Carrera GT | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Carrera GT

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Sterling Sackey, Jan 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    #51 rmolke85, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    The other thing to note which I have said many times before this cars lineage is that of the plastic cars, the composite cars, the monocoque cars, the prototypes. Porsche celebrated its decades long endurance racing by creating the CGT for the plebeians. Listen to some in car rennsport videos of these flat 8 engines from lets say a 908 and they even sound similar! Those cars wail too.

904,906,910,907,908,917,956,962,98’ GT1 EVO,CGT

Every other street car is just a 911 IMHO. That’s not to say those cars aren’t fantastic, but this car, it’s special. That balsa shift knob not only harkens to the 917 it goes back further than that.

It’s truly bespoke from mechanicals to chassis to design. Ground up how it’s supposed to be done.

2. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    Here is another great in car video of track duty in a properly set up and driven CGT. Can still be fun on a short track even though she’s got legs built for the ring!

joe sackey likes this.
  3. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    #53 rmolke85, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Ripping off a 1/4 mile in 11.1. Car hooks up crazy good.

4. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    That is an impressive ancestry!

5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I have been offered this PTS Dark Metallic Blue CGT (1426) and was advised that it is the only one for the USA in this livery, can anyone confirm this?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

BMW.SauberF1Team and rmolke85 like this.
  6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  7. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    Correct. Would look pretty nice next to a Miura....

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    can't confirm but damn that looks good.

9. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Top two cars are spectacular ..... Just spectacular

MDS

10. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    joe sackey likes this.
  11. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

#61 Sterling Sackey, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    This has been debated on other forums, but so far there is no photographic evidence of another Dark Metallic Blue USA car! Other photos of this color online are all RoW-spec cars.

Here is another USA-supplied PTS blue.

Blue Mirabeau Metallic (PPG 525) exterior with contrasting Maserati Cuoio interior (owner samples confirmed on window sticker):

I believe this is another photo of the same car when on display at an auto show in Utah (car was originally delivered to Salt Lake City-area Porsche dealer Ken Garff Porsche). Completely different look in another light:

joe sackey likes this.
  12. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

#62 Sterling Sackey, Jan 27, 2018
    Jerry Seinfeld in his 2004 review of the Carrera GT for Automobile magazine:

"I even stood up and gave an impromptu congratulatory speech to the Porsche executives at lunch on the last day, to thank them for their wonderful hospitality and tell them they have successfully built the single greatest sports car in the history of the world to date. I know I’m only a comedian, but screw it, they have. I don’t care what anyone says. All the other superexotic fantasy whatevers, melt them back down; these bloody buggers have cracked it."

adr0104 and S_AGATA like this.
  13. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

#63 Sterling Sackey, Jan 28, 2018
    The Carrera GT's open-roof chassis managed to be stiffer than a contemporary 911 GT3 with the welded steel roll cage option, according to Porsche. This made for the best of both worlds, open-roof motoring without the lack of chassis rigidity often associated with it.

From Car & Driver's 2004 test: "The carbon-fiber chassis is made by ATR, the same company that produces the Enzo chassis. It's formed by placing about 1000 pieces of carbon-fiber cloth on molds that are first vacuum-bagged to prevent air bubbles and then cured under high temperature and pressure in an autoclave."

14. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

#64 Sterling Sackey, Jan 28, 2018
    Some honest pictures of each of the six standard colors, representing how they actually look in person. I think GT Silver was the most common color simply because it suits the car well, and in many instances looks more handsome than any other color! A mature color for a mature car... it helps highlight the fact that the CGT is less about the showiness associated with other supercars, and more about being a finely honed tool for precision driving.

GT Silver Metallic (Order Code U2):

Seal Grey Metallic (Order Code Y1):

Black (Order Code A1):

Basalt Black Metallic (Order Code Z4):

Guards Red (Order Code G1):

Fayence Yellow (Order Code Q2):

15. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Speaking of muted CGT colors, I am seeking a Black or Basalt Black Metallic car if anyone is willing to part with theirs!

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I think you'll remember retired GM Design Chief Ed Taylor tell us that the reason so many manufacturers use silver as a launch color and at Motor Shows for debut cars is, silver shows off the lines and shape so well.

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Jerry may be a comedian but he knows his cars, as we found out when we supplied him with the 288 GTO for his recent show.

18. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
  19. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    I believe the time it took to make one chassis was 500 man hours? This was still early enough to where they were hand laid then autoclaved.

Compared to today where the tubs get produced in minutes.

20. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013

I don’t think so, the CGT in GT silver is how it’s supposed to be. In the 50’s and 60’s Porsche motor sports color was SILVER! Really just the color of aluminum. It changed to motor sports white much later on. The original 550 718 spyders were all silver, the proverbial silver bullets. That’s why the Carrera GT in silver it is actually the most correct in my view.

An added bonus as joe points out totally correctly is that it shows the lines best and is a mature color for a mature car. There’s no childish wings and appendituwres on this car.

joe sackey likes this.
  21. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    These are fantastic videos on YouTube documenting the full design/build project 980.

22. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Who was his guest for that episode?

23. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

#74 Sterling Sackey, Jan 28, 2018
    joe sackey and rmolke85 like this.
  24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Can't say.

Indeed, underscored by the complimentary F50 in the background, which he has had for just 3 years.