Carrozzeria VIGNALE - Ferraris bodied by Vignale | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Carrozzeria VIGNALE - Ferraris bodied by Vignale

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Marcel Massini, Dec 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Amen to that.

Looking through this thread, there is almost a discrepancy amongst the bodies created by Vignale. Some have incredibly simple and pure lines, others are, in my opinion, way over the top and incoherent. It would be very interesting to know who penned which particular bodies, as I don't think they all came from the same hand.

My favourite car has to be Jan Smits' 179(?), of which I'd love to see some period pics.

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Great car!

Best

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    See photo on page 16 of "Cavallino" magazine, issue #1, of September 1978. Or page 120 of my book "Ferrari by Vignale".
    Marcel Massini

4. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Completely, totally disagree with you.
    Cheers,
    Dave

5. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Fantastic car! full of character, used in the way it was meant to be!

6. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    The car is what it is. It certainly is unique. The only other one that is in this state of "patina" is 052M. Mechanically, it would have to be in tip top shape; it is campaigned regularly. But, at this point, cosmetic renovation in any partial form would be a mistake.

john

7. MarkL

MarkL Karting
    Owner

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    0071S is the real deal. Well maintained mechanically by Motion Products last 3+ years and yet sympathetically retains all that left the Ferrari factory. Very unique and special to those that appreciate history. Beautiful and wonderful car!

8. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    One cannot fail to thank Marcel for the suggestion, and all others who posted these lovely pix. In my view, this was the most exciting period of the Ferrari factory's history. Almost all the cars were unique, and those bodied by Vignale were unfailingly fascinating. It was, in part, that element of uniqueness that had me hooked on Ferraris as soon as I saw my first one (a Vignale berlinetta with a large chrome trim piece around the front and sides of the engine compartment). In retrospect, the Vignale designs ranged from absolutely exquisite, to unusual, to downright bizzarro (you can figure out which is which). One wonders why some are so stunningly successful and others, well... Was Michelotti always the designer? I guess when I get home I'll have to drag out Marcel's book for a re-read. Anyway, thanks!

9. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Ed, yes, see my question of a few posts back.

In this light it should also be noted that a lot of the now 'clean' looking cars shed their busy chrome decorations, adapting them to 'what we like to see' in more modern times.

Another influence on this would be the brief that the owner gave Vignale when a car was to be constructed. I suppose in the days you also had the different camps within the then small following of Ferrari, those who went after the true sportscar vs. the gold-chain crowd. Pardon the categorisation, but in my opinion this best describes the vast difference in styles.

10. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    #285 michael platzer, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    F40org likes this.
  11. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    A more appropriate distinction might be between those headed for the street and those headed for the track. The ornamentation that some of us see as almost like fine jewelry should be seen in the context of the time they were built and not judged by today's tastes.

12. driver

driver Karting

Sep 19, 2002
    A couple of cars that I am somewhat familiar with haven't been mentioned. A gentleman by the name of Fred Herdeen, now deceased, owned 069S, a coupe that he drove quite vigorously. I was following him to the Bridgehampton track, and watched him jump the railroad tracks on Scuttlehole Rd. He told me that the car was shown in Paris at the 1949 show. The other car is a 250MM, 0336MM, owned and driven by Gene Greenspun in the 1956 Sebring race, number 32. I am not sure, but I think that it is now owned by Tony Wang.
    Joel

13. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    0069S was built in 1950...

14. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The factory issued the Certificate of Origin for 0069 S on the 1st September 1950.
    Marcel Massini

15. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Always perfectly accurate Marcel !!!

16. Ferri

Ferri Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hugo Garritsen
    #291 Ferri, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    F40org likes this.
  17. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    0110 E. Pictured in the current owner's garage. Name redacted out of respect for his privacy. There are earlier references to this car in this thread.

Cheers,
    Dave

18. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Also, yellow car is a Fiat 8V with Zagato coachwork with, IIRC, MM competition history.

Best.

19. anton

anton Karting

May 8, 2004
    Yes, chassis 000082, originally silver with blue interior.
    Anton

20. AlfettaGTV

AlfettaGTV Karting

Nov 6, 2007
    A Coruna, Spain
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Seco
    Hi!
    This car not only shows "patina"..... each ding, each blemish in the paint, each hole in the body has a story..... all these things tranforms an old dirty racing car in a wonderfull rolling piece of history.

Really nice.

Best regards,
    Alvaro.

21. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    That looks like quite the collection, does anyone here collect 8V pictures by chassis #?

22. Doug R

Doug R Karting

Oct 11, 2005
    Yellow Springs Ohio
    Didn't mean to cause a stir, when I tried reading the descriptive plaques before posting the resolution seemed too poor to do so. I did ask permission to take the photos----.

23. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Permission of making a picture is something different that throwing it on the internet....
    ciao
    Oscar

24. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    #300 dretceterini, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2009

Richard:

I have some sorted by chassis number, but they all have appeared elsewhere. I you are intersted in 8Vs and Siata 208s, I would strongly suggest you pick up a copy of Tony Adriaensens book. I loaned Tony all my 8V and Siata stuff, as did many others to help him do the book, which he took something like 10 yeas to do. Anton (Tony) Kravanek also helped him a great deal, as he is probably the world expert on 8V mechanics, and has been involved in the restoration of a number of them. The book is quite expensive, however, at around $600 including the post. Here is a link: http://www.corsaresearch.com/ottovu.html