car look perfectly divided into yellow on the left and black on the right. I had to go to the next photo to be sure that was not the case. I though, who would do such a thing to such a beautiful car?

15. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
  16. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

This car has been available for a while, interesting example to be certain. The miles are 8,750 and the asking price is $789,500.00 according to the current eBay listing.

17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Seems high asking for that mileage

Sent from my 16M

18. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

And perhaps for this specific car as well.

19. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

CGT Factory A/C & Radio Delete

Check out this Carrera GT currently for sale at Porsche Center Stuttgart in Germany, optioned from the factory without A/C or radio. Note the "V10" script block-off plate where the Porsche Online Pro radio would normally sit, and the lack of a snowflake icon (to indicate A/C) on the temperature knob.

A/C and radio were technically optional on the Carrera GT. This car would be optioned with "574 - No Air Conditioning Desired" and "691 - No Radio Desired." Most Carrera GTs ended up with the opposite, "572 - Air Conditioning" and "690 Porsche Online Pro CD Radio," and so far I haven't tracked down any USA cars optioned otherwise.

As usual with many European Carrera GTs, this particular example has been properly driven, with 33,000 km, or just over 20,000 miles.

20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Would be curious to know higher mileage CGT’s out there and what there maintenance histories have been. Mine is at 9200 miles so far nothing but annual services. I did replace battery. Nothing major. Clutch is still good.

Sent from my 16M

21. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

For comparison, here are the standard radio and standard climate controls.

The Porsche "Online Pro" radio found in these cars was produced for Porsche by Becker. It offers not only the obvious audio functions in conjunction with the Bose sound system, but also, "a navigation system and a tri-band telephone complete with hands-free operation as well as e-mail and internet functions." To me, this doesn't seem to be the ideal device or car to browse e-mails whilst driving, but Porsche has you covered should you so desire.

22. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

There are many different schools of thought on whether to follow Porsche's "by the book" recommendations of engine-out or not.

Personally, I would not conduct an engine-out service on a CGT unless there is a specific need for it. There are many, many cars that have had this service done and not been put back together properly, with harnesses out of place, bolts missing, etc. Most of the "major" service items can be conducted with the engine-in.

However, if an engine-out is truly needed, I would spend the extra money to send it to a renowned technician known for Carrera GT work. The local Porsche dealer is not always the best answer.

23. 6Speed 430

6Speed 430 Karting

Jul 6, 2012

+1000000

When I was looking for mine, I think I was one of the few who specifically wanted a car with its original clutch (of course with a good reading), and one where the engine hadn't come out.

While restoring a car at Porsche Classic I specifically brought this topic up and every tech said unless the car hits its milage requirement or there is an issue, there is no reason to remove the engine.

24. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

That's great to hear there is some official support for this method.

I think, when writing the service recommendations, Porsche took the easy way out and simply tacked on the "4-year" requirement to be safe for such items as valve clearance, rather than actually doing the research necessary to determine when such a labor-intensive service would be needed. The logical, German engineers also likely assumed that the car would be driven often rather than sitting idle, and didn't think too deeply about the implications of a car that isn't gaining significant mileage every 4 years.

The reality is that there should really be a 2-year engine-in, 4-year engine-in (including the typical major items like belts, spark plugs, O-rings, etc.) and separate instructions for when an engine-out is required (probably based on miles and/or inspection rather than time).