Carrozzeria VIGNALE - Ferraris bodied by Vignale | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Carrozzeria VIGNALE - Ferraris bodied by Vignale

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Marcel Massini, Dec 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    The two cars in Post 345 are true contemporaries, but interesting how the Vignale humbles the XK120 in sex appeal here; kind of like the way the Miura humbled its contemporaries.

john

2. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    #352 GIOTTO, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Roberto Rossellini in his 250MM #0230MM. This car was later rebodied by Scaglietti and is in the fabulous Schlumpf collection in France. (photo from LIFE magazine).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Mr. Massini;

Do you know where this car is today?

thanks

rik

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    In a private collection, Far East.
    Marcel Massini

5. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Thank you very much

rik

6. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #356 SonomaRik, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
    As a side note, I am in communication with a gentleman who's father in 1954 bought 0353, for $2,000, and imported to Los Angeles from Milan, restored and exhibited. Says it was sold in 1975, to Wayne Golumb. Other accounts had it possibly in Ohio subsequent to 1975. He still has most of the original documentation from the restoration.

I am attempting to get copies of the docs [including original Bill of Lading, owners manual, restoration and sale notes and letters], and make no claim to any of this as authentic, but thought I'd pass it along till it resolves.

rik

7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    0353:
    20 December 1954 sold to 1st owner, in Italy.
    10 October 1956 sold to 2nd owner, in Italy.
    1 July 1958 sold to 3rd owner, in Italy.
    13 December 1958 exported from Italy to USA.
    Wayne Golomb bought it 1974 and kept it until 1995.
    I have all the old Italian road registration documents with full names and details.
    Marcel Massini

8. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    #358 thepinkumbrella, Jan 15, 2009
  9. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #359 Julio Batista, Jan 15, 2009
  10. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    0146 E.
    Marcel Massini

11. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I have been trying to send you docs, and pics but they are being returned to me. Please PM me with a different email

rik

12. gtamerica

gtamerica Karting

Aug 4, 2004
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Terry Healy
    #362 gtamerica, Jan 17, 2009
  13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005

Terry
    There is a separate thread about this car, 0337 AL, with tons of pix about the current restoration. Check it out.
    Marcel Massini

14. HK500

HK500 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007
    Germany
    Fantastic pictures!!!
    Thank you!

15. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #365 Julio Batista, Jan 17, 2009
    0217 el was owned by John Lundin, the first president of the FCA, for more than 25 years. The car was painted bronze and known as "old brown". It must have gone to many meets with john Lundin, but I have found very few pictures.

Any chance some of you might have some pictures of 0217 el?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. masermad

masermad Rookie

Jan 13, 2009
    In the summer of 1968 during the time of the French student riots, I went with a couple of friends to follow a couple of Grand Prix. After watching the Belgium GP at Spa we drove down into Switzerland to waste a few days prior to a F2 race at Hochenheim.
    We drove from Basle to Zurich and a little way into the town we stopped at a service station on the right of a very busy junction.
    After fuelling up we noticed a little car stood at the back of the forecourt. It looked interesting so we went to inspect it.
    I have often wondered just what model it was, it had obviously been a full racing Ferrari, not a road car, very small, low roof, slit windows, the door curved at the rear to follow the wheel arch and the headlights were faired at an angle into the end of the wings which to me seemed unusual. The open cars in this thread remind me of it's front.
    Inside it had the most incredible buck seats, very deep, brown leather, and the inside looked very cramped.
    I was used to seeing the occasional early Ferrari, 195 and 212, and 250 berlinettas etc but nothing quite like this.
    My pal went and asked a man if we could see the engine, and although neither of us could understand the other, he made enough gestures and laughed to make us think maybe the motor was blown or not there.
    When he lifted the bonnet we realised perhaps why.......... Wrong engine!
    Fitted in the fairly small engine bay was a 4 cylinder Mercedes engine, either a 190 or 200 series.
    I always regretted not taking a photo or collecting numbers but in those days it was just a bit of a curiosity, and we often found such cars, especially around the back of workshops.
    Later I began to realise it had been so small that it must have been a bit of an oddity, but what I don't know.
    The engine bay probably wasn't big enought to take 12 cylinders, hence the little 4.
    It was in extremely good condition and I cannot imagine that it would have vanished, I wonder if this gives enough clues to
    identify it or if indeed anyone remembers it. I'm sure any enthusiast from Zurich would remember it.
    I had the impression of a car about the size of a Giulietta Sprint, TVR Grantura or Healey 3000, especially inside.
    Now I see the picture of this car in post 186 I would say that was about what we saw.
    Any ideas anyone?

17. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Hi, Masermad,
    Welcome!
    What about a O.S.C.A. or Siata, they had small cars and engines and look sporty. Vignale made a couple of these.
    ciao
    O.S.C.A.R.

ps a couple of years ago I almost bought a very nice O.S.C.A. Vignale, last year it was in the TA (France), unfortunately it had a remake body

18. masermad

masermad Rookie

Jan 13, 2009
    No! Definitely Ferrari! Not just a badge! We knew it was Ferrari but what model, just assumed 212 or some such. Not 250.
    I'd seen 0357GT- the first 250GT, dissmantled in a farm yard near Cirencester a year previously, (£450!) and various other early cars too, I'll have to find photos and details if I still have them. I knew a bit.
    We realised it was a very early competition car, we'd been looking at a T de France only a couple of days before.
    This was more compact and was from an earlier time.
    Being from UK we didn't get to see these early cars, as there weren't many in the country, only when we went into Europe, and we knew of dealers and places to go to find exotics. One reason for being in Switzerland was to visit Jo Siffert's garage amongst others. We had to keep out of France because of the riots, so LeMans was cancelled and no visits to Paris scrap yards.
    I just wish I'd taken pictures.
    Thinking back, and by what I've learned in the last 40 years (probably not much!!!) I feel sure it was one of the small Vignale coupes, maybe the lamps had been modified later to have the fared in appearance.
    A few years later one of my friends had a 212 competition car with Vignale bodywork, so I had/have a rough idea of what's what.
    This car I mention I feel was not a V12, and I've just never seen much about such competition models.
    Even in 1968 there would have been enough interest and I'm sure this car will have survived.

19. masermad

masermad Rookie

Jan 13, 2009
    #369 masermad, Jan 19, 2009
  20. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE

21. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    #371 thepinkumbrella, Jan 19, 2009
  22. masermad

masermad Rookie

Jan 13, 2009
    Hi, thanks for your interest! Not blue and not with normal sticking out headlights.
    Definiitely was red, and the nearest looking car I've seen is the "625TF"? photo on post 186, the car rallying in the Alps.
    What struck me most about it and stayed with me was the faired angle of the headlights and how compact it was, like the open spider bodied cars but the closed part reminds me of the coupes which ran in the Carrera.(post 36 I think).
    If you made a coupe out of the red spider in post 327,that would be it!
    The seats were like on post 324. I was used to seeing, at that time modern rally buckets by Restall, and these looked "more" of a seat if you know what I mean. I hope I got these post nos correct!
    This is an amazingly interesting thread, I like these early cars, I think maybe Vignale were the best at that time.
    Also it amazes me how much knowledge is out there, I thought the replacement by a Mercedes 190 engine might ring a few bells!
    To everybody....thanks. JC.

23. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Can't see the car it was. 0300M and 0308M didn't have the Vignale coupe body in 1968.

BTW : 0096E did have a large grill in 60-80's, very different from the one it has today...

24. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Not really exactly the car you described, but what do you think of 0334MM, a 250 MM Vignale coupe which was in Switzerland in 1968. Could it be this car ??

25. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #375 Ed Niles, Jan 19, 2009