Carrera GT | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Carrera GT

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Sterling Sackey, Jan 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    and the fact that it's carbon fiber and not cheap plastic (since most people never see it) speaks volumes about Porsche's attention to detail.

2. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

I currently have a Black / Black (Dark Natural Grey) low-mile Carrera GT available off-market if anyone is looking. Car is located in the Western USA. Would like to move it to an end-user, of course! [email protected]

3. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

#103 Sterling Sackey, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
  4. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    #104 willwork04, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Was the CGT actually ever raced?

5. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

My comment is tongue-in-cheek, the car is essentially a race car for the road.

6. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

#106 Sterling Sackey, Feb 27, 2018
    The only high-rev V10, carbon-tubbed, 6-speed manual, mid-engined roadster experience money can buy! The sole supercar that comes close to the CGT experience is the F50, and check out prices for those lately. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    I understand what you were saying. I was curious if one was actually ever privately campaigned.

8. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

#108 Sterling Sackey, Feb 27, 2018
    I believe the answer is no. The closest it ever came was the car below. Porsche refused to allow the team to race the car, further details at the link below. It's a shame because the Carrera GT suspension was derived directly from the Le Mans-winning GT1 race car's design, so it undoubtedly would have been formidable in racing. That said, it would have been an expensive solution for any sports car class, and wouldn't have been optimized for a prototype level class.

The BBS race-spec wheels on this car, however, were available to Carrera GT customers. They have been fitted on numerous Carrera GTs, mostly in Europe where owners tend to track their cars more often.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22726/lot/43/

NürScud likes this.
  9. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

This is a perfect summary on what the Carrera GT is and what makes it so special, Evo really puts out some great content:

tomc likes this.
  10. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Sterling, is that car belongs to Porsche now or it was sold to another owner?

11. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

I don't have any reason to believe so, it was always a privately owned car and I'm not sure Porsche would have any reason to buy it back (correct me if I'm wrong).

12. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    those BBS wheels made a guest appearance on Jay Leno's CGT when he and David Donahue did their speed record at Talladega. they really look great.

13. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

I believe Jay still has his, #0268 GT Silver / Terracotta. And he does use it, as with all his cars:

14. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

A nice Automobile Magazine review of the car upon it's debut linked below. An interesting few tidbits of information in this article straight from the source...

...Porsche tester Roland Kussmaul says that some of the prototypes have been clocked at up to 218 mph, but one would need a ton of room to achieve that....

...“It actually beats the Ferrari [Enzo] against the stopwatch,” remarks a grinning Rohrl, “but I’m not supposed to tell you that. The margin is actually quite narrow.” ...

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/porsche-carrera-gt/

joe sackey likes this.
  15. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    What range in price and miles are these selling at now ?

MDS

16. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    I know Ralph Lauren has two Silver/Ascot CGTs that he rotates. I saw one of them in service when our car went in years ago and the tech takes care of the other one as well.

Plate was RLX if I remember.

joe sackey likes this.
  17. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

The price factors on CGT from obvious to less obvious are miles, paintwork originality, cosmetic condition (these are over a decade old, and there are plenty of rough cars now), color (GT Silver can be $100k cheaper than a Black car in many cases, for example), year ('05 sells higher than '04), major and minor service status, clutch measurement (30.4mm when new, 28.0mm when spent), any mechanical needs (common issues include the shock absorbers failing if not exercised due to their horizontal positioning, hydraulic rear wing lift mechanism failure, dry rubber components from aging, old tires, moisture/cloudiness in the headlights, etc.), and inclusion of the originally supplied accessories (luggage, tools, books, keys, window sticker, etc.).

All this considered, a tired '04 in GT Silver would likely dip into the high $500k's, and the finest Paint to Sample '05 would likely sell in the $800k's. It's hard to pin down exact prices, as the market is currently trending upward and sales are not 100% consistent at the moment. These estimates on selling prices (note: very different from dealer asking prices!) are just based on my personal experience and observations so far this year.

joe sackey and schwoo like this.
  18. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Spot on. Exactly what I've found. There is one coming up at auction next week at Amelia. Curious as to what it reaches.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sterling Sackey likes this.
  19. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

I should add to the above, I have gathered from Carrera GT technicians who are truly in the know that the cars must be driven at least a few hundred miles per year to be considered properly exercised. Less than that, and the car will almost certainly begin to have more issues to deal with than a car that is driven. Some Carrera GT buyers who have purchased "delivery mile" or sub-1,000 mile cars in recent years have found a lot of maintenance will be necessary on these examples that might not be needed on, say, a 5,000-mile car that has been driven more often.

This might seem obvious to some, but if you look at the prices paid for some of these ultra-low mile cars I would argue that it's not obvious enough. :)

20. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

#120 Sterling Sackey, Mar 5, 2018
    One more misconception to debunk before I'm done...

The oft-discussed clutch on this car can actually last more than 50,000 miles if used properly. There are plenty of owners, especially in Europe where the cars are driven more often (and thus owners have more practice behind the wheel), who have CGTs with 20,000 or 30,000 plus miles on the original clutch, with plenty of measurement left. That said, this clutch is much more sensitive to proper use vs. improper use than a standard clutch, meaning that improper use can make it wear much more quickly than a standard clutch. The main key to guaranteeing clutch life on this car is to take advantage of the ECU's built-in auto-throttle function when starting in 1st gear. Yes, this can make for slower starts, but I would argue that is worth saving a $20,000+ clutch! In addition, it's best to take care when shifting to release the clutch fully before applying power again, as it's easy to burn or glaze the clutch on upshifts with such a free-revving engine that has almost zero flywheel effect.

joe sackey likes this.
  21. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Good analysis, but I would say that range is slightly narrow. "Tired" GT Silver 04s will be much lower than "high $500k's" and the finest PTS cars cannot be had for anywhere near $800k.

22. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

#122 Sterling Sackey, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    I don't doubt that or disagree, I'm probably narrow on this because I try not to deal with the tired cars and the PTS cars are as rare as hen's teeth. I did say $800k's though, not $800k specifically. Keep in mind a PTS Midnight Blue Metallic car was offered for under $1 million back when the market overall was much hotter. :)

23. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    I was simply using the terms you chose. "Tired" 04s will not be in the high $500s and the "finest" PTS cars cannot be had in the $800s, even if the Midnight Blue car was available for under $1mm.

I think the best way to put it is that the market varies widely, with many possible outliers. :)

24. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

On the '04s, yes, that's why I already said I don't disagree. :)

On the PTS cars, I'm sure sellers want that sort of money, but the question is whether the current market can provide the buyers who will put up the cash. It's not really a market unless buyers and sellers are meeting and transactions are happening, so my number reflected what I think an actual sale would take place at keeping a theoretical 2018 buyer in mind. The fact is, even when the market was hotter, PTS cars were, at least publicly, under $1million (see the 2016 Gooding no-sale @ $925,000 for the PTS Ferrari Rosso Corsa car with 450 miles), and the only cars selling just over $1million publicly were some delivery-mile or ultra-low mile standard color examples (silly but true). Logical reasoning assumes one would transact a bit lower today. But you may know of recent sales that I don't, if there has been a sale in the $900k's or $1m+ recently, that's great news for these cars.

25. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    It would be good to have more auction results of cars successfully sold to establish values of PTS cars, and standard color cars as well.